NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

I never could have imagined knocking the guy that had the non Bulls J. My first was the 7, and Bords to me were just as impressive. In the late 80s, I was wearing generics so I cant speak for the talk then. I do remember the Grapes never appealing to me though.
First shoe I wanted was the Black Infra, but at the same time thought the Maroons were awesome. Hell at that time, I just wanted A Jordan so I would have never been picky back then. The only thing I remember being razzed about was for wearing the "last years Jordan". I was so happy to have them so that never bothered me.
It wasn’t really knocking the kids who had them per se, it was knocking the colorway/shoe itself because it just seemed out of place. My school was probably weird. Sneakers were kind of a thing and everyone was a critic of all kinds of models, not just Jordans LOL

It wasn’t really knocking the kids who had them per se, it was knocking the colorway/shoe itself because it just seemed out of place. My school was probably weird. Sneakers were kind of a thing and everyone was a critic of all kinds of models, not just Jordans LOL
During my 6th grade 92-93 school year, I had to move from up North to near central Ind. Hated it btw. The shoe culture scene was totally different. The Air Jordan was god like at my previous school, where as at my new school, no one was impressed. They all liked Cons, LJs and KJS. To be a Bulls/MJ fan was like, wrong. lol. Never changed up though. So I get what your saying. I got to see both sides of the coin there. It was def weird. All schools and areas are different for sure.

Screenshot_20200728-014528~2.png

My favorite Jordan merch of all time. I like his face in this picture. Makes me 😊

Those grape V’s hit the clearance table back in the day, picked up a pair for $60, I put them in the closet for years, sold them for $650 much later, the mid soles were beginning to crack and crumble at that point but were never even tried on at least while I owned them, can’t speak on if they were tried on while sitting on the clearance table at JC. Penny before I grabbed them.

Those grape V’s hit the clearance table back in the day, picked up a pair for $60, I put them in the closet for years, sold them for $650 much later, the mid soles were beginning to crack and crumble at that point but were never even tried on at least while I owned them, can’t speak on if they were tried on while sitting on the clearance table at JC. Penny before I grabbed them.
Imagine if JC Penney still stocked shoes like this? Around that time my mom got me this oversized (which are back) white and purple Mars t-shirt with Jordan orbiting the Earth with matching purple shorts. I loved that outfit. Those grapes would have looked nice but I wore nike running sneakers. The only grapes I'd find would be in my lunch box.

l3xu1usx3wrfhsheg1iy.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. A non-Bulls colorway back in the day was basically a joke to everyone I knew.
Thank god tinker had the foresight to think differently from you and everyone you knew. You sound wild right now and everyone that co-signs, that goes for y’all too. Mj gave the ok to every shoe style and color, and that’s alright with me . His shoe, his liking, his look. Thank god mj had the foresight to trust tinker and not y’all.

Thank god tinker had the foresight to think differently from you and everyone you knew. You sound wild right now and everyone that co-signs, that goes for y’all too. Mj gave the ok to every shoe style and color, and that’s alright with me . His shoe, his liking, his look. Thank god mj had the foresight to trust tinker and not y’all.
Fair point but we’re talking about the climate 30 years ago, so frankly no one sounds wild. I’d bet you a million dollars if we could see the sales reports from back then, the alternate colorways were nowhere near the same success as the “inline” colorways.

People wanted what MJ was wearing on the court. These were a basketball shoe first, casual shoe second. And you were extremely lucky if you got more than one colorway of a single shoe. Things were different. People didn’t have a collection of 100+ shoes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking non-Bulls colors in general. Just saying back in the 90s nobody wanted em. When you were given a choice of a Black/Metallic 5 or a Grape 5 what do you think the choice was 99/100 times? Or a Black/Infrared 6 vs a Maroon 6?

Things were different. People didn’t have a collection of 100+ shoes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking non-Bulls colors in general. Just saying back in the 90s nobody wanted em. When you were given a choice of a Black/Metallic 5 or a Grape 5 what do you think the choice was 99/100 times? Or a Black/Infrared 6 vs a Maroon 6?

Very true. What I love about the Military Blues is that they are somewhat low-key and with the blue, more matchable when it comes to outfits.

When a man wears red, he's making a bold statement. It's almost confrontational.

During my 6th grade 92-93 school year, I had to move from up North to near central Ind. Hated it btw. The shoe culture scene was totally different. The Air Jordan was god like at my previous school, where as at my new school, no one was impressed. They all liked Cons, LJs and KJS. To be a Bulls/MJ fan was like, wrong. lol. Never changed up though. So I get what your saying. I got to see both sides of the coin there. It was def weird. All schools and areas are different for sure.

Yea, this is definitely a phenomena everywhere. I'd like to read more about it. A lot of reporting on shoe culture is inaccurate when it comes to the past. They just go with the mainstream narratives.

Where I was, a lot of the Air Max basketball shoes (Mainly the Barkley's, Webber's, Penny's) were more prestigious than the Jordans because they costed more and had huge air bubbles. Even some of the Air Max running shoes were sought-after because of how much they costed.

People wanted what MJ was wearing on the court. These were a basketball shoe first, casual shoe second. And you were extremely lucky if you got more than one colorway of a single shoe. Things were different. People didn’t have a collection of 100+ shoes.

This is all true. Things were very different back then. I could only afford one Jordan and as a kid you wanted what you saw him do on the court. Jordan’s were the highest priced basketball shoes at the time and you had to make that one purchase worth it. Nobody had a huge collection like today.

This is all true. Things were very different back then. I could only afford one Jordan and as a kid you wanted what you saw him do on the court. Jordan’s were the highest priced basketball shoes at the time and you had to make that one purchase worth it. Nobody had a huge collection like today.
Back in the day, for someone to have one Jordan for every year, for say 1 thru 4 would have been hardcore and seen as decadent. At least where I grew up. People were into real estate and cars back then (when real estate was affordable 💀)

I used to get made fun of because not only would I wear the new jordans but I would also wear the previous models also. this was back in like 93 or so I actually had a shoe collection in the early 90s, nothing like people have now but I had about 6 or so pairs of jordans and another 10 to 20 pairs of other nikes and adidas, puma, Diadora, bk, troops you name it I had them. I actually remember when big 5 sold Jordan 1s and they couldn't give them away I remember seeing metallics and Chicago's stacked up for 19.99, yes those were the good ole days. in 99 when I found NT I thought it was the best thing ever, people that actually liked old shoes like me lol been hooked on shoes since the mid 80s im 43 and
I still love shoes as much as I did back then maybe even more now because of the great memories.

Very true. Things were very different. You really did have to pick one colorway. Even my friends who had way more money than me didn’t get a second cw. And certainly nobody had a collection of Js either. Hell I was different just by having the black tongue fire red 5s. The grapes weren’t had by many at all. From what I remember.

I do remember around 89 with IV’s, I had blasted straight thru one pair of the b/c colorway by playing outdoor ball in them and went and bought another pair (funny how they were still in stock lol) and thinking I should try and buy another extra pair to put on the shelf as I liked them so much, there weren’t any people I recall that had thought of buying multiples of the same colorway but fast forward 30 years later and here I am buying multiple pairs but not because I am going to destroy them playing in them....lol.

I’ve been wearing air maxes for over 15 years and changing up to a pair of Jordans felt weird.
Been rocking the fire reds aj4 since I got them and damn they hurt my feet :lol::lol:

How old are you? None of my friends or anyone I knew were buying real estate and cars. :lol:
As a kid (8th grade and below) the only way to aquire Jordans was to have your parents buy them for you, which was rare in itself due to the high price point.

There were adults who also wore Air Jordans, like my 43 year old gym teacher and my friends father, for example. But they weren't buying multiple pairs or even a new pair every year. Instead, they would be focused on buying homes or cars. Real estate was VERY cheap in the 1980's and early 1990's and affordable compared to today.

The Baby Boom generation (people born between 1945-1965) came of age during the greatest economic boom in human history. This was greatly due to the destruction of European manufacturing during WW2.

Industrial plants in America became the center of production for the entire world. People had good union jobs that were protected with steadily rising wages. But since the 1980's, along with the creation NAFTA in 1993, all US manufacturing has been slowly outsourced to China, Mexico, etc.

America is essentially just a place to shop now. There is little to no manufacturing here anymore. People can't even afford to have kids, let alone purchase a home without being endebted to the banks. This is the end game of neo-liberal capitalism, which is a horrible system imo.

*I'm the same age as Kobe 🚁

kobe-bryant-air-jordan-iv-white-red-01.jpg

Last edited:
People had grape 5's but only ppl I knew that had em were people that had a lot of the other ones first. My best friend had em but he had all the 5's. His parents were upper middle class but spoiled him rotten. I was crazy jealous of his kick game back then! But yeah, no one was buying the Grapes as their first 5.

Back
Top Bottom