Nike Air on the back of Jordans

I have never had a problem with the jumpman being placed on the back of Jordans, but I know majority of NT prefers the nike air on the back. I never really understood the big deal with the change other than the og was nike air, can someone explain why they care that much about it?

Simple answer..."Nike Air" and the NIKE AIR JORDAN 1-6 go hand and hand. They were created and memories were created with "Nike Air" on the back of those shoes. It makes those Jordan's what they are. The Jumpman air logo 1,3,6s especially looks off. Have you ever seen a Nike Air pair? Stand a Jumpman pair next to it and see if you understand then.

04b365a8188191e5624d3670fff8c365d5d95123_r.jpg

5c7265715069050f82f61452f97db82da38c6de1_r.jpg

3f3168189e6b31fecad51b7c7fb4ac4986057cc6_r.jpg

Yeah it does look better imo but the Nike air days ate far behind us and on some sneakers the jumpan logo just make it look like something missing

actually it does not look better to me, but it is just nostalgia and the reason why i want a nike logo
instead of a jumpman on the retros is because the OGs which MJ wore also had the Nike logo.
IMO, i'm absolutely OK when Jordan brand puts a Jumpman on it if it is a retro+ clolorway and
not one that was already released back in the days.
Now JB surely could find other excuses to replace the Nike logo as most recent Jordan retros
always have a slight color alteration like colorblocking or using a different red (mostly varsity red now).

I could care less. I had a lot of originals with Nike air on them. Something small like that does not matter to me I like either logo.

This topic has been beaten to death on NT. If you had/have a pair of OGs or have fleeting memories of what these shoes stood for, you'd care about having 'Nike Air' on the back. However as long as the retro product keeps selling out you won't ever see the 'Nike Air' returning.

you have to understand, its all we knew. From 1988 when it first showed up on the back of the 3s all the way to 2001 when it last showed up on blk/cement 3s, for 13 years, thats all it was, a big NIKE AIR on the back of AJs 3-6.

plus, it just looks better

air-jordan-nike-air-custom-05-570x425.jpg
d0030233_4c24be3709591.jpg

oh yeah, this didnt hurt either...

8889tomahawkblackajs.jpg

I can understand the nostalgia behind it, but most of the people I hear complaining about it weren't even around or were too young to even care what type of shoes they were wearing. Me personally I was around when nike air was placed on the back of the shoes, but to be honest I even have a hard time seeing someone really that connected to the two words that much.

My thinking was always this: when you create a shoe and it becomes a classic, you never change anything about it. You take the specialness away from that shoe everytime you structurally change something. Imagine an AJ1 without the swoosh on the sides. JB did it and it looked horrible. Here are some examples of how stupid the decision to take Nike Air away was.

Imagine if JB removed the hologram on the XIII's, and instead placed a stitched jumpman there. How stupid would that be
Imagine if JB removed the Jumpman from the back of the X's, and placed Nike Air there instead. How stupid would that be.
Imagine if JB removed the emblem and 23 off the back of the IX's and placed a big jumpman there instead. How stupid would that be.
Imagine if JB removed the 23 off the straps of the VIII's and put a jumpman there or better yet, placed a jumpman on the back of the shoe. How stupid would that be.
Imagine if JB changed the direction of the jumpman on the XI's on the left shoe. Oh wait, they did do that, and it still looks stupid.

Thats how I feel about them taking off one of the most important parts of the III-VI. Nike Air is as special as all the important aspects of the models after the VI and should always be there.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

I can understand the nostalgia behind it, but most of the people I hear complaining about it weren't even around or were too young to even care what type of shoes they were wearing. Me personally I was around when nike air was placed on the back of the shoes, but to be honest I even have a hard time seeing someone really that connected to the two words that much.

You assume too much...alot of Niketalkers are 22+ years old and do remember. We became die hard NIKE men (at least I did) as a kid. Nike Air means just as much as a Jumpman to me...do you know how Stupid that bif Jumpman on the 1's tag looks? Even better the white pair where they took the swoosh off and put just a JUMPMAN.
tired.gif

I'll share this much... and know this to be true and accurate so take it for what its worth.

Mike will NEVER return the Nike Air back to ANY Signature Retro for as long as he's collecting a yearly check from Nike. In his mind he worked too hard to create and MAKE the brand what it is.

If Nike ends its contract with Mike.. Jordan won't go away... but the Nike Air would return then and ONLY when Mike ends his relationship with them.

Originally Posted by NikeDealer

I'll share this much... and know this to be true and accurate so take it for what its worth.

Mike will NEVER return the Nike Air back to ANY Signature Retro for as long as he's collecting a yearly check from Nike. In his mind he worked too hard to create and MAKE the brand what it is.

If Nike ends its contract with Mike.. Jordan won't go away... but the Nike Air would return then and ONLY when Mike ends his relationship with them.

Makes sence...that was the reason the BANNED AJ1s were "scraped" in the 1st place. He hated them.

MJ saw them and said

07036444199c944f67ff3924f098caf26431891e_r.gif

Thats a ******ed way of thinking on MJ's part. We buy the shoes,  does he actually think that leaving the shoe how it was made is actually gonna diminish all the hard work he put in his brand.  He was ready to leave if Im not mistaken after the AJ1 and AJ2, yet the AJ 1 is the most overly produced Jordan shoe out of the line, and to top it off it is the one shoe that is overshadowed by the big Nike Swoosh on both sides of the shoe.  In addition, Nike magically showed up on both OG colored II's that were recently retroed. 

Originally Posted by El Bro

Thats a ******ed way of thinking on MJ's part. We buy the shoes,  does he actually think that leaving the shoe how it was made is actually gonna diminish all the hard work he put in his brand.  He was ready to leave if Im not mistaken after the AJ1 and AJ2, yet the AJ 1 is the most overly produced Jordan shoe out of the line, and to top it off it is the one shoe that is overshadowed by the big Nike Swoosh on both sides of the shoe.  In addition, Nike magically showed up on both OG colored II's that were recently retroed. 

Thank you. Especially on III-Vs. You can have your cake and eat it too! Jumpman on the front, NA in the rear. A JB mullet if you will.

Yeah it does look better but I don't really care bout it much I care bout the shoe itself

I see what your sayin El... but I know the Jumpman alone has become one of the most Iconic logo's to ever come to life.

Lebron's ten logo's Griffeys... Melos... or anyone else that has a logo within Nike could have their logo alone carry the design...

For many shoes design I think we can all agree the Swoosh is what carries the weight when the design is lacking.

I think many of us agree many of the Team Shoes we throw our hands up about would be something serious with the Swoosh on it.. as the Jumpman does nothing for it.

Well... for Jordan.. in his mind.. HE made that Logo HE is that logo... so he doesnt feel he needs the Swoosh to carry him.

When Eddie Bauer lends their name to Cars or Car Seats they want it prominent on there. Diddy does it, as well as Jay... Mike just happens to be a bit more prominent.

Convoluted... but it has some merit..

Thanks for the info Nike Dealer. It just sucks that MJ's arrogance overshadows small details that we as consumers want. In the end, these small details might even create a new niche.

If JB made two runs of the same shoe, say the white/cement IV, one with Nike Air and one with a jumpman. Which pair would sell out faster if released together. More than likely they both would sell out immediately because of the hype, so which would be more valuable on the secondary market. Now, to be fair, lets say Nike Air was a common thing now, would it still outsell the other and would it be more valuable.

I truly believe Nike Air is an untapped market for JB in todays high demand for shoes. At some point MJ has to consider the possibility of it after each OG colorway has been retroed to death. Its almost stupid not to. There has never been a retro+ colorway with Nike Air, so the possibilities are great. Imagine some of the retro+ colorways with Nike Air and imagine how awesome some of them wouldve looked.

I do remember reading in a Sole Collector issue not too long ago, that Nike Air was one of the things they hold in their proverbial "back pocket" if retros ever started to die down....

Originally Posted by qdiesel

I do remember reading in a Sole Collector issue not too long ago, that Nike Air was one of the things they hold in their proverbial "back pocket" if retros ever started to die down....

I remember reading this

Back
Top Bottom