Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

I wrote this for a separate group but figured it might be of some use here...

Pegasus35 Turbo Review:

Some background, I have ran in the Epic Reacts, ZF, ZF SP, VF4% and before this family of shoes, my primary race shoes were the Flyknit Lunar 1 for a Half Marathon or shorter. Anything over that and I would move to the Lunarglides (v1, v3, & v7).

Sizing: I wear a 10 in pretty much everything and it is my TTS. My Epic Reacts I went up .5 as I wanted them for more of a casual fit and knew I wouldn’t be doing much running in them. I could have gone TTS if I was going to use primarily as a running shoe. ZF and VF4% are both TTS with the ZF SP forcing me to go up .5 since the upper does not have the stretch of the regular version. I went with my TTS 10 on the Peg Turbo and it feels perfect with a good thumb space in front of my big toe.

Feel: These are very comfortable from the moment you slip them on. I can see these being very popular with the casual wear/walking crowd. Long days at Disney… grab these without a second thought! I thought my Epic Reacts were comfortable but these are on a different level. They might be a little harder to pull off from a casual perspective just from the “racing stripe” that runs down the middle of the shoe, but I personally like the touch. Speaking of that, “racing stripe”, that section of the upper does not stretch or flex like the rest of the upper, and I can also feel it pushing down on the top of my foot. It was noticeable when I was first walking around in them but that sensation quickly went away once I started running.

Performance: Ah, the important part…these are a running shoe after all. I think everyone knows my love for the VF4%, as I am probably the biggest evangelist of that shoe you will ever meet. No, these don’t touch the VF4% from a performance perspective BUT they serve an important purpose. They utilize the same ZoomX cushioning found on the VF and there is a layer of React foam as well but there is no spring plate. They feel much more stable than the VF or even the ZF for that matter. They feel more cushioned than both the ZF and VF but they are missing that “bounce” that I really love with the VF. There is no forward propulsion feel with the Peg Turbo but what they lack in responsiveness, they more than make up for in the stability and cushion department. I ran 8.5 in them today, paces ranging from 5:05min/mi up to 9:15min/mi while varying my cadence from as low as 164, up to 204. They never felt out place at any point but they definitely took more effort to get up to speed than the VF and I was never quite able to get up on my toes and really “GO” like I can in the VF. They are also about 1.8 oz heavier than the VF which was noticeable to me but probably won’t be a big deal to the casual runner.

Overall: When I first got them yesterday I thought I would test them out for a few weeks and send them back to Nike…after today, I think these have found a home in my rotation. Using these on longer/easier runs will allow me to keep mileage off my beloved VF and still enjoy the ride the ZoomX provides. Helping keep you fresher and allowing you to recover faster for your next training effort. These also are much more durable than the ZF & VF as there is no noticeable wear on the sole after today. They looks brand new. Now, I’ll still keep my ZF & ZF SP for shorter days but these are going to be a popular shoe dominating the market in the near future. Official release is Aug 2nd and retail is $180. Try them and thank me later…I didn’t lie about the VF! :wink:

TLDR: Great shoe for any runner. Soft, cushioned, stable, not so responsive. Better than Epic React. Still recommend racing in VF4%.

GREAT REVIEW. The Turbos definitely look FAST, but I didn’t expect them to “slower” in performance vs. the Zoom Fly. It seems like plate in the ZF and VF makes that much of a difference! The Peg Turbo, like you said, seems more of a Stability shoe rather than a racing shoe? Since the regular Peg35 has a “curved” full length Zoom bag, I wonder if those feel faster than the “Turbos”.

When these shoes were first revealed to the public I expected them to be all things to all men - Lightweight but comfortable and durable, plush underfoot but fast and responsive. In short I was hoping for a slightly toned down VF4 experience for everyday running but with greater sole durability. Having just been for a four mile run at a variety of paces from slow to 'stava segment attack' I can't help but feel disappointed. Before I get to the running experience let me first talk about a few other things... Firstly many people are interested in the fit of the shoe. My advice is to go true to size. There is some room in front of the toes but nothing excessive.TTS is the way to go! The sole unit appears and feels to me to be react below the seam and zoomx above. If this is the case then I feel that this a rather naughty by Nike as there is probably as much react as there is zoomx. This certainly explains how the shoe feels underfoot though (later...). The weight of the shoe is light compared to a normal pegasus but not compared to other nike shoes. My US 10.5 is coming in at 250 grams whereas my vf4 in the same size is 210 grams. An elite 9 (size US11) is the same 250 grams on my scales as a pegasus turbo but it really shouldn't be given the supposed relative densities of the foams used. What I am trying to say here is that the shoe could be significantly lighter..... There is nothing much wrong comfort wise with the VF4 upper and more zoomx would reduce the weight too.

On foot the shoe uppers are comfortable but not outstandingly so. Walking around the soles have some bounce but nothing like the crazy springiness of the VF4s. The VF4s have much more zoomx underfoot and this difference can really be felt...More so when running. In the peg turbos the propulsive sensation of the VF4s is totally absent. The soles absorb shock very well and are comfortable but major more on softness and pop is rather absent. These are not snappy shoes for fast runs. They really are best suited to slower longer runs. When running at a faster pace I felt that I was using significantly more effort than the pace normally required. 6.30 mile pace felt like 6.00 effort. These shoes would be better called 'pegasus deluxe' or 'pegasus comfort'. The turbo name and racing stripe seem to me to be a rather cynical marketing ploy. I suspect that Nike could have made this shoe rather better.... but hey that's more money to be made in the future I guess. As things stand I will give the shoe more of a trial over the next 2 week before deciding if I should return it. At the moment though I think that something like a Odyssey react would do the same job for significantly less cash.

Ran another 6 miles in the Turbos--this time in heavy rain. They have excellent traction. I had zero slippage on soaked pavement or metal grates. I think the design of the knobs are part of the reason for the excellent grip--they remind me trail running soles. Someone earlier asked how they would work on trails, I would save they would do very well on dirt trails.

Maybe it's just because I'm a slow, beginner ish runner (10 min miles), but I don't get any of the complaints about the Turbos. This shoe is great, and the only thing better is the 4%s. I have the Zoom Flys, Epic Reacts, and normal Peg 35s also and none come close.

29684873808_52e1cd48a4_b.jpg

So this is a very different experience from what many others have done for their first run. I did intervals for the first run at 200m, 400m, 800m, 1200m and 1600m and then a bonus 200m and 100m (throw in a 1000m jog for a warm-up.) So far... it's impressive for the speed workout! More responsive as you go faster for the quicker speeds, but when you slow it down, it's more cushioned while helping you stay consistent with the tempo without slowing you down or sinking in. Best way to describe it in one word is "dynamic," and definitely a combo of the Epic React and Vaporfly. I agree with others here that the Vaporfly 4% is still at the top, but I like how these held up for the speed workout so far. It has a great amount of support when running fast, but I feel like it didn't have the same bounce that the Vaporfly has. Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't given it a 5K run yet that I normally do, so I'll update my impressions about this shoe as I go along. By the way, the clouds/fog damn near matched the color of the shoes.

42651115225_e133f49f19_b.jpg

@3god - to answer your question about casual use, I can say that it's PRETTY good. I just don't think the ZoomX will shine unless you "activate" it during a run, really, if that makes sense. If anything, I want to say that the regular Pegasus 35s is the better shoe for casual use. Not sure what everyone else thinks about that here, but if we're looking to make that inevitable (yet overly obnoxious) comparison to the Ultra Boost CASUALLY, I don't think there's a good way to compare. I'll keep wearing these casually to see what's up though, I guess, but the audience for these are leaning heavily elsewhere.

Last edited:

So this is a very different experience from what many others have done for their first run. I did intervals for the first run at 200m, 400m, 800m, 1200m and 1600m and then a bonus 200m and 100m (throw in a 1000m jog for a warm-up.) So far... it's impressive for the speed workout! More responsive as you go faster for the quicker speeds, but when you slow it down, it's more cushioned while helping you stay consistent with the tempo without slowing you down or sinking in. Best way to describe it in one word is "dynamic," and definitely a combo of the Epic React and Vaporfly. I agree with others here that the Vaporfly 4% is still at the top, but I like how these held up for the speed workout so far. It has a great amount of support when running fast, but I feel like it didn't have the same bounce that the Vaporfly has. Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't given it a 5K run yet that I normally do, so I'll update my impressions about this shoe as I go along. By the way, the clouds/fog damn near matched the color of the shoes.

@3god - to answer your question about casual use, I can say that it's PRETTY good. I just don't think the ZoomX will shine unless you "activate" it during a run, really, if that makes sense. If anything, I want to say that the regular Pegasus 35s is the better shoe for casual use. Not sure what everyone else thinks about that here, but if we're looking to make that inevitable (yet overly obnoxious) comparison to the Ultra Boost CASUALLY, I don't think there's a good way to compare. I'll keep wearing these casually to see what's up though, I guess, but the audience for these are leaning heavily elsewhere.

2 questions: how were they on the track? I know the rubber can make shoes feel a bit mushy. And what were your 200m times like?

2 questions: how were they on the track? I know the rubber can make shoes feel a bit mushy. And what were your 200m times like?

In the beginning, it was slightly slippery on the markings on the track, but that's 'cause the track was just rinsed, so it was still drying. I did step on some wet spots and puddles that weren't on the markings and it was nice! Super grippy, and very stable on the turns. The rubber outsole definitely helped!

So my Beta NRC app on my WearOS/Android watch gave me somewhere along 6:50/mi and 6:55/mi respectively. I just looked at this link and it's marking it at about 50 seconds at 200m... wow, now that I've seen that, that's actually slower than when I was wearing my Vaporflys. When I did 200m in my Vaporflys, I had :45 seconds for every 200m I did. A while back before I gained a few pounds and the Vaporflys had less mileage, it was at 40-43 seconds (different paces at each time). I guess I must've saved my energy though. My 1600m (1 miler) was at 7:54. My average running pace is about 8:45-9:15 when running on the road.

I am planning to do 200s/400s next Saturday though. Now I'm really curious...

Stopped in FL today to ask about the Aug 2nd releases. Seems as though they've gotten a lot of inquiries about the Turbos. Nike did a great job creating some buzz regarding these.

Been waiting on the factory stores to get the 34s. The 34 (Breaking2) is one of my favorite casual wears.

awesome reading the reviews in here so far but nike f'd up...

saw these 35s at the outlets...
outlet peg35.jpg

$60 plus an extra 30% off the F&F sale brings it down to $42 before tax and that is an amazing deal and I actually like the gold-ish colorway and any other time it would be an insta-cop but...

all I really want to run in are the Pegasus Turbos!!!

AromaticThreadbareAmericanwigeon.gif

Pegasus Turbo 1.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:
whats up with the black grey colorway of the peg turbo? guy on youtube has a video of them and the swoosh color on the part of the midsole looks like it doesnt match with the swoosh on the upper?

awesome reading the reviews in here so far but nike f'd up...

saw these 35s at the outlets...
outlet peg35.jpg

$60 plus an extra 30% off the F&F sale brings it down to $42 before tax and that is an amazing deal and I actually like the gold-ish colorway and any other time it would be an insta-cop but...

all I really want to run in are the Pegasus Turbos!!!

AromaticThreadbareAmericanwigeon.gif

Pegasus Turbo 1.jpg

giphy.gif
Steal! I stay away from outlets cause I tend to get overwhelmed. Can I go to an outlet and ask them to search other outlets for a specific item? Specifically the Pegasus 35?

Here’s a short compression comparison video I made earlier today.

Awesome job! Thank you!

I think the quality of the slowmo video is great! I would have liked you to have pointed the camera a bit more towards the heel to capture the toe off in the stride as that is where I see the biggest difference.

The main difference I see (and maybe this is just my imagination) is that when the Turbo compresses, all the stored energy seems to push back straight up afterward. With the 4%, after compression, the stored energy seems to push more toward the back. So, my best guess is they both have the same energy return, just the Turbo kinda wastes it while the 4% uses it to push you forward. Maybe that is what the plate does... not sure.

Steal! I stay away from outlets cause I tend to get overwhelmed. Can I go to an outlet and ask them to search other outlets for a specific item? Specifically the Pegasus 35?
Yeah outlets can search other outlets inventories with the SKU #. Back it the day I was able to use the service to track other shoes down and make phone orders. Now that the phone orders stopped they now only tell you which nearest outlet has what your looking for. You could probably call Nike or Chat with Nike on Nike.com to get the info on which outlet near you has the 35s

@getz_racer & Mugen_EP Mugen_EP

How many miles do you guys avg on a weekly basis? What’s your running routine? Split miles throughout the day or all at once?

Between the wife, kids and work and I’m just happy to get a 15-20mi week lol

@getz_racer & Mugen_EP Mugen_EP

How many miles do you guys avg on a weekly basis? What’s your running routine? Split miles throughout the day or all at once?

Between the wife, kids and work and I’m just happy to get a 15-20mi week lol

I'm in the middle of a marathon build/Ironman plan so right now I'm in the 55-60mi/week range. I run off the bike Tues/Thurs, speed/track work on Wed, typically pace work on Sat, and my long run on Sun. I try to knock it all out at once and as early as possible on the weekends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom