Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

Got my Turbos in the mail today and took them out for a quick run. Can't say that I'm a fan yet. So far, I much prefer the SP, 4%, and even the Epic React. Curious to hear others' first experiences with these.

getz_racer getz_racer F Four by Six - So I had my shoes in the car where it was warm, so the shoes got warm, too. The top half and bottom half of the ZoomX foam felt the same to me when I pressed into it, but when I pressed the outsole where the React is, it was VERY soft, so I'd say it's right how Nike described it: mainly ZoomX midsole with thin React layer on the outsole.

Thanks for the test! I looked up the specs of ZoomX from the manufacturer of the foam and verified its properties do not change much with temperature, unlike REACT which changes dramatically. So, cold or hot is where the difference will be felt.

Just finished a 4 mile run in them. I've been running in 34s since June of last year. Didn't buy any 35s until this Turbo. It's a substantial difference to me. It absorbs shocks a lot better than the 34s IMO.

And one thing I will note is fit. I kept hearing people say the regular 35s were 'roomier.' I don't know about the regular 35s, but I found these very much TTS, and if anything, VERY SLIGHTLY tighter than the regular 34s (but they are brand new).

upload_2018-7-20_23-13-24.gif

I really can't stand reviews that spend all their time describing the looks and construction of the sneakers. We already know all that! I want to know how they feel and perform and how they make the reviewer feel.

the dude does no activity outside of browsing employee stores :lol:

if he didn't review every minute details or the shoe, he'd have no content :lol:

These are very roomie in the toe box, but everybody's foot is different.

In the 34 I'm a 10.5 and I skipped the 35 to run in epic reacts instead, which im also a 10.5

I got a 10.5 in these and I have a lot of space up front. Most likely returning them unless somebody wants my 10.5 for what I paid (retail plus tax from nike $191.43) plus shipping to you.
turbo.jpg

the dude does no activity outside of browsing employee stores :lol:

if he didn't review every minute details or the shoe, he'd have no content :lol:
Hes is not a runner. While he occasionally has some interesting tidbits about how construction that I don't see elsewhere, I basically quit watching him because his reviews aren't relevant to runners.

If anybody is interested/needs a 10.5, let me know. It’s still sealed in the shipping box. I got a 10 as well and tried those on first and that’s my preferred size.

These Turbos are amazing. They are a perfect hybrid of the 4% and Epic Reacts for me they are low enough to the ground to feel the road but it combines amazing cushioning. Excited to see what other colorways they release. These really pop. Highly recommend them. The only thing I'll be keeping a close eye on is how the midsole creases the 4% got chewed up hopefully with the layer of React it is minimized

Last edited:
Glad I went a half size up. The toe box is roomier than other pairs but lockdown is solid and the toe applies a weird pressure on the top of my big toe. I know all feet at different but my wife said the same thing about her pair.

I wrote this for a separate group but figured it might be of some use here...

Pegasus35 Turbo Review:

Some background, I have ran in the Epic Reacts, ZF, ZF SP, VF4% and before this family of shoes, my primary race shoes were the Flyknit Lunar 1 for a Half Marathon or shorter. Anything over that and I would move to the Lunarglides (v1, v3, & v7).

Sizing: I wear a 10 in pretty much everything and it is my TTS. My Epic Reacts I went up .5 as I wanted them for more of a casual fit and knew I wouldn’t be doing much running in them. I could have gone TTS if I was going to use primarily as a running shoe. ZF and VF4% are both TTS with the ZF SP forcing me to go up .5 since the upper does not have the stretch of the regular version. I went with my TTS 10 on the Peg Turbo and it feels perfect with a good thumb space in front of my big toe.

Feel: These are very comfortable from the moment you slip them on. I can see these being very popular with the casual wear/walking crowd. Long days at Disney… grab these without a second thought! I thought my Epic Reacts were comfortable but these are on a different level. They might be a little harder to pull off from a casual perspective just from the “racing stripe” that runs down the middle of the shoe, but I personally like the touch. Speaking of that, “racing stripe”, that section of the upper does not stretch or flex like the rest of the upper, and I can also feel it pushing down on the top of my foot. It was noticeable when I was first walking around in them but that sensation quickly went away once I started running.

Performance: Ah, the important part…these are a running shoe after all. I think everyone knows my love for the VF4%, as I am probably the biggest evangelist of that shoe you will ever meet. No, these don’t touch the VF4% from a performance perspective BUT they serve an important purpose. They utilize the same ZoomX cushioning found on the VF and there is a layer of React foam as well but there is no spring plate. They feel much more stable than the VF or even the ZF for that matter. They feel more cushioned than both the ZF and VF but they are missing that “bounce” that I really love with the VF. There is no forward propulsion feel with the Peg Turbo but what they lack in responsiveness, they more than make up for in the stability and cushion department. I ran 8.5 in them today, paces ranging from 5:05min/mi up to 9:15min/mi while varying my cadence from as low as 164, up to 204. They never felt out place at any point but they definitely took more effort to get up to speed than the VF and I was never quite able to get up on my toes and really “GO” like I can in the VF. They are also about 1.8 oz heavier than the VF which was noticeable to me but probably won’t be a big deal to the casual runner.

Overall: When I first got them yesterday I thought I would test them out for a few weeks and send them back to Nike…after today, I think these have found a home in my rotation. Using these on longer/easier runs will allow me to keep mileage off my beloved VF and still enjoy the ride the ZoomX provides. Helping keep you fresher and allowing you to recover faster for your next training effort. These also are much more durable than the ZF & VF as there is no noticeable wear on the sole after today. They looks brand new. Now, I’ll still keep my ZF & ZF SP for shorter days but these are going to be a popular shoe dominating the market in the near future. Official release is Aug 2nd and retail is $180. Try them and thank me later…I didn’t lie about the VF! :wink:

TLDR: Great shoe for any runner. Soft, cushioned, stable, not so responsive. Better than Epic React. Still recommend racing in VF4%.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KELAQi] [/URL]

Last edited:

Pegasus35 Turbo Review:

Some background, I have ran in the Epic Reacts, ZF, ZF SP, VF4% and before this family of shoes, my primary race shoes were the Flyknit Lunar 1 for a Half Marathon or shorter. Anything over that and I would move to the Lunarglides (v1, v3, & v7).

Sizing: I wear a 10 in pretty much everything and it is my TTS. My Epic Reacts I went up .5 as I wanted them for more of a casual fit and knew I wouldn’t be doing much running in them. I could have gone TTS if I was going to use primarily as a running shoe. ZF and VF4% are both TTS with the ZF SP forcing me to go up .5 since the upper does not have the stretch of the regular version. I went with my TTS 10 on the Peg Turbo and it feels perfect with a good thumb space in front of my big toe.

Feel: These are very comfortable from the moment you slip them on. I can see these being very popular with the casual wear/walking crowd. Long days at Disney… grab these without a second thought! I thought my Epic Reacts were comfortable but these are on a different level. They might be a little harder to pull off from a casual perspective just from the “racing stripe” that runs down the middle of the shoe, but I personally like the touch. Speaking of that, “racing stripe”, that section of the upper does not stretch or flex like the rest of the upper, and I can also feel it pushing down on the top of my foot. It was noticeable when I was first walking around in them but that sensation quickly went away once I started running.

Performance: Ah, the important part…these are a running shoe after all. I think everyone knows my love for the VF4%, as I am probably the biggest evangelist of that shoe you will ever meet. No, these don’t touch the VF4% from a performance perspective BUT they serve an important purpose. They utilize the same ZoomX cushioning found on the VF and there is a layer of React foam as well but there is no spring plate. They feel much more stable than the VF or even the ZF for that matter. They feel more cushioned than both the ZF and VF but they are missing that “bounce” that I really love with the VF. There is no forward propulsion feel with the Peg Turbo but what they lack in responsiveness, they more than make up for in the stability and cushion department. I ran 8.5 in them today, paces ranging from 5:05min/mi up to 9:15min/mi while varying my cadence from as low as 164, up to 204. They never felt out place at any point but they definitely took more effort to get up to speed than the VF and I was never quite able to get up on my toes and really “GO” like I can in the VF. They are also about 1.:nerd:z heavier than the VF which was noticeable to me but probably won’t be a big deal to the casual runner.

Overall: When I first got them yesterday I thought I would test them out for a few weeks and send them back to Nike…after today, I think these have found a home in my rotation. Using these on longer/easier runs will allow me to keep mileage off my beloved VF and still enjoy the ride the ZoomX provides. Helping keep you fresher and allowing you to recover faster for your next training effort. These also are much more durable than the ZF & VF as there is no noticeable wear on the sole after today. They looks brand new. Now, I’ll still keep my ZF & ZF SP for shorter days but these are going to be a popular shoe dominating the market in the near future. Official release is Aug 2nd and retail is $180. Try them and thank me later…I didn’t lie about the VF! :wink:

TLDR: Great shoe for any runner. Soft, cushioned, stable, not so responsive. Better than Epic React. Still recommend racing in VF4%.

Awesome review. They are re-releasing this racing stripe color on August 2nd?

Pegasus35 Turbo Review:
How would you compare to the ZF SP?

I took the turbos out for a 7 mile spin this morning. Went with TTS and the fit was good (I go 1/2 size up in the ZF/4%). Shoe is comfy for sure but a pinch too heavy for my liking. Think i’ll be sticking to the ZF/Streak 6 for track/tempo stuff and use these for recovery runs and non marathon pace long runs.

I finished up my medium-long easy run, 16.77 miles in 2 hours (7:13mpm). The Turbos are good, much much better than the regular pegasus 35, there's no doubt about that. They are very bouncy and give you good energy return as billed. I do this run every Saturday along with 90min easy runs at a similar effort on Tuesdays and Thursdays and since the Epic Reacts came out, that's what I've been wearing for them. I ran in the Turbos today so I was basically comparing them to my epic reacts. The cushioning on the Turbo is pretty much on par or slightly better than the Epic Reacts, but... the Turbos have the blown rubber outsole and that seems to firm up the landing - almost a little harsher when I foot strike, pretty similar to what you're used to if you've been running in Pegasus. Due to that, the Epic Reacts seem a bit softer to me overall. I'm definitely going to be using the Turbos because they still feel great, but after this initial run I think my plan is to basically alternate the Epic Reacts with the Turbos for these runs.

I did do a few strides at the end of this run and I can say that due to the traditional upper and more standard rubber outsole, they felt much better than the Epic Reacts at speed. I don't really plan on doing much speed work in these aside from strides because these don't even come close to the VF4%.

P.S. I'm still not convinced that the lower half of the midsole is ZoomX.

upload_2018-7-21_11-6-8.png

How would you compare to the ZF SP?

I really like my SPs. From my Strava it appears I have just over 200 miles split between 2 pairs of SPs. The Peg Turbo isnt as responsive as the SP but is a more stable and less harsh ride. The SP is closer in overall feel to the VF but I can feel the miles in my legs more from the SP vs how I felt today in the Peg. The ZoomX feels amazing but they just didn't feel "alive" under me like the sensation you get with the VF, for obvious reasons.

I finished up my medium-long easy run, 16.77 miles in 2 hours (7:13mpm). The Turbos are good, much much better than the regular pegasus 35, there's no doubt about that. They are very bouncy and give you good energy return as billed. I do this run every Saturday along with 90min easy runs at a similar effort on Tuesdays and Thursdays and since the Epic Reacts came out, that's what I've been wearing for them. I ran in the Turbos today so I was basically comparing them to my epic reacts. The cushioning on the Turbo is pretty much on par or slightly better than the Epic Reacts, but... the Turbos have the blown rubber outsole and that seems to firm up the landing - almost a little harsher when I foot strike, pretty similar to what you're used to if you've been running in Pegasus. Due to that, the Epic Reacts seem a bit softer to me overall. I'm definitely going to be using the Turbos because they still feel great, but after this initial run I think my plan is to basically alternate the Epic Reacts with the Turbos for these runs.

I did do a few strides at the end of this run and I can say that due to the traditional upper and more standard rubber outsole, they felt much better than the Epic Reacts at speed. I don't really plan on doing much speed work in these aside from strides because these don't even come close to the VF4%.

P.S. I'm still not convinced that the lower half of the midsole is ZoomX.

Great pics capturing the compression of the midsole. Agree with you on many points.

Had to drop my car off for service so it was the perfect time to take the Turbos out for a 3+ mile run. TTS is definitely the way to go. I'm TTS in both 4% & Turbos. Turbos have enough room in the toe box/upper but not to the point where my pinky toe keeps shifting in sharp turns like with the 4%. I dare don't go 1/2 size down in both. Not as much bounce with the lack of carbon fiber plate but enough spring with a very comfy landing. I love the spongy feels on the Turbo. Padded tongue is a bonus compared to the flimsy thin tongue. I'm not so worried about durability either, I just ended up with some minor forefoot wear.

Overall, it's definitely all on you the to carry your legs on and maybe..a small percentage of the shoe with some of that placebo effect. Haven't been running as much as I used to (I blame it on relationship weight). But these would be great to get you back on track and even for race day. I wouldn't go as far as to say these are like Peter Pan shoes but I'll say Rufio. Can't wait for more colorways.

Quick on-foot photo. Feeling a bit salty about having struck out on the Parras today, so will probably return these (and stick with SPs and Epic Reacts for running) if I decide to pay resale for the AM1s.
DSCF2690.JPG

Back
Top Bottom