Nike x OFF-WHITE Collection Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

I thought it was reasonably interesting, though I had to stop listening to do a work meeting. I'm a fan of Shaniqwa Jarvis's work, and I still regret not having copped her monograph.

With Virgil, I feel the love and hate are both warranted, because he is either great or garbage. He really doesn’t have any OK/Average designs.

love or hate it’s the most important Nike collaboration in modern history— perhaps all time, as it completely reset the creative energy of a brand that was losing the hype wars to the adidas celebrity machine. I’m not saying Nike was struggling to get product out the door and move sales but their creative ingenuity and resulting cultural cache was lackluster at best. In that same window (2014-2017) Adidas was absolutely thriving, effectively redefining the hype cycle. If “The Ten” doesn’t happen, the sneaker landscape would be a very different place than it is today. Virgil and the ten may not have reinvented the Nike brand but it reinvented the brand’s impact on culture.

love or hate it’s the most important Nike collaboration in modern history— perhaps all time, as it completely reset the creative energy of a brand that was losing the hype wars to the adidas celebrity machine. I’m not saying Nike was struggling to get product out the door and move sales but their creative ingenuity and resulting cultural cache was lackluster at best. In that same window (2014-2017) Adidas was absolutely thriving, effectively redefining the hype cycle. If “The Ten” doesn’t happen, the sneaker landscape would be a very different place than it is today. Virgil and the ten may not have reinvented the Nike brand but it reinvented the brand’s impact on culture.

Impact/influence is one thing, the quality of product is another. I absolutely agree with much of your point, but it strays from what I’m saying. He has some classics and he has some terrible designs as well. Only referring to the products themselves. The impact, influence, popularity, etc can’t be disputed, but some of the products can definitely be criticized.

Last edited:
Been wanting these, found a good deal locally. To me these better than blacks :nerd:
773C2DC0-39CA-49B5-93D0-DC62F1CFB554.jpeg

Nothing interesting happening in the 20s

Solid take, 2017 was Yeezy/HU NMD domination all over.

What happened with the 10 blew everyone's mind, for the bad or the good, and then sneakers became a part of runaways and all sort of celebrities . The move was clever and bold.

Now there's just too much in the market to make anything THAT relevant.

Companies are catering to everyone's likes, so that even if you don't like X maybe you'll like Y, or Z or AB ...

I think in the beginning, the 10 wasn't getting as much love as it was now or like shortly after release. The deconstructed theme wasn't loved by many.

I think in the beginning, the 10 wasn't getting as much love as it was now or like shortly after release. The deconstructed theme wasn't loved by many.
Outside of the 1s and Prestos most of The Ten were pretty cheap upon release in 2017.

Has anyone noticed that the Sail Vs are much harder to clean than the Muslins? I figured they're the same material so it'd be the same.

Back
Top Bottom