Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

also - the late '80's (into 90) air force logo (with the half basketball) looked much better to me than the early '90's air force logo
again - the golden age like you said b :nthat:

HELL yeah, I agree. The Force logo that started in '91 around the time of the Command Force was cool, and I liked it, but the Force logo with the basketball was an all-time classic. From the days of the denim Force jacket and shorts, and the classic Air Force V. I'll take the black AF V lows with the white lining, please. LOL.

It's like the difference between the changes in the Flight logo from around '91 where the logo was based around the triangular F, versus the Flight cursive script. I loved the triangle, but the script is on a different level. We need Flight 90's and Solo Flights to come back, too, BTW.

Looking back on it, it's almost like '91 was the beginning of a re-branding. New Force and Flight logos, and the AJ was about to go without the Swoosh. I believe the VI was the last model in the MJ/Mars campaign, and also the last to be part of the official Jordan/Flight marriage.

Last edited:
HELL yeah, I agree. The Force logo that started in '91 around the time of the Command Force was cool, and I liked it, but the Force logo with the basketball was an all-time classic. From the days of the denim Force jacket and shorts, and the classic Air Force V. I'll take the black AF V lows with the white lining, please. LOL.

It's like the difference between the changes in the Flight logo from around '91 where the logo was based around the triangular F, versus the Flight cursive script. I loved the triangle, but the script is on a different level. We need Flight 90's and Solo Flights to come back, too, BTW.

Looking back on it, it's almost like '91 was the beginning of a re-branding. New Force and Flight logos, and the AJ was about to go without the Swoosh. I believe the VI was the last model in the MJ/Mars campaign, and also the last to be part of the official Jordan/Flight marriage.

So what happened? Did you pick up the flight suit this morning?

I would be interested in the flight suits, but no one seems know anything about them, including Nike customer service.

Last edited:
Damn, and I thought I had a good memory for obscure things from my childhood . You know the exact date? Props man.
Had these at the time, 8th/9th grade. One of my favorites, but I skipped the 2016 retro. Something about them just seems off to me, not sure what. It might be the finish on the tongue, but every time I see pics, I wonder why I didn't just buy them anyway.

To the point about memories, I had this issue. Seems like yesterday. I clearly remember having it in art class and using it to draw from. I also remember looking at these pics that day and losing my mind over the 23 stitched on the heel; that is the first thing resembling a PE I ever saw. Also, it drove me crazy how with both the IVs and Vs Mike wore, his tongues were always positioned perfectly with the full jumpman clearly visible. (Back then, we didn't know it was called the jumpman, we called it either the flight man or flight guy in my school lol). On my store-bought IVs and Vs, the tongues were always obscured by the laces, they weren't long tongues like MJ's pair had, or like what they did on these retros. I was constantly pulling on them trying to match MJ's look, always to no avail and always frustrated my shoes didn't look like his :lol:

I'm going to date myself with this post but after reading the above it bought back memories of when I was a young kid in school and had a similar assignment for my art class. I had to find a photo from a recent magazine and do a reproduction drawing as close to the original as possible. No problem I thought. Since I was a sports junkie I figured I would locate a cool photo from one of my Sports Illustrated magazines. I had a subscription back then and kept every issue. As a side-note, up through the 80's Sports Illustrated was THE magazine for Sports. It was a really big deal, great photos and cool stories about all things sports. Remember, no internet back then and other than Wide World of Sports on Channel 7, S.I. was the place to get the info. Usually, I couldn't wait to get my weekly issue. It was such an important part of my life I kept an uninterrupted subscription for 25+ years.

OK, back to the art assignment which I remember like yesterday. I decided I would bring in a S.I. issue with an Indy car on the cover. I thought it would be a fairly easy drawing. As it turns out, the day before the assignment was due, I received my new SI issue and big Wilt was on the cover. He was in a yellow Lakers jersey with his iconic headband and big muscles holding onto a ball. I idolized Wilt just like many other kids did.

At the last minute with with the assignment coming due, I ditched the Indy car and decided to draw big Wilt. Well, I soon learned an important lesson, drawing a human being was a hell of a lot harder than drawing a car. In the end my drawing turn out pretty crappy and I recall getting a C or C- for the assignment. "Art" as it turned out, was not my calling in life, lol.

However, I still remembered that cover in my minds eye and I thought why not check the web to see if I can find that memorable cover from 45 years ago.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet here it is:

View media item 2480984

Well, the official Jordan article said the suits would be on NDC at 7AM Pacific, and lo and behold, not one got damn suit to be seen.

Last edited:
We are talking about 2 different things. Now I remember the clothes you are talking about, because I remember asking myself why they put out elephant print stuff with the V's from that year.

What I'm talking about is a Retro of the original AJ III warm up suit. This was released in the early 10's, probably 2011 actually now that I think about it. There may have been a Retro white version too, but I'm not sure. I always personally preferred black versions of warm up suits, but for this one the white version would've been CLEAN. I pulled mine out of the closet for a quick pic:

View media item 2480619
I didn't realize the tags were still on my jacket. I thought I wore this suit once or twice but I guess maybe I never did? The pants tag isn't attached. The jacket retailed for $90 and I believe the pants were $80. This is a pretty faithful rendition of the original 1988 warm up suit. Note even the elephant print included inside the tear away zippers on the pants legs. The only apparent detail exception being that it has no Nike branding.

EDIT - This suit was from March 2011. I found my old order confirmation. The jacket was $90 and the pants were $70. I got the pants from Eastbay but they initially had the jacket backordered, so instead of waiting, I remember I found the jacket on either Nike or Finish Line and bought it there. Although quantity on these was probably somewhat limited, availability on these was NOT limited; there were several sites selling them.

I loved how with the III, IV, and V warm up suits, you could see a design progression through the years just like you could see in the shoes. The III jacket was like black and cement luxury with the elephant print and clean pinstripe across the front, which graduated to the IV jacket with its thicker red strips, Flight patch, and total utilitarian-looking design style. Which in turn evolved to the V jacket with its streamlined, spreading, wing-like lines and the futuristic, ahead of its time, wavy single stripe across the front and back flowing down both sleeves. Then, both the VI shoe and jacket to come were something totally different. With the marriage of the Jordan and Flight product lines, 1988-1990 was truly a Golden Age for Nike basketball design.

The III jacket is Retro, the IV and V are both originals:

View media item 2480660

I Too Have An Affinity For Old Jordan Apparel And Loving These Posts Homie :nthat:

27 years :wow:

I still remember that time vividly. The best way to describe these shoes my way was absolute chaos. These were literally the status symbol of all symbols back then. Kids even had the white pairs and were spray painting them black. People were glued to TV's watchin Mike rocking these in the playoffs or nerding out when Will Smith had them on his show. We raced to the mailbox to grab S.I. each week hoping they had clear pics. News shows were telling us kids were getting murdered for 'em.

I still remember the Summer of '90 vividly. Rocking these Metallic 5s and hooping outside while the parked Jeeps, Suzuki Samurais, and the Acura Legends would be blasting Big DaddyKane out the trunk.  It still takes me back to that Summer every time I throw these on. Damn I miss the '90s. 

Here is a trip down memory lane and the summer of '90 Sports Illustrated spreads I was talking about earlier... old guys remember that it was a big deal to get your issue :lol:

View media item 2479402View media item 2479403View media item 2479408View media item 2479411

I had meant to get back to you guys on these nostalgia comments before I got caught up in the craziness around finding the suit the past 2 days. This particular suit is a BIG deal to me. Still don't have one in hand, yet.

Anyway, ahh, the spring/summer of 1990. One of my favorite times in my whole life. I got a taste of things on both coasts in 1990. I spent most of that summer in Baltimore, where I'm originally from. But I had moved to NorCal in late summer '89, and culturally it was a magical time to be in California. We of course had the famous earthquake. The A's and Niners won chips, and most of the CA sports teams were at least good. Arguably the greatest era of pro basketball was being played. The Great One was setting the ice on fire down south. Pretty much all the music was banging. The memories are so vivid. If you guys want to reminisce about 1990, I'm your guy. LOL.

I'll start with the shoes. Since you know SI, RyGuy, do you remember this?

View media item 2481197
A classmate of mine brought the Buster Douglas issue of SI to school in about mid February of '90, shortly after Iron Mike was rendered mortal, and the whole class freaked when they saw the above pic. This was the VERY FIRST public pic of the Jordan V. Kids broke their damn necks to get to the malls or sports shops when these started rolling out at the end of the month. This shoe was so far ahead of its time, the release was insanity. I was kind of screwed because I had just spent my Christmas money on a pair of Lava Tech Challenge II's literally 2 weekends before I saw this SI. My parents didn't buy me anything more expensive than Chucks or Airwalks, ever, so I had to start saving again from scratch. 4 months later, after the huge disappointment of MJ's Conference Final Game 7 fall, I was able to get the black V's the day after I flew back to Baltimore, and I spent the greatest summer of my life with the greatest V's of all glued to my feet. Even at the beach. LOL.

When I opened up that black and silver splattered box, I was surprised to find this inside:

View media item 2481202
This catalog would forever make me link this specific suit with these shoes, but literally everything in the catalog was a piece of heat. I must've spent countless hours that summer just looking through it, wishing I could afford everything in it. LOL. I never was able to get the suit while it was in stores. I had to settle for watching Will Smith wear it from afar on TV every week in the fall.

Anyway, pop culture from 1990 was pretty fun. Music was a big thing to junior high schoolers. The jeeps in Baltimore were blasting 2 Live Crew and Big Daddy Kane much like I imagine they were in NY, but the Hondas and Mustangs in Cali were bumping NWA, Ice-T, Too $hort, Digital Underground, and even still MC Hammer at that time. Hammer actually lived about a half mile up the hill from where I lived, and I ran into him out and about on occasion. Me and a group of my schoolmates used to play pickup basketball a couple times a week at a local elementary school with a few of his bodyguards. One looked like a really short version of Joe Montana, LOL. Anyway, the old '90 summer playlist had some classics that people tend to forget about. Me So Horny, C'mon Babe, U Can't Touch This, Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin', It Takes Two, Bust A Move, Poison, Pump Up The Jam, The Humpty Dance (and Freaks of the Industry), The Power, Funhouse (Kid 'n Play), My Hooptie, sheesh, I could go on. And how could I neglect to mention that Ice Ice Baby was beginning to explode in the summer of '90? Some of these videos were hilarious too. Baltimore had this channel called the Video Jukebox where you could call in and request your favorite music videos to play for like a buck or two. My friends and I stayed up all night watching it and recording stuff on VHS, LOL.

Hmm, what video games were we playing in 1990? Super Mario 3 was about the hottest thing on the planet at that point, and do you guys remember the kinda heavy handed Fred Savage 100 minute advertisement for SMB 3, a.k.a. The Wizard? LOL. Besides that, I was still playing Dragon Warrior, me and a few other RPG geek friends were grinding through Ultima 3 yet again on the NES, I had just discovered Shadowgate, and Final Fantasy hit the NES that July. The Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were also starting to gain momentum as the next generation of gaming, and Altered Beast, Phantasy Star II, The Legendary Axe, Keith Courage, and Blazing Lazers were popular on those platforms.

'90 had some entertaining flicks, too. By the end of that summer I had seen Tremors (several times), Back to the Future II and III, House Party, Total Recall, Gremlins 2, The Wizard, Arachnophobia, Robocop 2, The Exorcist III, and Flatliners (a sequel is actually coming up soon).

Last but not least, who could forget some of the most notable TV of '90? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air tops the list. I had to go SOMEWHERE to get my Nike and Jordan fix. Besides that, there was also The Cosby Show, A Different World, 21 Jump Street, The Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, and Beverly Hills 90210. Both In Living Color and Twin Peaks started that year. Freddy's Nightmares and Friday the 13th (the show) haunted my screen late at night every weekend after episodes of Saturday Night's Main Event. I bet you guys don't even remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose. And I swear, you guys should've given Cop Rock a chance. LOL, maybe not.

I'm curious about how many of you are going to be burning up Wikipedia after you read this. LOL.

Anyway, that's my nostalgic, big haired, baseball capped, mullet wearing, neon soaked, not so short trip down 1990 memory lane. If that can't get you in a 1990 loving mood, I don't know what will. LOL.

Last edited:
pain pain
Infinity and beyond reps for that last 90's post bruh. Lit up every single memory I have from then. I specifically remember 1 summer day, off from school fresh from ma Dukes bringing me to the mall, getting home with new kicks and "U Can't Touch This" was on my bedroom radio. At 11 years old I was like, life doesn't get better than this does it?"

Same memories!
giphy.gif

I had meant to get back to you guys on these nostalgia comments before I got caught up in the craziness around finding the suit the past 2 days. This particular suit is a BIG deal to me. Still don't have one in hand, yet.

Anyway, ahh, the spring/summer of 1990. One of my favorite times in my whole life. I got a taste of things on both coasts in 1990. I spent most of that summer in Baltimore, where I'm originally from. But I had moved to NorCal in late summer '89, and culturally it was a magical time to be in California. We of course had the famous earthquake. The A's and Niners won chips, and most of the CA sports teams were at least good. Arguably the greatest era of pro basketball was being played. The Great One was setting the ice on fire down south. Pretty much all the music was banging. The memories are so vivid. If you guys want to reminisce about 1990, I'm your guy. LOL.

I'll start with the shoes. Since you know SI, RyGuy, do you remember this?

A classmate of mine brought the Buster Douglas issue of SI to school in about mid February of '90, shortly after Iron Mike was rendered mortal, and the whole class freaked when they saw the above pic. This was the VERY FIRST public pic of the Jordan V. Kids broke their damn necks to get to the malls or sports shops when these started rolling out at the end of the month. This shoe was so far ahead of its time, the release was insanity. I was kind of screwed because I had just spent my Christmas money on a pair of Lava Tech Challenge II's literally 2 weekends before I saw this SI. My parents didn't buy me anything more expensive than Chucks or Airwalks, ever, so I had to start saving again from scratch. 4 months later, after the huge disappointment of MJ's Conference Final Game 7 fall, I was able to get the black V's the day after I flew back to Baltimore, and I spent the greatest summer of my life with the greatest V's of all glued to my feet. Even at the beach. LOL.

When I opened up that black and silver splattered box, I was surprised to find this inside:

This catalog would forever make me link this specific suit with these shoes, but literally everything in the catalog was a piece of heat. I must've spent countless hours that summer just looking through it, wishing I could afford everything in it. LOL. I never was able to get the suit while it was in stores. I had to settle for watching Will Smith wear it from afar on TV every week in the fall.

Anyway, pop culture from 1990 was pretty fun. Music was a big thing to junior high schoolers. The jeeps in Baltimore were blasting 2 Live Crew and Big Daddy Kane much like I imagine they were in NY, but the Hondas and Mustangs in Cali were bumping NWA, Ice-T, Too $hort, Digital Underground, and even still MC Hammer at that time. Hammer actually lived about a half mile up the hill from where I lived, and I ran into him out and about on occasion. Me and a group of my schoolmates used to play pickup basketball a couple times a week at a local elementary school with a few of his bodyguards. One looked like a really short version of Joe Montana, LOL. Anyway, the old '90 summer playlist had some classics that people tend to forget about. Me So Horny, C'mon Babe, U Can't Touch This, Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin', It Takes Two, Bust A Move, Poison, Pump Up The Jam, The Humpty Dance (and Freaks of the Industry), The Power, Funhouse (Kid 'n Play), My Hooptie, sheesh, I could go on. And how could I neglect to mention that Ice Ice Baby was beginning to explode in the summer of '90? Some of these videos were hilarious too. Baltimore had this channel called the Video Jukebox where you could call in and request your favorite music videos to play for like a buck or two. My friends and I stayed up all night watching it and recording stuff on VHS, LOL.

Hmm, what video games were we playing in 1990? Super Mario 3 was about the hottest thing on the planet at that point, and do you guys remember the kinda heavy handed Fred Savage 100 minute advertisement for SMB 3, a.k.a. The Wizard? LOL. Besides that, I was still playing Dragon Warrior, me and a few other RPG geek friends were grinding through Ultima 3 yet again on the NES, I had just discovered Shadowgate, and Final Fantasy hit the NES that July. The Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were also starting to gain momentum as the next generation of gaming, and Altered Beast, Phantasy Star II, The Legendary Axe, Keith Courage, and Blazing Lazers were popular on those platforms.

'90 had some entertaining flicks, too. By the end of that summer I had seen Tremors (several times), Back to the Future II and III, House Party, Total Recall, Gremlins 2, The Wizard, Arachnophobia, Robocop 2, The Exorcist III, and Flatliners (a sequel is actually coming up soon).

Last but not least, who could forget some of the most notable TV of '90? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air tops the list. I had to go SOMEWHERE to get my Nike and Jordan fix. Besides that, there was also The Cosby Show, A Different World, 21 Jump Street, The Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, and Beverly Hills 90210. Both In Living Color and Twin Peaks started that year. Freddy's Nightmares and Friday the 13th (the show) haunted my screen late at night every weekend after episodes of Saturday Night's Main Event. I bet you guys don't even remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose. And I swear, you guys should've given Cop Rock a chance. LOL, maybe not.

I'm curious about how many of you are going to be burning up Wikipedia after you read this. LOL.

Anyway, that's my nostalgic, big haired, baseball capped, mullet wearing, neon soaked, not so short trip down 1990 memory lane. If that can't get you in a 1990 loving mood, I don't know what will. LOL.
Bro, this is beautiful. Your genuine love for the shoe and the time it released is a testament how much you care.

43 years old here. @Pain that was nice to reminisce. I remember those days. Thank you.

LOL. My mom and sisters were obsessed with Dirty Dancing and its soundtrack. Coincidentally, so is my daughter's mom and her sister. I've often wondered if it was a chick thing. With me and my elementary school friends, it was "Long Live Road House." LOL. Swayze was the man. RIP. Gone too soon.

Last edited:
I've never even seen Dirty Dancing. My mom & sister went to see that joint too though. :lol: Roadhouse I've seen tho

[

:nthat:

Last edited:
I remember the kid who sat next to me in 3rd grade got the V's black/metallic. Had to hear for weeks on end about how his mom was going to buy them for him. Bastard! I hated him! LOL!

I had a guy like that in the 3rd grade also. He always had the newest Jordan before anyone else did every year and know problem telling you about. I didn't like him either lol. More jealous than anything, mom was hooking me up with Spalding's and la gears around that time.

Back
Top Bottom