Nike tech challenge...Just do it Nike

I never liked the Tech Challenge Huarache, but it's a good look of things to come

Tech Challenge Huaraches???

I AM DISAPPOINT.

(And they're not even true to the originals, SMDH)

Dissapointed about those Huaraches.
I'm not copping sh%t until 3/4 get retroed and if it happens it better be done right.

Tech Challenge Huaraches???

I AM DISAPPOINT.

(And they're not even true to the originals, SMDH)

Yeah. I can't get all that excited between the materials they'll use and the lack of attention to detail.

This is probably OG colorways on discount status... which, these days, is about as excited as I'm able to get for anything.

Argh... are you &*#$ing kidding me!?

Getting lazy there by slapping the ATC 3 outsole there...
mad.gif

The shape is all off and WTH is with the colorways!?  

And Air Tech  Challenge Huarache!? Do your homework! 

The OG Challenge Huarache had a sharper/narrower forefoot/toe area than the ATC 3.  By using the ATC 3 outsole, it looks like they've completely changed the shape vs the OG.  It appears they've also went with a pimple-lining on the Huarache which is odd. 

I guess that's why they called it the "Air Tech Challenge Huarache"... cuz of the ATC 3 outsole.  I dunno if this is a shoddy attempt at a hybrid or a shoddy attempt at a retro. 
ohwell.gif

Reposted for comparison.

Last edited:
Didnt even notice the midsole change until comparison ^ ..way to start off the retro process Nike smh

I hate when they swap soles on kicks. The one they used doesn't go with these. But knowing Nike and Gentry, we should be glad they didn't put a 360 air unit on them. :rolleyes

The main thing I noticed was the shape, why are they so flat looking

Also noticing the the inner bootie is different.  Back in '92, I loved the lycra/neoprene liner booties in the huarache line.  But the Challenge Huarache version was different.  The outside of the bootie was the lycra/neoprene material, but the inside was a fuzzy material.  On these "retros", it looks like they have a mesh inside, completely different than OG.

mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

Nike gives no ***** whatsoever.  NONE.  There's no other reasonable explanation for why they'd use that outsole.  

Jerks.  

Complete and total FAIL. Nothing further. I hope this was just something that was "thrown together" and the exception to what is what forthcoming vs. the rule in respect to agassi retros.

The main thing I noticed was the shape, why are they so flat looking

It's all a snowball effect that starts with the materials, right?

I've pretty much given up on the possibility of the shape being true to the original on any and all Nike/JB retros, regardless of model. Part of that is that the cheaper materials don't sit (or give) the same way. ...It;s like how implants can never capture the beauty of natural breasts because they don't actually behave like natural breasts.

If you fix the materials, the shape MIGHT follow, at least on some models.

But, the midsole is c'om man status. Even if you are going to cheap out crazy on the materials itself, use the correct damn design.

As sinner P said - I'm not sure if this is a retro fail or a hybrid fail.

Nike isn't stupid overall, but I don't think they completely get the segmentation of the market for different products of theirs. I mean, I know they do tons of market research. But, unless they have some crazy marketing plan up their sleeves for this one, this is a niche shoe. The Agassi line is appreciated by serious, older, knowledgeable collectors - look at who posts in this thread and who doesn't. The people who want this shoe care about those things and have exhibited the willpower to pass, or at the very least wait for deep discounts, on products that don't live up to their standards. I don't blame Nike for pushing the envelope and seeing what they can get away with on Foams, Jordans, etc. The market is essentially TELLING YOU to do that. But, some products won't move unless you do more than the bare minimum; I don't think it takes a genius to identify some of those products.

Last edited:
Almost forgot...Gentry's at NSW now..that explains the hybrid...further on, i really dont see the point with the whole concept? whats the expectations from Nike? Are they not aware of that the main demand for the Agassi line exists among the older heads? Why piss everybody off with something as stupid as this? If they want any success at all with Andres comeback to the brand..they better start off with pleasin those who remembers him. I guess they just love to give us the middle finger..

don't care for the huarache so i don't have to suffer through a bad retro+
but it's not fair for the rest of you guys who are fans of the true original model

All I can hope is that the "tooling" /manufacturing process was already in place for that outsole so they "quickly whipped it up". In all honesty, from a technical standpoint, that sole would probably hold up better on court, but it just looks out of place for obvious reasons. I don't remember the OG huarache being exceptionally durable especially on hard courts, but for most of us, we probably won't be wearing these on court anyway. Plenty of better options for that IMO.

Best case scenario, is that we see some tech challenges, huaraches, subsequent Agassi sigs in form similar to the Trainer SC2 retros. Problem is, Nike looks at how those sat in some places, ended up heavily discounted, and even could be had at some outlets for 20-30 bucks, and probably doesn't see the whole execution of that retro as a "success". So they will continue to tinker with cheap stuff, cheap solutions, and stop gap measures in order to keep on pumping stuff out for the "masses" or average "consumers". Not the diehards who would like to see it done right. As WallyHopp has alluded to amongst many other regulars, if you priced some of these shoes @ 125/50...etc... and did them PROPERLY, some of us would still buy them and avoid all the resale hassle. Unfortunately thats not how its been. We shall see.

^ That's it.  Nike may well look at it and say "we retro'd, but no one was interested...", without realizing that it was the execution that was the issue.  I'm sure Nike is a big-enough company that has teams of people that consider these things, but time after time we see botched retros, it really makes you wonder how their thought-process works.  

And you're right Rich about the durability of the Challenge Huaraches.  The outsoles were Durathane I think, but the toe-guard was next-to-none and didn't really offer any durability for toe-draggers.  Ultimately, these will still be a NSW shoe.  Leave the performance to Nike Tennis. 

Rhino ~ But that's the problem... if they did this to the Huaraches, surely it could mean a similar fate for the rest of the Challenge Court/Agassi line... 

Last edited:
I agree that I don't want to see the rest of the Agassi retros look completely different but other than the gold pair color being screwed up on the heel, the shape of the shoe looks better than the og. The huarache and especially the Futures didn't not have a flattering shape out of the box. These are early photos but I definitely like the shape of these better. I don't like that the sock liner looks more rigid though and definitely don't like the huarache logo on the tongue being the wrong color. I am convinced I'll be able to get these on the cheap once they release so I'll be happy about that.

Last edited:
Rhino ~ But that's the problem... if they did this to the Huaraches, surely it could mean a similar fate for the rest of the Challenge Court/Agassi line... 

i understand
hard to believe the toecap was the worst thing about the 08 atcII3/4 retro - come to think about it; but lucky...nah, not quite

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom