Nike Greater Than Series (Cut/Run/Jump)

I’m interested to see how popular the Cuts stay with the NBA players. I’ve only played in mine a couple times but am starting to get worried they may not be for me. The cushioning is heavenly for step-in comfort and snappy and responsive when I’m playing full speed. But after a few hours of play, my arches, top of foot, and shins hurt. Starting to wonder if orthotics would fit with the drop-ins
obviously, not for your playing style. get the 36 or wait for the Jumps.

I am getting up there in age lol. But I play ~3 days a week and don’t get these pains from any other shoes in my rotation.

There's been plenty of warning about these causing injuries. It's probably somewhere around page 20 or something. I shied away from them for a while because of it. You're definitely not alone. There was a podiatrist that even made a video talking about why people should stay away from shoes with big drop in soles like this when doing something like playing basketball or some other sport where your foot is constantly in motion.

IIRC the general idea was that with a drop in type shoe there's too much motion going on in the shoe and that ultimately results in forces that cause injuries.

That said, there are a decent amount of NBA players wearing them. Davion Mitchell, Matisse Thybulle, somebody on the Suns, Anfernee Simons, and others.

DeAndre Jordan

1635384969110.png

Not to mention, NBA players ankles and arches are heavily taped up. I'm considering wearing a light ankle/arch wrap if I start hopping in the GT Cuts more regular.

B Boardman I sold my pair of the first blk/red/green that dropped because of the shin pain after an hour or so of wearing. Hurt me to do it because I loved everything about the shoe but my Cosmic Unity and KD14 weren’t having the same thing issue.

Not to mention, NBA players ankles and arches are heavily taped up. I'm considering wearing a light ankle/arch wrap if I start hopping in the GT Cuts more regular.
Yeah that might be the move. Love everything else about the shoe so I want to make them work

Last edited:
There's been plenty of warning about these causing injuries. It's probably somewhere around page 20 or something. I shied away from them for a while because of it. You're definitely not alone. There was a podiatrist that even made a video talking about why people should stay away from shoes with big drop in soles like this when doing something like playing basketball or some other sport where your foot is constantly in motion.

IIRC the general idea was that with a drop in type shoe there's too much motion going on in the shoe and that ultimately results in forces that cause injuries.

That said, there are a decent amount of NBA players wearing them. Davion Mitchell, Matisse Thybulle, somebody on the Suns, Anfernee Simons, and others.
I highly doubt that it has to do with the whole drop-in thing nor movement inside the shoe that is causing this problem considering we had Kobes, Lebron, etc.... which had these big drop-in midsoles with no problem at all. if this was really the case, we would have known it years ago. I suspect that it has nothing to do with the drop-in midsole but rather the sloping construct of the midsole. the Cuts seem to be sloping downwards towards the forefoot which imo could cause much pressure to your shins. I would guess that if you are already a forefoot user or in your toes, it adds more to the impact. I guess Heel -Strikers are less affected by this. now why is this more prominent on the Cuts compared to other shoes? I believe the lack of a firmer midsole on the forefoot which only has an outsole, thin zoom unit and a thin soft insole/insert/midsole can cause that problem. imagine walking half-a-shoe with a missing forefoot or walking with high heels.

Last edited:
Everybody in the league is wearing the cuts 🔥🔥🔥

No way in h*** they would be wearing them if this was a well known issue

I have played in my pairs for over 2-3 hours of non stop full court and not one issue

Last edited:

I have work my pairs for over 2-3 hours of non stop film court and not one issue
If there was an issue then equipment managers wouldn’t allow it, just like they banned the hyperize

Notably, Cade Cunningham was wearing them in training camp and in summer league games.

They seem to work for some people and cause injuries for some people.

Everybody's different with different playstyles. Some people put a lot of force into their movements and maybe some shoes don't work for that. Some people wear braces or thicker or thinner socks or play different positions or tape their ankles. I've seen enough reports about it to know it's obviously a possibility. In my opinion just take it as data. Nobody's stopping anybody from buying any shoe they want.

That said, I really hope that black colorway comes out soon. Seeing Anfernee Simons playing in them every few days just makes them look dope AF.

I have played in my pairs for over 2-3 hours of non stop full court and not one issue
Exaggeration! seen more freak 3 than cuts haha

concur, one of the best sneaker designs I have ever worn in my life.

also, drop in insoles have been around for a long time. LeBron IV and the ultra flight are two that come to mind that I have both worn, never had an issue with either of those also. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Those that have played in the cuts.. what makes them so amazing? Is it the strobel?

I just tried the pg5 on court and experienced the strobel for the first time. It’s amazing and should be in every Nike shoe imo

Those that have played in the cuts.. what makes them so amazing? Is it the strobel?

I just tried the pg5 on court and experienced the strobel for the first time. It’s amazing and should be in every Nike shoe imo
The strobel, color blocking, style or anesthetics, materials, comfort. PGs or KDs more like a slight cut down version of the GT CUTS imo. Or let's say a variation of the Cut.

Back
Top Bottom