Nike sample sale???

I live in Columbia, MD and we used to have a Nike sample sale a certain Thursday in November.  I can't remember if it was the first Thursday in November or what.  We used to skip school, camp hard with people from Florida and Texas, etc.

For those who do not know, Nike sample sale was where Nike showcased upcoming releases of their shoes.  Jordan Brand was included.  They had ONE pair per style, per colorway, per category (Men, Women, Kids, etc.)

Any way, they no longer do this at that location.  I went one day just to see what was up and they said they no longer do it due to fakes.  I'm thinking certain fake production sites would pay people BIG bucks for samples.

My questions:
Do they do this in Oregon at Nike's headquarters?  If so, does any one know when they do it?
Do they restrict it to certain people only?

Any and all help appreciated.  Thank you.

This old lady used to do sample sales in Norcal all the time, but she doesn't do it anymore. Maybe everyone stopped?

Nike sends all the sales samples to their Nike factory outlet stores nationwide now.

sometimes a sample shoe can get in a outlet before it releases but most of the time the samples get sent to the outlets once they hit the retail stores.
Mens/womens size samples at outlet's currently retail for no more $59.99, but you can usually catch them priced even lower.

From what I understand, it's illegal to sell samples. If those sample sale events are run by Nike, then I guess i'm wrong, but my connect back in the day told me she wasn't allowed to sell them (but did to me anyway).

I don't see why it'd be camp-worthy...everything is pretty much a GR anyway. You can, however, find a ton of samples at Nike Outlet stores.

^^^

idk if its just me and my outlet, but the samples here are usually yellowed badly, or dirty. its usually one shoe being yellowed really bad.

Nike HQ still has sample sales. Sometimes huge quantities of shoes, shirts etc. Not always good stuff but everything is $10. Cash or check only.

From what I understand, it's illegal to sell samples. If those sample sale events are run by Nike, then I guess i'm wrong, but my connect back in the day told me she wasn't allowed to sell them (but did to me anyway).

If the company didn't pay a duty for importing them from the overseas factories and got them for free, technically they aren't supposed to make a profit off them.

Originally Posted by Sole Investigator

If the company didn't pay a duty for importing them from the overseas factories and got them for free, technically they aren't supposed to make a profit off them.
I don't know about illegal, but the lady who would always did it in Norcal always did it at a church or school, but I think she donated to wherever she did the sample sales

NIKE doesn't send all samples to the Factory Stores, as there are several types of samples:  look-see, weartest, and sales.  Look-see and weartest are kept on campus.  Sales samples can be distributed through different channels.  Previously, EKINs and reps had to purchase their samples from NIKE at cost (half of MSRP).  The reps were allowed to sell their samples, for the price they paid, to approved vendors - who then resold them at their discression.  I don't know if that's still how it's done.  Factory Stores are getting a TON of samples lately.  The Round Rock, Texas store recently had more men's size 9 samples in their back hash wall than I could count.  Interestingly, most of them had the original factory labels (such as Pou Chen).  Each category (running, team sports, vision, etc...) has sample sales on campus and they are restricted to employees or visitors with credentials. 

Originally Posted by Zach13g

Nike sends all the sales samples to their Nike factory outlet stores nationwide now.

sometimes a sample shoe can get in a outlet before it releases but most of the time the samples get sent to the outlets once they hit the retail stores.
Mens/womens size samples at outlet's currently retail for no more $59.99, but you can usually catch them priced even lower.
All Nike samples get sent to NikeTown stores or NikeTown Factory Outlet stores?  I know you said Factory Outlet stores, but I wanted to verify.

Because I am in MD, the closest ones to me are in Hagerstown and Perryville, right?  I used this link - http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/info/locator.jsp

Do you know how many samples get sent to the stores?

Do certain stores get the shoes while others do not?  I ask this because I'm sure NY or LA would be more prone to receive shipments than MD or anywhere lower key.

Would you suggest I hit the store up TO SEE IF THEY HAVE samples, NOT selling them yet, the day of the release or a few days before?

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

I don't see why it'd be camp-worthy...everything is pretty much a GR anyway. You can, however, find a ton of samples at Nike Outlet stores.
Nike ran the sample sales.  It was sort of weird though because the building they did the sale in was an office park, rather than a retail park.  I think it illegal to re-sell samples and I believe that is part of the reason why they stopped it my location!! 
devil.gif
mad.gif

Personally, anything I highly desire is camp-worthy.  Black/Metallic 5s were a GR and sold out instantly.  Same goes for the Aquas.  On top of that, as I mentioned in the OP, there was only ONE pair per colorway, per style, per category (Men's, Women's, etc.), so regardless if it were a GR or not, it was basically 1 out of 1 at that time.  Keep in mind, sample sales are about 3 - 6 months in advance of the true release.

Also, from what I remember, the last sample sale I went to was when the 4s dropped.  Nike had Mars 4s, Military 4s, Tour 4s, Pennys, a good amount of 5s, etc. so dudes were on it!

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

^^^

idk if its just me and my outlet, but the samples here are usually yellowed badly, or dirty. its usually one shoe being yellowed really bad.
WHEN do you get the opportunity to see the samples?  Before, on, or after the RD?

I'm trying to get samples because they are cheaper than normal and they are easily wearable.  I have a problem with making natural wear marks on shoes, such as creases, minor scuffs, things that happen naturally when wearing shoes.  Buying samples that are already a little beat or "worn", for a cheaper price, is definitely down my alley.

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

Nike HQ still has sample sales. Sometimes huge quantities of shoes, shirts etc. Not always good stuff but everything is $10. Cash or check only.
WHEN???!!  And how often yearly?

My sample sales were the same way.  Shoes, clothes, etc.  Sometimes worthy, sometimes not so much.  Cash only!!

Originally Posted by CWK

NIKE doesn't send all samples to the Factory Stores, as there are several types of samples:  look-see, weartest, and sales.  Look-see and weartest are kept on campus.  Sales samples can be distributed through different channels.  Previously, EKINs and reps had to purchase their samples from NIKE at cost (half of MSRP).  The reps were allowed to sell their samples, for the price they paid, to approved vendors - who then resold them at their discression.  I don't know if that's still how it's done.  Factory Stores are getting a TON of samples lately.  The Round Rock, Texas store recently had more men's size 9 samples in their back hash wall than I could count.  Interestingly, most of them had the original factory labels (such as Pou Chen).  Each category (running, team sports, vision, etc...) has sample sales on campus and they are restricted to employees or visitors with credentials. 
Does this Texas store do online orders?

Originally Posted by btlgrnd

whoa.i've been edumacated,thanks fellas.
Here's so more information.  Edumacated is spelled EDUCATED.  Just messin' holmes!

For one, that's what we are here for.  For two, keep coming back!

i use to depend on the sales/marketing person.....for a short time Nike made their reps purchase their samples, which in turn meant that the sales person could do what ever they wanted with them after the fact.  But if Nike gives the rep the samples, that person has to give the samples back, which is the case when you find samples at outlets......for the most part now nike does not do any more sample sales....I never got a reason why...

I used to go to those sample sales. You talkin bout the one near the old movie theater and home depot

No they were ran by Nike. They held it at what I believe is the MidAtlantic Sales Office here in Columbia, it's still here just no sample sales. They would just clear out a couple of their rooms and fill them with shoes and clothes and they would put out new product every day and if it didn't sell it would continue to have price drops until the last day.  Everytime I went whenever I bought stuff they always asked me questions about the products to try and get feedback on certain products. 
Rather than selling the samples now they send Nike reps to malls that do large sales numbers and give them a large amount of samples to display on a table and show off to mall go'ers in an attempt to create hype and get feedback on potential releases.

Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06

Originally Posted by Zach13g

Do you know how many samples get sent to the stores?

Do certain stores get the shoes while others do not?  I ask this because I'm sure NY or LA would be more prone to receive shipments than MD or anywhere lower key.
When I worked at A Nike Factory store in S&R, we could check out invoices and see what shoes were coming in. We would always know when samples were coming in so those would be the 1st boxes we opened. AS far as I know All factory stores get samples, and the quantities always varied. For instance one time we got 24 samples of the lowtop dunks the red white and blue stars for 19.99
eek.gif
. But usually its random samples thats the stores get. I hope that helps. Also the best way to get at the samples is 2 specifically ask for a footwear or S&R team member. (cuz usually we had a bunch of samples in the back)

Back
Top Bottom