Nike Greater Than Series (Cut/Run/Jump)

How long you had them or how often do you play in them? Crazy how fast yours wore down
I have the laser blue pair, so I got them last May. They aren’t “worn down” I guess, but they do look rough and the outsole definitely isn’t as grippy as it once was. I basically used them exclusively for the past 10-11 months, a few times per week and didn’t rotate any other pairs in there. They’re still playable for sure

I’m definitely going to rotate other pairs in there now, but these were so good I just never wanted to play in anything else

I have the laser blue pair, so I got them last May. They aren’t “worn down” I guess, but they do look rough and the outsole definitely isn’t as grippy as it once was. I basically used them exclusively for the past 10-11 months, a few times per week and didn’t rotate any other pairs in there. They’re still playable for sure

I’m definitely going to rotate other pairs in there now, but these were so good I just never wanted to play in anything else

Has the react broke down a lot? That was always my issue with drop in midsoles especially when it was lunar like the Kobe 8,9s

Has the react broke down a lot? That was always my issue with drop in midsoles especially when it was lunar like the Kobe 8,9s
Feels pretty good still surprisingly. I had the same issues with Kobe 9’s, but I think react is definitely more resilient than lunarlon. I can tell it’s not quite as squishy as day 1 but I’m impressed that it is still pretty damn good after playing in it multiple times a week for almost a year.

Feels pretty good still surprisingly. I had the same issues with Kobe 9’s, but I think react is definitely more resilient than lunarlon. I can tell it’s not quite as squishy as day 1 but I’m impressed that it is still pretty damn good after playing in it multiple times a week for almost a year.

Good to hear. Once that lunar bottomed out you were finished with the Kobe’s. Good thing about these they at least have the zoom strobel so you could prob just find a really thick insole and still use them.

for a year of constant use? you're pretty conservative if it is still ok. normally, it would be 3 months of constant use before it reaches that kind of rough state. a lot of my pairs are rarely used considering I'm saving them for hoopin which hasn't been a lot for the past few years. the ones that were broken down was due to them being used as beaters for work and even those took 2 years to show signs of traction wear even if I walk with them atleast 9 hours a day.

Basketball shoes typically have a lifespan of about 500 miles. Once that foam compresses to a certain degree you'll lose the bounciness of it

Basketball shoes typically have a lifespan of about 500 miles. Once that foam compresses to a certain degree you'll lose the bounciness of it
that would mean it would take 4 months for me to have that bounciness to wear off if we are considering the mileage for it and not the breakdown due to stress factors. the funny part is that at 4 months, the shoes still look good.

so I would think that 500 mileage is only applicable to constant basketball use. I remember wearing out shoes in 3 months but that was when I was still playing actively like 3x-4x a week.

Would be cool to track mileage on pairs of shoes I play in. I know they used to have that chip in the kobe elites that you could pay extra for. Only way now I think is using my apple watch and getting a ballpark figure that way.

My style of play has changed a lot from my hs/college days. I drive when it's open but my first instinct is to line it up from the 3 point line. I used to love breakaways but now I realize all the young kids are so fast (or I'm slow) and they can close the gap pretty quickly. One other thing, I think I saw a review on these that said they're great for indoors, but just okay for outdoors. This kinda sucks since I play majority outdoors nowadays

Would be cool to track mileage on pairs of shoes I play in. I know they used to have that chip in the kobe elites that you could pay extra for. Only way now I think is using my apple watch and getting a ballpark figure that way.

My style of play has changed a lot from my hs/college days. I drive when it's open but my first instinct is to line it up from the 3 point line. I used to love breakaways but now I realize all the young kids are so fast (or I'm slow) and they can close the gap pretty quickly. One other thing, I think I saw a review on these that said they're great for indoors, but just okay for outdoors. This kinda sucks since I play majority outdoors nowadays

a few years ago, I could still keep up with the young ones and was practically very fast and agile and could really leap for rebounds and blocks. due to age and injuries, I resigned to the fact that I can no longer do these things on an optimal level.

this is how I transitioned to my former game to deal with the young ones nowadays....

let me tell you that there is no more satisfying than schooling these athletic young guys with easy basic moves and scoring and rebounding consistently.

Here for some advice since we on the subject now:

I'm gonna be 39 this year and play 4-5 times a week. Lately I have been getting lots and lots of nagging little issues in my body and I don't recover the same way I used to couple pf years ago.

How should I start downgrading my workload, just cut playing time or replace some of it with gym work or how would you guys do it?

I'm gonna be 39 this year and play 4-5 times a week. Lately I have been getting lots and lots of nagging little issues in my body and I don't recover the same way I used to couple pf years ago.

How should I start downgrading my workload, just cut playing time or replace some of it with gym work or how would you guys do it?

If you're overweight or a heavier guy, lose some weight so there's less stress on your joints.

I usually only play two times a week but each time it'll be for about 4 hours of non-stop runs. I'm the older guy on the court but I look younger than a lot of them cause I stay in shape.

I also work out, whether it be with weights or just body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups and I'm still able to keep up or play better than guys in their 20s. I last grabbed rim 2 years ago though but I'm still able to block 6'6 guys and guard them.

If you're overweight or a heavier guy, lose some weight so there's less stress on your joints.

I usually only play two times a week but each time it'll be for about 4 hours of non-stop runs. I'm the older guy on the court but I look younger than a lot of them cause I stay in shape.

I also work out, whether it be with weights or just body weight exercises like push ups and pull ups and I'm still able to keep up or play better than guys in their 20s. I last grabbed rim 2 years ago though but I'm still able to block 6'6 guys and guard them.

If you want to give guys good advice it’ll be to NOT play 4 hours at a time and much less 4 hours straight!

After playing four 4 hours a teenager will wake up needing a new body and new knees!

1651531089840.gif

34 this year. My body gets real sore after playing on Sundays for about 2 hours. Recently got invited to play at an indoor gym on Wednesdays too, but debating if I wanna make this a weekly thing.
At that age, I was still playing great basketball and could keep up with the young guns.

I don’t really have advice for you but I’m in the same boat. I’ll be 38 in June. I think **** got rough around 33 or so. Nagging injuries and super slow recovery. I still hoop 2-3x a week. Real talk I was telling my boy the other day I feel like I’m either injured or an injury is coming 😂

I stay in good shape but I know I smoke n drink too much, that ain’t helping

If you want to give guys good advice it’ll be to NOT play 4 hours at a time and much less 4 hours straight!

After playing four 4 hours a teenager will wake up needing a new body and new knees!

1651531089840.gif

Where did I tell him he should play for four hours?

I can play for four hours, everybody is different.

I started less playing time like doing mwf instead of m to f, pacing during games, changing your Play style or transition to another position. Since I played 1/2 and 4/5, the transition was just normal for me.

I don’t really have advice for you but I’m in the same boat. I’ll be 38 in June. I think **** got rough around 33 or so. Nagging injuries and super slow recovery. I still hoop 2-3x a week. Real talk I was telling my boy the other day I feel like I’m either injured or an injury is coming 😂

I stay in good shape but I know I smoke n drink too much, that ain’t helping

I swear...I hit 33 and overnight my skin looked like ****, my hair felt different, my joints started aching...brutal.

Yeah, I did give advice on losing weight.

The average adult male is 200 lbs and women are 170 lbs.

That's a lot of stress on your joints which can cause injury when playing.
I'm over 200 lbs. and it does give a lot of stress on my foot, legs, and knees. although for some reason, I am able to cope up. but possibly because I transformed those fat mass into muscle mass. if I was someone who is weighing 200 lbs of lard, I do think that I would struggle a lot with my cardio and weigh-bearing. although I'm still overweight, I'm just saying I'm managing it because of muscle development, diet and fasting.

Back
Top Bottom