Nike Space Hippie

Space Hippie, an exploratory footwear collection constructed with Nike's own “space junk,” transforms scrap material from factory floors into a radical expression of circular design. Every detail of the four initial Space Hippie silhouettes, from material choices to methods of make to packaging, was chosen with consideration for its environmental impact.

Space Hippie 1
1580929874426.png

Space Hippie 2 (aka yeezy 350v2)
1580929906216.png

Space Hippie 3
1580929933128.png

Space Hippie 4
1580929951984.png

Last edited:
Is wotherspoon going to come crawling back to Nike
with his whole sustainability movement?
I’m really digging the first ones.

I really dig 1-3, cop those for sure. Space Hippie 4 is solid, but I personally like the first 3 better.

Glad to see Nike trying to do better with sustainability. They should have awhile ago, IMO.

I'm on the fence about the sustainability initiative when it comes to creating new models. The atsuma that recently released had me thinking about it. Sure, they're reusing materials from the production line. But then they turn that into something new. Wouldn't truer sustainability be incorporating those recyclable/recycled materials into products already on the production line? I can't see anything beneficial about introducing completely new lasts, soles, insoles, etc. Even though it's made from recycled materials it's being put into something new, not used to reduce what's already being used.

Would love to hear other thoughts on this.

I'm on the fence about the sustainability initiative when it comes to creating new models. The atsuma that recently released had me thinking about it. Sure, they're reusing materials from the production line. But then they turn that into something new. Wouldn't truer sustainability be incorporating those recyclable/recycled materials into products already on the production line? I can't see anything beneficial about introducing completely new lasts, soles, insoles, etc. Even though it's made from recycled materials it's being put into something new, not used to reduce what's already being used.

Would love to hear other thoughts on this.

I feel at least for a launch, that making new models seems to be more effective in the marketing. If this builds to be used in more shoes then it’s a win... but if it just stays these models, it’s jist a gimmick. That being said I am in for almost any of them... heard the 04 was only women’s though? Which kinda sucks because it’s the best looking model IMO.

I'm definitely in for #1. You know all the beasts will go after #3 with LeBron wearing them. Anyone have any idea on pricing?

Touching on what vinnuendo vinnuendo was saying. Why doesn't Nike have drop boxes around major cities, and a place you can mail back old shoes to be recycled/repurposed? If they are all about sustainability, why not go all in, take a page out of what Patagonia has been doing. With a company with as much money as Nike generates globally, they should be doing this, & more.

they dont need drop boxes, nike claims you can drop off any used shoes (from any brands) in any nike store

and as for just using recycled stuff for things already in production... its probably not possible without compromising the tech or performance of most athletic shoes, like react is tuned to specific density and introducing something will change its "bounciness"

id take the vista grind as an example, its clear that its just scraps glued and molded together to create the midsole, chances are they probably cant melt it rubber and remold it and be the same feeling or its going to cost more that they'll have to charge more than they already do to sell it

its always easy to be a skeptic in terms of giant businesses doing something good and it is true, at the end of the day they are trying to profit from it but at least its the step in the right direction

they could have easily designed the same shoes without using recycled items, they did not have to put an investment/money into research and development on how to use/resue these material, make new machines for it or hire new people to work on this project, etc...

Touching on what vinnuendo vinnuendo was saying. Why doesn't Nike have drop boxes around major cities, and a place you can mail back old shoes to be recycled/repurposed? If they are all about sustainability, why not go all in, take a page out of what Patagonia has been doing. With a company with as much money as Nike generates globally, they should be doing this, & more.
I have literally never stepped foot in a nike store WITHOUT an area to recycle your shoes. Open your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom