Nike Air Trainer 1 "Safari" Vol. OG Safari (Via: KixandtheCity.com)

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze036

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

The ankle piece shouldn't be safari print IMO. It just seems like too much of the print.
thats what i thought at first but if you look at the OGs is the same blocking.
Indeed.  But for the sake of looks, the AT1s would look much better without the back being totally safari print.  Sometimes sticking to a theme exactly doesn't translate well on different models--too bad Nike sucks at recognizing that.  
And Tr1ll, the Air Safari will have a retro this year.  Will be copping 2 pairs this time if the quality is more on point than the last retros.  

Originally Posted by dadbath

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

This feels like a half baked idea. And with kids already running around with these, as noted by another NTer in NYC, this has hypebeast "look at me" all over it... The AT1 has NEVER been about that... But I should know better. They've done some crazy things with this model
I usually shy away from this type of mashup for this reason, but given the shared history of these two models, the fact that it's the 25th anniversary, and that they appear to have decent leather, I think they're a success. The amount of safari print definitely borders on "too much of a good thing", but since there still isn't a sign of an OG Air Safari retro this year, I'll take these. 
Here's a nice compilation of other models with the Safari print and colourway from a few years ago: 

http://sneakernews.com/20...lassic-pattern-colors-2/

Nike Safari – A look back at the classic pattern & colors

nike-safari-pattern-02.jpg

With the release of two additional chapters to the Air Safari 87′s story this past Spring and Summer, we felt it was time to take a look back to the 2003 retro and some of the sneakers inspired by the Safari 87′s OG colors in the past few years since. Starting with the newest on the left the Keep Rippin Stop Slippin Air Max 1 release June 2008, the Air Force 1 Safari released April 2008, Air Oasis Safari released July 2006 and the Air Safari 87 Retro released in 2003. We also took a look at the Air Max 1 Safari designed by Atmos released in 2002.

Take a look with us at this collection of sneakers inspired by “Safari

Not a fan, way too much going on. Maybe if the print wasn't on the collar and the swoosh was grey.

These would have done well had they been released 5 years ago or so. They're OK, but I'm not particularly compelled to cop. 

A little OD on the print. Remove it from the ankle back panel and you're good to go. Though I do agree that the leather lining is a no-go.

That shot with the 4 shoes made me remember i have 2 pairs of the AF1's @ my mother in laws house.

I wouldn't even betoo made if they made the retro's with a crappier leather as long as it didn't stretch out like the retro's from 03/04 (especially cause you know the days of that good supple butter leather are over). As long as they make the white blue joints in my size, we'll be GTG.

I like the design/concept of the OG Safari 87, but, imho, they weren't comfy at all. I hated the leather sockliner, as it left my ankle with blisters.

Despite the crazy outsole, I really can't wait for these to release, as they have a mesh toe box and what looks to be plush sockliner!

nike-air-safari-yellow-black-beige-1.jpg

nike-air-safari-yellow-black-beige-5.jpg

I definitely want to scoop these. I need to find a consistent place to find these shoes in a 15 or at least a way to check to see if they even will drop in that size.

Right now I'm just hyping myself to get let down. Release after release. SMH
ohwell.gif

That leather looks soft and crinkly, which is perfect for these shoes. I hated the retros originally because they were so stiff, and so the toebox creased like crazy and looked mis-shaped instead of having that nice soft, naturally creased look like the originals. Looks like I'll be copping both the trainers and the safari's. My wife's gonna think I'm nuts for getting both, but oh well.

I can only hope that these end up being as easy to get as the SC IIs ended up being. Let the younger crowd think these are hideous.

^
Yeah, I just love this shoe. I bought 2 pairs of the Mowabb colorway and they were one of the only doubles I actually needed. Most of my other doubles sit and collect dust, but these have been ran through like Karrine Steffans.

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

pics via sneakernew.com

if this is the version that's releasing then it looks like they got the quality right for the re-retro

nike-air-safari-pack-2-570x379.jpg

nike-air-safari-pack-1-570x379.jpg

more pics here:
http://sneakernews.com/20...04/nike-air-safari-pack/

Some observations:

The creasing  on the safari looks nothing like the 2003s did, even if those were beat down into the ground.. These remind me more of what is on parts of the sc II QS trainers.. A small portion where the 'webtec' is connected, there is this really soft white leather that is just really wrinkly...

The orange color looks to be a bit of a brighter orange than on the 2003s.. Even the safari print lacks that darker tan color.. It looks to be of the mold of the OASIS "safari" color, which isn't a bad thing.

The AT1 in the pack has a LEATHER strap, unlike the initial photos showing the typical rubber/plastic
------------
I spent like an hour of my free time in PS trying different ways to get the AT1 to have a little less safari. Nothing really looked right. You either go all the way and stay true 100% like they did, or you go with the 2001 at1 idea and keep it all solid colors.

Leather quality is looking pretty nice for this pack. I should congratulate Nike for this with my $$$$, but having owned and currently wearing a 2003 retro safari, there's no reason to have these.. Maybe just the safari eventually. The AT1 has no reason to be living, as a straight copycat. If leather quality is nice on these for the AT1, but crap for the chlorophyll, I will be disappointed.

Looks like these are dropping in Europe on 6/15. I've been calling around to little shops that would normally get these to see if they're going to be getting them, but so far no one knows anything (I need to get the managers on the phone to find out if they ordered them at all)

If I don't find out more info soon, I know I'm going to end up ordering these from Europe and end up paying way too much for them :/

Back
Top Bottom