Nike Free Performance Questions!

Hey!

I am considering getting a pair of Nike Free because I am curious about how they can improve the strength of my feet and also, probably, my striking pattern. However, since I don't have alot of money to spend on running shoes I am wondering how these shoes may be used, except just longer distance running? here are my questions:
1. Can you use nike frees for sprinting (included hurdling and the stuff that goes with this kind of training)?
2. Can you use nike frees for jump training?

And with "can" i obviously mean is the injury risk singnificantly increased if you use them for these kind of activities? Which one of the frees would be best fitted for my needs?

Hope someone can help me out,

Emil J

Hey!

I am considering getting a pair of Nike Free because I am curious about how they can improve the strength of my feet and also, probably, my striking pattern. However, since I don't have alot of money to spend on running shoes I am wondering how these shoes may be used, except just longer distance running? here are my questions:
1. Can you use nike frees for sprinting (included hurdling and the stuff that goes with this kind of training)?
2. Can you use nike frees for jump training?

And with "can" i obviously mean is the injury risk singnificantly increased if you use them for these kind of activities? Which one of the frees would be best fitted for my needs?

Hope someone can help me out,

Emil J

The answer to all your questions is yes. But you must take your time and let your feet get used to them. I have run and trained in free 5.0s /free run+ for the past 5 years or so. I run half marathons in them. I also do p90x plyometrics either barefoot on my tile floor or in my frees. When I first started running in frees I used to get foot pain from fatigue at a out 5 miles but it disappeared after my feet got stronger. I plan to pick up a pair of free tr s for p90x. Just waiting for more of a price drop

The answer to all your questions is yes. But you must take your time and let your feet get used to them. I have run and trained in free 5.0s /free run+ for the past 5 years or so. I run half marathons in them. I also do p90x plyometrics either barefoot on my tile floor or in my frees. When I first started running in frees I used to get foot pain from fatigue at a out 5 miles but it disappeared after my feet got stronger. I plan to pick up a pair of free tr s for p90x. Just waiting for more of a price drop

Originally Posted by DR DAMON

Excellent. so you are recommending I get the newest trainers instead of the 3.0s?
Yes of course. I will start slowly using the frees just walking for the next few weeks till the basketball season is over. Then I guess I will start running in them once or twice a week depending on my feet.

Excellent. so you are recommending I get the newest trainers instead of the 3.0s?
Yes of course. I will start slowly using the frees just walking for the next few weeks till the basketball season is over. Then I guess I will start running in them once or twice a week depending on my feet.

Originally Posted by emil23j

I have nike free 7.0's and maybe its just because i don't run as far but i never had foot pain when i switched from my shox.  But i only run 4 miles a day @+$.  So maybe that's it.

But i plan on purchasing a pair of nike free run's soon.  Does anyone know if these compare to wearing Vibram's?  It seems like people at my gym think Vibram's are the greatest thing ever.  But to me they do the same thing that nike Free's do.  More range of motion barefoot-run experience.  Anyone think vibrams > frees?  I know people say they are great for lifting and all too.

I have nike free 7.0's and maybe its just because i don't run as far but i never had foot pain when i switched from my shox.  But i only run 4 miles a day @+$.  So maybe that's it.

But i plan on purchasing a pair of nike free run's soon.  Does anyone know if these compare to wearing Vibram's?  It seems like people at my gym think Vibram's are the greatest thing ever.  But to me they do the same thing that nike Free's do.  More range of motion barefoot-run experience.  Anyone think vibrams > frees?  I know people say they are great for lifting and all too.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Did you try any sprinting or jumping in them??

Not regularly but i am a fairly active person.  I played indoor soccer in them twice.  Maybe I just already have strong feet or something lol idk.

Not regularly but i am a fairly active person.  I played indoor soccer in them twice.  Maybe I just already have strong feet or something lol idk.

^^I see.

That is crazy. I am a basketball player but I don't think I would ever play basketball in frees. I need the extra support. I've been experience problems this year with my plantar fascia and also an overuse injury related to my big toe, I never experienced this before and I think one of the reasons might be because I got ortophedic insoles before the season started... probably a stupid decision.

^^I see.

That is crazy. I am a basketball player but I don't think I would ever play basketball in frees. I need the extra support. I've been experience problems this year with my plantar fascia and also an overuse injury related to my big toe, I never experienced this before and I think one of the reasons might be because I got ortophedic insoles before the season started... probably a stupid decision.

Yeah I'd like to know more about the Free's as well. Any information users have please state

Yeah I'd like to know more about the Free's as well. Any information users have please state

Free's are an overall good shoe for running/sprinting and would be ideal for hurdles if you have good balance.
I prefer to wear my Free TR's and dynamic trainers when I'm weight lifting because they offer more stability. Also, the soles
on my Free Trainers have more texture which helps grip the floor much better than my Free 5.0s. I've sprained both my ankles
twice so when I first bought the 5.0s it took some time to get used to the "free" feel; my ankles and feet felt vulnerable but
quickly gained strength and confidence after about a week of running.

Free's are an overall good shoe for running/sprinting and would be ideal for hurdles if you have good balance.
I prefer to wear my Free TR's and dynamic trainers when I'm weight lifting because they offer more stability. Also, the soles
on my Free Trainers have more texture which helps grip the floor much better than my Free 5.0s. I've sprained both my ankles
twice so when I first bought the 5.0s it took some time to get used to the "free" feel; my ankles and feet felt vulnerable but
quickly gained strength and confidence after about a week of running.

The key to getting the best experience using frees is simulating the barefoot strike. The reason the frees lack support is to train your feet to run the way you are meant, with a forefoot strike

The problem is many people still run heel to toe, which is deadly with frees b/c of support and heel cush..

The Forefoot stride takes some time getting used to, for those who don't know try running heel to toe barefoot, not a smart move you'll find bc humans were meant to naturally kick out the foot, and land, so naturally that's how you are supposed to use frees, but they still allow you to cheat, that's why they say vibrams are better b/c they leave little room for error which makes sense but DON'T GO HEEL TO TOE, start off with a midfoot stride and move to a forefoot stride.

To the op,
1. yes, they would be great2. They would work but I would suggest something with more support and heel protection
Sorry for all the text but I just had to
laugh.gif
, I'll try to get some videos that help but you don't need frees to make your fret stronger, just change the way you run

The key to getting the best experience using frees is simulating the barefoot strike. The reason the frees lack support is to train your feet to run the way you are meant, with a forefoot strike

The problem is many people still run heel to toe, which is deadly with frees b/c of support and heel cush..

The Forefoot stride takes some time getting used to, for those who don't know try running heel to toe barefoot, not a smart move you'll find bc humans were meant to naturally kick out the foot, and land, so naturally that's how you are supposed to use frees, but they still allow you to cheat, that's why they say vibrams are better b/c they leave little room for error which makes sense but DON'T GO HEEL TO TOE, start off with a midfoot stride and move to a forefoot stride.

To the op,
1. yes, they would be great2. They would work but I would suggest something with more support and heel protection
Sorry for all the text but I just had to
laugh.gif
, I'll try to get some videos that help but you don't need frees to make your fret stronger, just change the way you run

Back
Top Bottom