Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

I suppose in terms of the AlphaFly there’s a chance that Nike could claim that they already “released” them to the public and would be able to claim that the shoes were made available in order to satisfy the rules, though it would be very very lame if that happened

that was their initial plan with the limited release, it was to make it eligible for the olympics

i dont think the governing bodies care how many pairs are released, as long as its sold to the public at some point i guess and trying your luck at ndc makes it “fair game” to everybody

that was their initial plan with the limited release, it was to make it eligible for the olympics

i dont think the governing bodies care how many pairs are released, as long as its sold to the public at some point i guess and trying your luck at ndc makes it “fair game” to everybody

They do care. Section 5.2 states that "Any type of shoe must be reasonably available to all in the spirit of the universality of athletics." And I would guess that a super limited release doesn't adhere to "the spirit of universality." But we need to keep in mind that Nike knew what the ruling was going to be ahead of time (as far as stack height, plates, etc.). So they probably also knew that any shoe first introduced after April 30 wouldn't be allowed in competition until it was on open retail market for at least 4 months. With the olympic races previously scheduled for early August (2nd and 9th, if memory serves), that means the only way for a shoe to be legal would be for it to come out before April 30th. Which would suggest you may have (may still?) see the actual release (aka the one where you can actually easily purchase a pair) in April. I'd also put stock in what DeletedCS said on Feb 10 when he said "Don't worry guys, stock should be good. Nike want to dominate the spring marathons with the Alphafly."

And bigger picture... with how polarizing these shoes are in the running community (and so many pros and others within the community coming out and talking about how bad they are for the sport since they create an unfair advantage), I don't think it would be a good look for Nike to have super limited drop and then be like "well, technically we followed the rules. I mean... I know that they were super hard to buy and are selling for over retail on the resell market, but that's not our problem. Sorry not sorry you're not sponsored by us." It's in their best interest to have a wildly available shoe (call me a skeptic, but I think this is the primary reason they gave every U.S. trails participant a pair that wanted one. PR stunt). And from a business perspective (i.e. making as much $$$ as possible from the line), at this point I don't think there is much to gain from artificially limiting supply.

Pure speculation here: but I think the OG lack of supply was in part a marketing tactic (remember the "what's crazier? trying to run a marathon under two hours or an ad for a shoe you can't buy?" ad?), but also a business decision. They were entering into unknown territory with a $250 running shoe. Outside of soccer, I don't think they had anything that came close to that price point. So there wasn't any data on what the price elasticity of demand would be for running shoes in that price tier. Turns out it's pretty inelastic, but at the time I would think they reasoned it made sense to follow the tried and true approach of having a somewhat limited supply of the elite model and then a mass produced more affordable model. Basically a win win in that scenario -- if demand is low for the top tier shoe then you're not stuck with too much inventory and the Monza promotional stunt will likely help make the zoom fly a big success if it goes off like intended. if demand is high then it's a great marketing tactic, will whip consumers into a frenzy, and will give you more insight into what type of production run to have for the sequel. I also feel like I remember hearing something about zoomx/midsole manufacturing issues, though I could be misremembering? Or maybe it just had to do with meeting demand since I think they only had one factory that could make the midsoles at the start.

4% FK was super easy to grab (I got multiple pairs on launch date to compare sizes at different times throughout the day). The Next% was also super easy to grab save for the original member launch, but I wouldn't read too much into that as far as what Nike is thinking with respect to availability. The model had been following a typical 1 year refresh cycle but we had the member launch of the Next % to coincide with the London marathon (so 5 months early from the refresh cycle that the first two generations had established). I don't know why this happened, though I do remember it coinciding with people getting increasingly vocal about how Nike elites were racing in prototypes and that wasn't fair. So maybe that was their first attempt at making the "shoe available for all." Anyways.. this is a super long way of saying that I would guess the availability for these will be like the FK and main launch for Next%. And with the Next% having come out earlier in the year than the previous generations, it feels like Nike may be trying get away from having a release date that falls in the back half of the year for the model.

For you avid runners in here any suggestions for someone who is currently running 14 miles a week hoping to jump up to 28 ASAP. I’m a weightlifter but now that all gyms are closed I have very few options so I figured I’d improve my running.

Ideas...

Captain Flyknit lol

ZF2 X INF
Zoom Fly 2 X React Infinity - Captain.jpg
For you avid runners in here any suggestions for someone who is currently running 14 miles a week hoping to jump up to 28 ASAP. I’m a weightlifter but now that all gyms are closed I have very few options so I figured I’d improve my running.
I think the general suggestion is to build slow and not to increase more than 10 percent from week to week.

id feel it out and just add incremently, if the 14 miles is 2 miles a day, try running 5 miles one day and see how that goes then rest the next day and see how it feels the third then go from there

you just dont want to go too far and hurt yourself

there are tons of programs out there too if you want a more precise schedule and its gon be easier to find one with a goal in mind

read up on maffetone but it could be boring and the results might take longer than expected but it works for a lot it seems, its also an intriguing concept of “running slow to run fast” and i know a lot of weight lifters are into science of the body and that could be of interest to read up on

Any recommendations on running focused anime? :nerd:

Sonic The Hedgehog...

JK, I actually never thought about a running anime. I can already envision the zoom-ins to focus on a character's expression as they feel someone catching up/passing them, and the increased lighting as someone founds an ounce of strength to speed up and finish to break a record/win a race.

Just saw an episode of Prince of Stride. It’s based on parkour racing. I liked it. Will check out the one mentioned up there!

For current stuff i'm personally liking Haikyuu and Ace of Diamonds. My favorite sport anime is probably a tie between Kuroko no Basket and Baby Steps (way better than Prince of Tennis imo).

Thanks for the recs, y'all! I haven't seen any other anime other than DBZ until more recently. I started MHA last week. I really enjoy it, but I want more running (and sports) related ones.

I’m three eps in, and I like it a lot! It’s dope that the team is training for Hakone Ekiden!

What’s your favorite sports anime?

Forgot to post this here...

Flyknit AM90 X VF (by govrn) via IG
4F4B8E85-02D8-41B6-B3E6-3C88C1B71D4F.jpeg

kuroko no basket. Legit changed my opinion of the sports genre. Prior to watching it I thought the genre just wasn't for me because I had never been able to make it through and entire series. But this one totally won me over.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiriu recommendation! I $*(!#^% LOVED IT! It's really inspirational. It really makes me want to RUN! I just downloaded the soundtrack on Spotify. Looking forward to run to with it on my next run! I'll admit there were several moments that got me emotional. :blush::lol:

If ever NBY has the right silhouette and right colors, I will definitely design and order pairs inspired by the colorways some of the KUTFC members wore during the anime.
Kansei Group Training.png

Shoe Pile 2.png

Shoe Pile.png

Sonic The Hedgehog...

JK, I actually never thought about a running anime. I can already envision the zoom-ins to focus on a character's expression as they feel someone catching up/passing them, and the increased lighting as someone founds an ounce of strength to speed up and finish to break a record/win a race.

🎯 😂
Fujioka Burst.png

Kakeru Zone Qualifier.png

Back to topic LOL
New ZF3 cw that I haven't seen before via ebay
IMG_2612.jpg

Last edited:
Check this link from a run speciality shop in Toronto.

They confirm there will be a new CW for the Next % on 4/9. I’m assuming we get a notification this week that they’ll be releasing on NDC.

This also shows a June release for the Alphafly.

Check this link from a run speciality shop in Toronto.

They confirm there will be a new CW for the Next % on 4/9. I’m assuming we get a notification this week that they’ll be releasing on NDC.

This also shows a June release for the Alphafly.

I believe it's the Green/Black cw similar to the Alphafly that is being released. And June is the latest release date being thrown around.

received_228720301669112.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom