NIKE METCON THREAD - 7s out now

I think Dave Castro is trying to get too cute or too innovative with the Games. Also, the fact that your team cannot have a substitute to finish the events is absolutely asinine.. Why couldn't someone think that far in advance to know that a definitely possibility?

In my opinion, the Grid League is going to be the future...

The Games was CRAZY - I was rooting for Fraser but obviously he slipped up. Glad to meet a few of you out there.... If you were out there im sure you enjoyed the scenery as much as i did lol.

saw a ton of metcons, really dig the black 3m pair with the orange heel ....

-Fresh 

The Games was CRAZY - I was rooting for Fraser but obviously he slipped up. Glad to meet a few of you out there.... If you were out there im sure you enjoyed the scenery as much as i did lol.

-Fresh 
you ever find out what was in that invictus bag? 
wink.gif

-Fresh 
you ever find out what was in that invictus bag? 
wink.gif

MANNNNNN i was looking for that **** everywhere, i think it was a myth like unicorns. 

I think Dave Castro is trying to get too cute or too innovative with the Games. Also, the fact that your team cannot have a substitute to finish the events is absolutely asinine.. Why couldn't someone think that far in advance to know that a definitely possibility?

I'm starting to wonder what kind of evolution the crossfit games will have over the next few years. 4 years ago I looked at it as something that if I really focused on I might be able to get to. Now I look at it as a, yeah right there is no way I could do 50% of it. Aside from men, women, masters, teen... you have to wonder if they will evolve the groupings to weight classes, or if they'll start determining weights for events by percentage of body weight or something along those lines to keep things competitive and people interested in training for them. 

A woman from my gym is on the Miami surge, so we recorded it to watch when they aired the Grid League on NBC sports a bit ago. It was cool to watch as there were some crazy movements like free standing HSPU and toes to bar with a wall ball between your legs. The other aspect that was cool was at times male and female athletes are going against each other.  I won't lie that I found that pretty entertaining, I just think they need to fine tune it some with their format and it could really take off. 

And you can have substitutions! The Games should have an 8 person team.. 1 male and 1 female alternate. Which must qualify in the open. Simple right?

Grid League will probably fold by the end of 2016.  It's just a money pit at this point.  There were like 45 people at the "championships" last year, and even less at the opener this year.  Also the fact that their matches are televised on tape delay sometimes weeks apart doesn't help.  

They had a match last week and I only found out about it because one of the athletes on the team snapchatted about it after the fact.

Last edited:
Grid League will probably fold by the end of 2016.  It's just a money pit at this point.  There were like 45 people at the "championships" last year, and even less at the opener this year.  Also the fact that their matches are televised on tape delay sometimes weeks apart doesn't help.  

They had a match last week and I only found out about it because one of the athletes on the team snapchatted about it after the fact.

The potential is there for a "Fitness League". CrossFit is too big for something like that not to prosper.. Someone needs to take hold of it..

and that fact that the teams dont even play in the area they are from.

out of all the games, lets say Miami Surge, they only play ONE match in Miami. the rest are in California at some "GRID weekend" 

unless they follow more like real sports, like NBA, NFL, MLB etc...i doubt itll get too popular.

athletes are only in it cause its a $2500 check each time they "dress" for a match

and that fact that the teams dont even play in the area they are from.

out of all the games, lets say Miami Surge, they only play ONE match in Miami. the rest are in California at some "GRID weekend" 

unless they follow more like real sports, like NBA, NFL, MLB etc...i doubt itll get too popular.

athletes are only in it cause its a $2500 check each time they "dress" for a match
From what I hear the TV Contract with NBCsports is what is funding the majority of it. If they were to lose that they would be done, but yeah I didn't know anything about it until the woman from my gym posted something on facebook about it. The time of day they aired it was weird too, 4:30 MST on a Tuesday? I DVR'd it and watched it later that night... I guess it's a good thing that DVR recordings are starting to be more prominent in the ratings. 

From what I hear the TV Contract with NBCsports is what is funding the majority of it. If they were to lose that they would be done, but yeah I didn't know anything about it until the woman from my gym posted something on facebook about it. The time of day they aired it was weird too, 4:30 MST on a Tuesday? I DVR'd it and watched it later that night... I guess it's a good thing that DVR recordings are starting to be more prominent in the ratings. 
yea man. its mad strange. i do photography for a couple teams on GRID and ill shoot a match on a sunday, but then a month or two later nbc sports will post online about the match airing on thursday at 1pm EST

To be completely honest, as a person who is nerdy as can be about competitive exercise, Grid is one of the most boring things to watch.  I've been to a couple live events and they're slightly more entertaining in person, but watching it on tv or online it's just like background noise while I text people...  

I just don't see how they can succeed when I (their target consumer) is generally bored by it.  Imagine how the average non-crossfitter/functional fitness/athlete will feel about it... 

I get it.. But beats the hell out of watching the final event of the CrossFit games.. Who wants to watch the guys finish on a stationary bike? I own one.. And it sucks.. But I don't want to watch the final event with it..

Lol true that. The 50 worm n jerks was a good ending though. Much like double grace last year but these guys n gals are just freaks of nature to do two hero wods harder than normal and wake up the next two days for 6 more wods. Just unbelievable.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of evolution the crossfit games will have over the next few years. 4 years ago I looked at it as something that if I really focused on I might be able to get to. Now I look at it as a, yeah right there is no way I could do 50% of it. Aside from men, women, masters, teen... you have to wonder if they will evolve the groupings to weight classes, or if they'll start determining weights for events by percentage of body weight or something along those lines to keep things competitive and people interested in training for them. 

A woman from my gym is on the Miami surge, so we recorded it to watch when they aired the Grid League on NBC sports a bit ago. It was cool to watch as there were some crazy movements like free standing HSPU and toes to bar with a wall ball between your legs. The other aspect that was cool was at times male and female athletes are going against each other.  I won't lie that I found that pretty entertaining, I just think they need to fine tune it some with their format and it could really take off. 
who from your gym is from the Miami Surge?  I'm from Berkeley CrossFit, and her teammate, Charis Chan, trains at my gym.  Nice to see some sort of random connection on here. haha

also, to stay on topic, I agree with your questioning on the evolution of CF.  It seems like every year the theme is how far can we push people until they break.  This year I think there were much more exhaustion related injuries than I have ever seen.  I do not agree with the grid's "stupid human tricks" method of making the movements tougher (i.e. burpee back flips?..really?!?), but I am curious as to how Castro can find a good mid point between tougher programming and just plain having the survival of the fittest mentality.

I get it.. But beats the hell out of watching the final event of the CrossFit games.. Who wants to watch the guys finish on a stationary bike? I own one.. And it sucks.. But I don't want to watch the final event with it..
agreed...bike at the end was very anti-climactic..peg board was interesting though, along with the 50 worm clean and jerks

who from your gym is from the Miami Surge?  I'm from Berkeley CrossFit, and her teammate, Charis Chan, trains at my gym.  Nice to see some sort of random connection on here. haha

also, to stay on topic, I agree with your questioning on the evolution of CF.  It seems like every year the theme is how far can we push people until they break.  This year I think there were much more exhaustion related injuries than I have ever seen.  I do not agree with the grid's "stupid human tricks" method of making the movements tougher (i.e. burpee back flips?..really?!?), but I am curious as to how Castro can find a good mid point between tougher programming and just plain having the survival of the fittest mentality.

He should consult with the Sealfit programming.. Made me build up to a 1 rep max Curtis P the other day for God sakes.. Their programming is awesome.. How awesome would it be to watch these guys finish with 50 Curtis P's at 155?

I think the team events were pretty good.. But honestly, when it comes to water they should go back to the pool.. I don't like how some current can affect one person and not the other.. I'm just being picky..

The pegboard in PTTM 1 seemed like an obstacle from American Ninja Warrior...not Crossfit.  Just about every other event had some direct correlation to a movement or equipment that you would have at your box...sandbags, tire, pull up rigs, C2 rowers, wall balls.  What does it say that only one woman completed the pegboard?  Nothing that you can do about this now, but I really don't want to see the Games adopt more of these "wacky" event components just to stay cool.

Agreed.. I'd prefer not watch them paddle board for 2 miles either.
I forgot about that.  I like the swimming events...it does force athletes further (farther?) away from specialization.  A couple of years ago in the pool they had to swim and then do something like bar muscle-ups or pull-ups...that was a good couplet IMO.  The open water swim was good, but paddle board for a mile and the result is not going to be that much different.

As someone mentioned earlier many of the events seemed aimed at pushing competitors to failure and exhaustion...look at how many athletes across all levels...individual, teen and masters...were unable to complete timed events under the cap.  

Grid league has potential but their marketing scheduling and ability to draw fans sucks. They need a lot of help.

Back
Top Bottom