Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

I'll be honest though. I hated Jordan as a player. Never liked him but did acknowledge that he was a great player. How could everyone like him that wasn't a Bulls fan or weren't from Chicago ? He basically ished on everyone's team.

This is what always bugged me about Spike Lee

For me as a Knicks fan, I find him insufferable anyway. He's like a mascot that no-one asked for.
But then add on to that how he always slurped the player who killed the Knicks more than anyone :smh:

Respect his play? yeah
Dig his shoes? Hell ya
Be his personal hypeman/puppet? Nah

For me as a Knicks fan, I find him insufferable anyway. He's like a mascot that no-one asked for.
But then add on to that how he always slurped the player who killed the Knicks more than anyone
mean.gif

Respect his play? yeah
Dig his shoes? Hell ya
Jordan was born in New York and he likes his sneakers that's why Spike Lee associates with him.

Last edited:
Just shut up already. Nobody remembers full games at the ages of 1, 2, and 3. You might have a memory of black men in red jerseys stored in your subconscious, but you do NOT remember specific things about MJ on the bulls. I was born in 92 and don't remember. I faintly remember the Wizard years and I grew up playing ball and have a great memory.

I remember peeing on a bush under the age of 6.

Jordan was born in New York and he likes his sneakers that's why Spike Lee associates with him.

I wasn't asking why, i was saying Spike played himself

And Jordan never reps NY, so no reason for Spike to rep MJ. Everybody likes the sneakers

Spike saw that Jordan stock rising, and def jumped on it. When it comes to money, Spike was prolly saying, "Knicks who?" :lol:

Last edited:
For me:

1. 5
2. 4
3. 11
4. 12
5. 14
6. 6

I can't wait for NA 3m tongue and grapes!! Maybe next year!

Last edited:

But then add on to that how he always slurped the player who killed the Knicks more than anyone :smh:

Respect his play? yeah
Dig his shoes? Hell ya

Agreed. But in fairness he started promo and the whole Mars character before the Knicks Bulls wars were official I think...if I'm correct.?

I'll be honest though. I hated Jordan as a player. Never liked him but did acknowledge that he was a great player. How could everyone like him that wasn't a Bulls fan or weren't from Chicago? He basically ished on everyone's team. It wasn't until seeing them on the feet of my friends and they becoming immersed in pop culture that I thought to myself they had a stylish casual appeal to them. When I got into J's it was always about the shoes, couldn't have cared less about him as a player. Was probably more intrigued with his iconic status as a cultural symbol of the times more than anything back then. I mean even when I hooped I played in other shoes. Hooping in J's was the furthest thing from my mind.

Respect. Wasn't aiming at your prior comment either, and know one needs a reason for liking shoes was my point other than

just liking em, but it's just being extra for folks to say they have memories or recall the impact of an era w/o the wherewithal to

realize it...:rolleyes :smh:

Last edited:
Respect. Wasn't aiming at your prior comment either, and know one needs a reason for liking shoes was my point other than

just liking em, but it's just being extra for folks to say they have memories or recall the impact of an era w/o the wherewithal to

realize it...:rolleyes :smh:

It's all good my man. I was really co-signing your statement more than anything. All too often I think people feel that knowing the history or being able to have first-hand witnessed Jordan's legacy take form somehow validates their interest in the shoes. If you were/are a fan and was able to witness is legacy then cool. If you weren't a fan or wasn't able to see his legacy that's still cool. At the end of the day people like nice looking sneakers and I think it's fair to say his sneakers are accepted as nice looking so I can't blame anyone for liking them, regardless of the rhyme or reason.

#GiveUsNewPicsJB [emoji]128545[/emoji][emoji]128545[/emoji][emoji]128545[/emoji][emoji]128545[/emoji]

Spike saw that Jordan stock rising, and def jumped on it. When it comes to money, Spike was prolly saying, "Knicks who?" :lol:

haha no doubt :lol:

Agreed. But in fairness he started promo and the whole Mars character before the Knicks Bulls wars were official I think...if I'm correct.?

you know, that is a good point.
Spike still irritates me, but in 89 Jordan was just a good young player, and the Knicks/Bulls wasn't a rivalry yet

I wasn't asking why, i was saying Spike played himself

And Jordan never reps NY, so no reason for Spike to rep MJ. Everybody likes the sneakers

You'rr right, Jordan doesn't jack NY at all.
Ironically, JB released a straight outta Brooklyn shirt with Jordan on the front, I saw it in a storefront in the city one day.
Idr what store though.

my opinion is that the nike air jordan line peaked with the aj5

the 6 was a step down imo
and the 7 was like :stoneface: to me

:\

View media item 1926735
The VI is easily in my top 5 and for me personally it's my favorite model. So different than the V's. The holes in the tongue were NEVER done before!

Never forget seeing a "preview" of them when I got that Air Jordan Flight Club calendar off the Wheaties box back in the day.

View media item 1926794

That calendar had lots of IV's & V's that MJ was wearing from Nike promo photos. December was a pic of MJ:

View media item 1926795
It was the 1st "picture" of the VI to be released. There was no internet, no social media, no KICKS magazine, nothing. Just this picture. Blew my mind when I saw them. Was thinking to myself "what are those holes for in the tongue"? "Is that puffy piece on the outside a pump"? (it was during Reebok's time with that tech). Too cool. Love the V's but love the VI's more :smile:

Last edited:
It's all good my man. I was really co-signing your statement more than anything. All too often I think people feel that knowing the history or being able to have first-hand witnessed Jordan's legacy take form somehow validates their interest in the shoes. If you were/are a fan and was able to witness is legacy then cool. If you weren't a fan or wasn't able to see his legacy that's still cool. At the end of the day people like nice looking sneakers and I think it's fair to say his sneakers are accepted as nice looking so I can't blame anyone for liking them, regardless of the rhyme or reason.

Exactly my G! [emoji]128175[/emoji]

haha no doubt :lol:
you know, that is a good point.
Spike still irritates me, but in 89 Jordan was just a good young player, and the Knicks/Bulls wasn't a rivalry yet

Lol yeah I know what you mean, I have no ties to New York myself but, I'd be pissed if our number 1 fan was the same guy

responsible for us getting torched on numerous occasions. (Important ones at that)

Last edited:
The VI was a step down from the V!? The V sucked, never had or wanted a pair. I'm biased though since the VI is one of my faves in the line, LOL.

my opinion is that the nike air jordan line peaked with the aj5

the 6 was a step down imo
and the 7 was like :stoneface: to me

:\

That calendar had lots of IV's & V's that MJ was wearing from Nike promo photos. December was a pic of MJ:

View media item 1926795
It was the 1st "picture" of the VI to be released. There was no internet, no social media, no KICKS magazine, nothing. Just this picture. Blew my mind when I saw them. Was thinking to myself "what are those holes for in the tongue"? "Is that puffy piece on the outside a pump"? (it was during Reebok's time with that tech). Too cool. Love the V's but love the VI's more :smile:

Those are early prototype VI's with the toe rand.

Here's a larger pic I scanned from my old Flight Calendar.

JB_91.jpg

And since this is the V thread.... Here's some 89 V samples with different midsole blocking from the same calendar.

JB_94_v.jpg

There's also a pic MJ wearing what appears to be an unreleased colorway of the VI. Looks like they may have either been dark grape themed or white/black/teal.

Hey '88 nice pics. Wasn't that calendar the best?!!! I know where mine is. I gotta get it from my parents place & hang it up. :smile:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom