Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Wore mine yesterday for like the 4th time. What’s the best way to clean these? Got some lil gray spots on the toe box. It’s like water or juice something
How ocd are you? If you’re super ocd, try the nubuck eraser\brush. If you’re not ocd, water and a damp cloth, preferably one without lint. So definitely not paper towels.

Wore mine yesterday for like the 4th time. What’s the best way to clean these? Got some lil gray spots on the toe box. It’s like water or juice something

It could be pee.

giphy-1.gif

How ocd are you? If you’re super ocd, try the nubuck eraser\brush. If you’re not ocd, water and a damp cloth, preferably one without lint. So definitely not paper towels.

Don't use a nubuck/suede eraser on this material. Use soap and water or sneaker cleaner when dealing with durabuck.

For those of you getting yellowing mesh already, are you wearing these that heavily? The mesh on my worn Grapes from 2013 hasn't even started yellowing yet, and I've probably worn them between 200-300 times. The blue tint on the sole has mostly worn off and they're kind of creased, but they still look pretty clean. My worn 2016 black/metallics, which I've worn probably between 50-100 times, are still pretty much pristine except for two spots on the sole of the left shoe where I stepped on a dried flower bulb, which I wrote about last year in this thread.

As for cleaning the black Durabuck, I use regular Champs nubuck cleaner and a black towel. Those little spots that show up can be any kind of liquid, but if you've ever worn them to a public restroom in all likelihood they're probably pee, LOL. Gross, I know, but oh well, for us guys splashing is pretty much unavoidable. The nubuck cleaner takes the spots off, and I've never had a scuff bad enough where I needed to use an eraser.

I still stand by my assertion that the best possible thing to prevent yellowing on these is to store them in complete darkness every instant they're not on your feet. Don't even just leave them on the floor of your bedroom, run and dump them straight in a closet. It's worked for me.

Most importantly, don't forget to wash that towel when you're done cleaning them. LOL.

My pair is still DS but the mesh is starting to yellow ever so slightly. Depending on how they're angled I can see it but directly from a side view its unnoticeable. I keep them in a ziploc freezer bag inside the box on a shelf in my closet which stays closed nearly 24/7 as well.

I wouldn't recommend ever keeping them in any kind of bag. I don't even keep any of my DS V's in the plastic tissue that they've been coming in the past few years; I fold it up and put it in the corner of the box. Ever watch Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when bodies are unwrapped that have been airtight for a long time, and they turn to dust in 30 seconds? That kind of disintegration won't happen before your eyes in reality, but the concept is still the same. The lack of oxygen in an airtight bag, or like when people shrink wrap their shoes, will cause the shoes (especially if they have polyurethane elements) to break down a lot faster than if they are just stored in the box. The restriction on UV light is the real key detail in storing and maintaining these, but there are other factors too, like local climate.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend ever keeping them in any kind of bag. I don't even keep any of my DS V's in the plastic tissue that they've been coming in the past few years; I fold it up and put it in the corner of the box. Ever watch Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when bodies are unwrapped that have been airtight for a long time, and they turn to dust in 30 seconds? That kind of disintegration won't happen before your eyes in reality, but the concept is still the same. The lack of oxygen in an airtight bag, or like when people shrink wrap their shoes, will cause the shoes (especially if they have polyurethane elements) to break down a lot faster than if they are just stored in the box. The restriction on UV light is the real key detail in storing and maintaining these, but there are other factors too, like local climate.

I see. I don't keep the bag completely sealed shut though because I'm aware that polyurethane foam degrades over time as the lack of oxygen gets to it. I just set the pair far down into the bag and then fold up the excess baggage so that it fits inside the shoe box. After that they're kept in my decently dark closet. Every now and then I take them out to breathe for a few days just to be on the safe side.

20160908_181042.jpg

As for the weather conditions it's just cold, dry and snowy up here in the Midwest. Not really humid at all I think.

So wipe them down with sunscreen. Got it.

This thread made me realize I need to cop a pair of these. Hopefully I can cop one of these all star releases for trade bait.

I originally copped these on RD, then had a mold issue and sent them back to NIKE...in which they refunded me. But I have been missing the shoe like crazy so I recently copped via StockX and they arrived yesterday. I was checking them out and noticed a silver paint streak, about an inch long on the top part of the midsole. While its not a huge deal, it does bother me a little bit. I do have some black Angelus paint I could use to cover it up, is it worth sending an email to StockX? I don't mind excess glue in some areas, but the paint kind of stands out. #NTinspectorgadget

Here are some pictures showing what I'm talking about. Thinking i'll just hit it lightly with some of my Angelus paint and move on. :smile:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Worth an e-mail; may get a discount code out of it.

It’s not too bad a blemish, IMO.

Thanks, I did email them and they were quick to reply. Offered a $20 off code for future purchase, or a free shipping return label. I love the shoe so I'll maybe take them up on the $20 code.

Angelus Flat Black and a small Brush. 5 Minutes easy to do and you will be fine :wink:
Thanks, thats what I'm thinking. I'll have to check and see if I have Flat Black. I can't remember if the black I have by them is Flat or Gloss.

So I was reading a few pages back. I never paid attention to my V's but the yellow netting talk got me nervous. I wear my V's very much like 4 times a week and they are still looking fresh. I have never cleaned them and they have dust all over them. Long story short I looked closely at them and the bet is slowly yellowing. Also I bought two pair of these on RD once out the store I put them on and never looked back. Now I got to dig through all my boxes and find the other pair to see of they are yellowing too. Daaayyyyuuum!

Back
Top Bottom