Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

did anyone else go .5 size up on the zoom fly? I have a 9 right now which is my TTS but it seems extra snug, I might need some extra room for my feet on runs.

My 9.5 also tight around width. And can only spare 1/2 inch of toe space. Def need to size up (And I also went 1/2 down on vapor 4. Hoping the pad-less heel helps).

First impression of zoomfly is the extreme lightness and quick responsiveness. If anyone wants to rock this casually, it won't be a problem. Not anymore unstable than Boost.

I've taken my Vaporfly out for a few runs over the last two weeks. Initially I liked them but wasn't blown away. For reference I had been running in the Zoom Fly, Pegasus 34, and Zoom Elite 9 prior to picking up the Vaporfly.

The last two runs have changed everything. Not sure if I was adjusting to the geometry on the sole or what but I feel like I'm hitting their sweet spot and continue to run faster than normal.

I'm also seeing the forefoot outsole appears to be more durable than the Zoom Fly.

Hoping to get a pair of the blue fox colorway the next time they become available.

I have yet to hear anything negative about the 4% other than the mid-sole creasing really bad.

its not really a negative because the midsole comes precreased to technically the shoe still looks exactly it did right out of the box :lol:

I feel like this shoe is something that people need to try on and see how they prefer it to fit. I've seen sizing advice vary too much, I've seen some say tts while other says half size down because they fit big but for me personally it feels like I could size up by half from my tts.

I say just be ready with a thin and thick pair of socks that you use to run in as that could make the difference in your fit preference. While I feel like I could size up by half, wearing thin running socks works perfectly fine for me.

I feel like this shoe is something that people need to try on and see how they prefer it to fit. I've seen sizing advice vary too much, I've seen some say tts while other says half size down because they fit big but for me personally it feels like I could size up by half from my tts.

I say just be ready with a thin and thick pair of socks that you use to run in as that could make the difference in your fit preference. While I feel like I could size up by half, wearing thin running socks works perfectly fine for me.

Most people have no idea what their "True Size" actually is. I am for example a True 8 wide, as measured by a professional (e.g. Allen Edmonds) using a Brannock device. I usually wear 8.5 or 9 for a comfortable fit in most shoes.

Nikes = almost all size 9, and some fit tight even then. Adidas Boost, ALL size 9. Size 9 is NOT my true to size. Most shoes like Chelseas and boots I wear 8.5.

In dress shoes, I can even sometimes wear a size 7.5 and stretch the leather. But an 8E or 8EEE (triple wide) fits me well in almost all leather dress shoes. If I can't get the E or EE then I can wear an 8.5 and stretch the leather.

So, people going by what size they wear in Nike sneakers has no idea what their TTS is, which is just the length and width of your feet, measured empirically.

For the 4%s is the consensus TTS or half a size down? Got TTS but idk if a half size would be better or not :/
IMO I'd say TTS. I know there have been quite a few people in here who have said to size down but I think that is only because the height of the tie box. The height makes the shoe feel big.

IMO I'd say TTS. I know there have been quite a few people in here who have said to size down but I think that is only because the height of the tie box. The height makes the shoe feel big.

For purely running purposes I think these are true to size. I had to size down as my size wasn't available when I tried to by on NDC. I have since got a pair in my true size and they fit better.

Anyone hear of another blue fox drop? A Running Warehouse rep said maybe mid August. I totally missed Eastbay the other day. Wish I was paying attention.

Eastbay has the ice blue scheduled on 8/28.
Speaking of blue fox, if you're a sz 6 or 6.5, EB has them in stock and I can ATC.

Just ran 10k in the 4% and my feet feel like I ran 5k. It's was my 3rd run with them and I'm still adjusting a little to the cushioning but overall really impressed
image.jpg
I went TTS and the fit for me is just right.

Just ran 10k in the 4% and my feet feel like I ran 5k. It's was my 3rd run with them and I'm still adjusting a little to the cushioning but overall really impressed
image.jpg
I went TTS and the fit for me is just right.

Good to hear. This is my opinion as well. I hammered a run yesterday and took them out again today and held almost the same pace with a couple mile longer run today.

I'm thinking of solely using these as my daily training shoe going forward. It's hard to go back to running in the Pegasus and such once you start running in these.

How are the soles holding up?

I'm a supinator with a forefoot strike. My shoes will generally wear out on the outer edges of the forefoot. I had significant wear in the Zoom Fly after my first run and it has continued to wear but to a lesser degree recently.

The Vaporfly seem to have slightly thicker rubber on the sole under the forefoot. The forefoot is showing very little wear which is a good sign for longevity.

good to hear, I had it pegged that the VFs are race day shoes while the ZFs are for daily running

good to hear, I had it pegged that the VFs are race day shoes while the ZFs are for daily running

That is how they are positioned. I'm a fairly light runner with an efficent forefoot strike so I can get away with running in the Vaporfly daily. They probably wouldn't work for everybody as a daily trainer especially if you heel strike.

I generally like to train in a heavier shoe and pull out my lighter faster racing shoes only for race day; however, I've had a number of injuries mainly achilles related which are better served from the cushioning and offset in the Vaporfly.

ZoomXRunner ZoomXRunner it's weird for me, because when I ran in my Pegasus 31s, 32s, and Vomeros, the heavy padding would bother my Achilles after my run and would leave me feeling soreness there if I don't keep my foot moving, but when I ran in the VaporMax, the issue was gone. Could be just the material and thinness of the heel counter, and probably some strengthening as I was running in them, too.

Last edited:
ZoomFly is suppose to be a pretty light shoes and it's still too heavy for you for daily running?

Vaporflys just took the weight to another level.

ZoomXRunner ZoomXRunner it's weird for me, because when I ran in my Pegasus 31s, 32s, and Vomeros, the heavy padding would bother my Achilles after my run and would leave me feeling soreness there if I don't keep my foot moving, but when I ran in the VaporMax, the issue was gone. Could be just the material and thinness of the heel counter, and probably some strengthening as I was running in them, too.

I also have trouble in shoes with stiff or high heel counters. I haven't tried the Vapormax but ran the Chicago Marathon in the Flyknit Streak 6 last year and they felt good due to the more pliable Flyknit in the heel. I couldn't wear the standard Streak 6 as it was bothering my heel.

ZoomFly is suppose to be a pretty light shoes and it's still too heavy for you for daily running?

Vaporflys just took the weight to another level.

No. Vaporfly aren't too heavy. I like them and have had some good training in them. My current issue is once I started to really get used to the Vaporfly it was had to go back to another shoe.

Hey guys just got my 4%'s and I am super satisfied. I know some of you in here were asking how the Fox Blue looks so I took a few pics. I used Belugas for reference (grey scale). Oh, and the mid sole was creased like this straight out of the box (I don't mind).

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 61
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 63
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 60
Don't want to do fancy photos anymore. Got mine in... tried it on... holy ****.

The carbon fiber plate is a smart move. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of having a much better responsive foam push the carbon fiber plate up towards you to push you forward faster and stronger (creating the highest energy return, especially in the heel) was definitely some great research. Don't get me wrong; I don't want to discredit the ZoomX midsole, but it's really the combination that creates one hell of a sensation.

For anyone wondering why the shoes are $250, true carbon fiber plates hike up the prices. Back in 2011, I learned about Nike's soccer cleats and the Mercurial Vapor was a line that had synthetic carbon fiber vs. true carbon fiber, and it jacked up the price dramatically.
35965678330_31f57daf9c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Fox pair is looking better and better every time I see them. Hopefully Nike hits us with some more colorways.

Back
Top Bottom