Have we seen the REAL XX’s?

• Yes

Votes: 107 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 24.6%

• Total voters
Zoom freak 1? No shank
1665524092676.png

Lebron 17? No shank (air bag placement creates the midfoot stiffness)
1665524216505.png

Lebron witness 3? No shank plate.
1665524569506.png

Kobe AD exodus? No shank plate.
1665524647716.png

I can't find a picture of the giannis immortality 1 or 2 cut in half but I'm pretty sure they don't have shank plates either.

Shank plates are a design feature that usually gets included in higher-end basketball models and left out of budget (but still very playable) shoes, because materials cost money and are tied into the marketing of shoes.
You may notice that shoes that have full length air or elaborate airbags don't have shank plates, because the unit itself creates enough midfoot stiffness. Thickness and geometry of the midsole can compensate for the absence of a shank plate.

"injury prevention" isn't something we can quantify well because you can't count things that don't happen and you can't accurately predict injury frequency. There's a ton of variables that could contribute to foot injury, including ankle range of motion, integrity and force exposure/conditioning of soft tissue structures, etc. People who have existing issues with their plantar fascia or midfoot will likely benefit from a shoe with design that supports the midfoot with more rigidity because that addresses a specific need they have. People's feet, needs, and experiences may vary.
is that you foot doctor zach? 🤔

Damn 30% off and the box wasn’t gutted? That’s a deal and a half. I can’t remember the last good thing I’ve seen at the outlet closes to me…

Zoom freak 1? No shank
1665524092676.png

Lebron 17? No shank (air bag placement creates the midfoot stiffness)
1665524216505.png

Lebron witness 3? No shank plate.
1665524569506.png

Kobe AD exodus? No shank plate.
1665524647716.png

I can't find a picture of the giannis immortality 1 or 2 cut in half but I'm pretty sure they don't have shank plates either.

Shank plates are a design feature that usually gets included in higher-end basketball models and left out of budget (but still very playable) shoes, because materials cost money and are tied into the marketing of shoes.
You may notice that shoes that have full length air or elaborate airbags don't have shank plates, because the unit itself creates enough midfoot stiffness. Thickness and geometry of the midsole can compensate for the absence of a shank plate.

"injury prevention" isn't something we can quantify well because you can't count things that don't happen and you can't accurately predict injury frequency. There's a ton of variables that could contribute to foot injury, including ankle range of motion, integrity and force exposure/conditioning of soft tissue structures, etc. People who have existing issues with their plantar fascia or midfoot will likely benefit from a shoe with design that supports the midfoot with more rigidity because that addresses a specific need they have. People's feet, needs, and experiences may vary.

Yall dead posting pics of sneakers cut in half arguing about a damn shank plank. :sick:

I rather see pics of jorts and ankle socks.

it's all marketing. nike introduced it in the kobe 5 then got rid of it in the 9.. if it was that important then they would have kept it.

our bodies can adapt to almost anything. our feet don't know the difference between shank vs no shank. players played for decades without a shank plate.
Wait wait wait… do you think the Kobe 5 was the first shoe with a shank plate?! Lmao they’ve been in Jordan’s for years

Wait wait wait… do you think the Kobe 5 was the first shoe with a shank plate?! Lmao they’ve been in Jordan’s for years

No I didn’t think that but I mis-spoke regardless as the Kobe line had the shank plate from the 1's

Nike adds/removed tech all the time. If such a piece of tech was so important it would be in every shoe is my point.

I'm gonna be that one dude, and tell the folks of NikeTalk that I love an good ole shank plate on my shoes. Being an almost 40 year/200 pound dude, playing basketball for over 25 years of my life has really put it's toll on my body. I can absolutely feel it afterwards if I have played in a minimalist shoe vs let's say something like LeBron 20 or Jordan 32. I'm not even exaggerating when I say I have had 50 ankle sprains in my life, from mild to serious. And not even mentioning all those midfoot sprains, achilles strains, you name it.

When I see new shoes coming, I usually get excited but when I found out they don't have any kind of shank plate or stability system, my interest goes down immediately.

All in all, I'm not saying everybody needs an shank plate. I'm just saying that it's an nice feature for people who need it.

I'm gonna be that one dude, and tell the folks of NikeTalk that I love an good ole shank plate on my shoes. Being an almost 40 year/200 pound dude, playing basketball for over 25 years of my life has really put it's toll on my body. I can absolutely feel it afterwards if I have played in a minimalist shoe vs let's say something like LeBron 20 or Jordan 32. I'm not even exaggerating when I say I have had 50 ankle sprains in my life, from mild to serious. And not even mentioning all those midfoot sprains, achilles strains, you name it.

When I see new shoes coming, I usually get excited but when I found out they don't have any kind of shank plate or stability system, my interest goes down immediately.

All in all, I'm not saying everybody needs an shank plate. I'm just saying that it's an nice feature for people who need it.

Ditto. Some aren’t bad - the Infinity does to other me at all because the sole is flat from heel to toe. But if there is any kind of chance my foot will bend downward in the middle I’m out.

They must just be putting the returns back up and the numbers for each size are super low. I refuse to believe these are so hyped that they’re all sold out even checking 30 min after they go up.

Back
Top Bottom