Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Longtime lurker on these forums. This finally got me to make an account in order to reply.

This shoe is completely out of the blue for me but validates that the shoe we saw a few months again labeled "Pegasus Pro" was actually the new Vaporfly. It now looks like that Vaporfly and Zoom Fly series are going back to their rootsin form and shape, after they diverged so much from the ZF3/Next%. Really interesting. Compare the two shoe photos and you'll see, the shoe labeled as the Peg Pro has a lighter upper (actually look like the same upper, with a few tweaks, from the Next%2) and slightly different midsole with the same geometry. Just like the old ZF/VF relationship in the 4% days.

The ZF5 above has a different upper and midsole than the "Peg pro" we saw earlier. The design language between this shoe, the new Vaporfly and the Alphafly 2 are all similar too and the lineup actually make sense now.

It is also very interesting that ZoomX foam (looks the same as what is in the Alpahfly Nature) is now in the ZF and the new Vaprofly isn't pure ZoomX anymore either (look at the midsole on those photos and you'll see a carrier foam and more of the ZoomX).

The Next% is a study in minimalism and it is STILL the class of marathon racing shoes 4+ years later (counting the Vaporfly Elite days)... Nike HAD to update it I just hope this update has the same magic.

”The shoe we saw a few months again labeled "Pegasus Pro" was actually the new Vaporfly.”

What are you talking about? Where did you get this info? The leaked ”Pegasus Pro” can’t be Vaporfly Next% 3. Probably just some early version of Zoom Fly 5.

I'm basing this on observation and a few rumors I'm hearing out there.

Look at the comp below. I aligned the 6 shoes to see the relationship and pulled a quote, from the ZF5 image on the last page, that put this idea in my head.

The quote around "Similar to previous VF/ZF (FK)... but with new shape" is what got me thinking that what was the dubbed "the Peg Pro" is the VF3. Look at the midsole differences as well as the upper differences, now go back and look at the relationship between the VF4%/ZF (thought the FK versions of both had the same midsole). See the subtle differences? See the relationship?

The next part is around the new design language for the Zoom serious in 2022... DO you also see the relationship between the 4 shoes on the ends?

T TFXCshoes did a video on this, which is where the images come from... but I disagree with some of his thinking due to the design similarities/differences and the above quote.

Lastly, a bit tangentially... We have seen the AF2 & SF on elite/pro's feet for a while now. However we have not seen anything around the VF3. T TFXCshoes thinks that the VF is discontinued for 2022, but I've also not heard anything about this either.

The VF Next% is the class of the field for racing and has yet to be surpassed, even if Adidas and Asics are getting closer to it. It is arguably the most successful shoe Nike has made in running, which is staying something.

Logically one could say that with the SF launching next year you have a 5k-half marathon racing shoe for elites and they the AF3 is the half-full marathon racer. That makes sense in some ways.

But the VF is Nike's flagship racer. The most successful shoe they have ever made (arguably)... I can't see them letting the line skip a season.

Then back to the quote I pulled out...they mentioned the VF/ZF relationship. If the ZF5, due to the ZoomX foam, was meant to be the "replacement" then why mention the VF? Plus, that ZF5 is going to be heavy. Maybe not as heavy as the ZF3/4... but not VF Next% light. That matters for elites.

But...I will admit. The only sources I've heard on any of this are whispers from those I know close to Nike and then listening closely to the shoe nerds on Instagram and Youtube and thinking through the bits of info out there.

We will get this all sorted out in the next few months as official VF images/press releases usually come out in Jan-Mar sometime.
nike_comp.png

I'm basing this on observation and a few rumors I'm hearing out there.

Look at the comp below. I aligned the 6 shoes to see the relationship and pulled a quote, from the ZF5 image on the last page, that put this idea in my head.

The quote around "Similar to previous VF/ZF (FK)... but with new shape" is what got me thinking that what was the dubbed "the Peg Pro" is the VF3. Look at the midsole differences as well as the upper differences, now go back and look at the relationship between the VF4%/ZF (thought the FK versions of both had the same midsole). See the subtle differences? See the relationship?

The next part is around the new design language for the Zoom serious in 2022... DO you also see the relationship between the 4 shoes on the ends?

T TFXCshoes did a video on this, which is where the images come from... but I disagree with some of his thinking due to the design similarities/differences and the above quote.

Lastly, a bit tangentially... We have seen the AF2 & SF on elite/pro's feet for a while now. However we have not seen anything around the VF3. T TFXCshoes thinks that the VF is discontinued for 2022, but I've also not heard anything about this either.

The VF Next% is the class of the field for racing and has yet to be surpassed, even if Adidas and Asics are getting closer to it. It is arguably the most successful shoe Nike has made in running, which is staying something.

Logically one could say that with the SF launching next year you have a 5k-half marathon racing shoe for elites and they the AF3 is the half-full marathon racer. That makes sense in some ways.

But the VF is Nike's flagship racer. The most successful shoe they have ever made (arguably)... I can't see them letting the line skip a season.

Then back to the quote I pulled out...they mentioned the VF/ZF relationship. If the ZF5, due to the ZoomX foam, was meant to be the "replacement" then why mention the VF? Plus, that ZF5 is going to be heavy. Maybe not as heavy as the ZF3/4... but not VF Next% light. That matters for elites.

But...I will admit. The only sources I've heard on any of this are whispers from those I know close to Nike and then listening closely to the shoe nerds on Instagram and Youtube and thinking through the bits of info out there.

We will get this all sorted out in the next few months as official VF images/press releases usually come out in Jan-Mar sometime.
nike_comp.png
Thanks for putting all this together and giving me a shoutout! It’s great to hear your opinions.

I personally don’t think Nike would discontinue the VF as it wouldn’t make sense to just have the AF 2 and StreakFly, however I could definitely see a redesign with a language similar to the Zoom Fly 5 and their 2022 lineup .

I think it would look more like a stripped down Zoom Fly 5 with 100% ZoomX instead of just a ZoomX core (which is what I assume is the pre-production Zoom Fly 5 a.k.a “Peg Pro” appears to have).

It’s definitely interesting to see where Nike will go!

Thanks for putting all this together and giving me a shoutout! It’s great to hear your opinions.

I personally don’t think Nike would discontinue the VF as it wouldn’t make sense to just have the AF 2 and StreakFly, however I could definitely see a redesign with a language similar to the Zoom Fly 5 and their 2022 lineup .

I think it would look more like a stripped down Zoom Fly 5 with 100% ZoomX instead of just a ZoomX core (which is what I assume is the pre-production Zoom Fly 5 a.k.a “Peg Pro” appears to have).

See, that "Peg Pro" shoe does look like a stripped down version of the ZF5, given the VF/ZF reference. However, the midsole on the "Peg Pro" does look a little over complicated for a VF and the angle of the plate seems off (via the foam sandwich). So ya, could be a pre-production sample too...

I also can't see Nike moving the VF away from anything other than full ZoomX foam, unless they develop something better. the AF2 looks to be all ZoomX...

Personally, I'd love the VF Next%2 to stick around another year, it's a perfect racing shoe. However, Nike is big on their "design language" changes and the VF is a flagship... seems odd it wouldn't be brought into the fold After all the Next%2 was a minor update (even for Nike's every other year ways), and the midsole has already done the 2 years (more under the Elite) that Nike typically does.

So we shall see.

True! The ”Peg 39 Pro” looks super bulky (probably 9-10 oz) so I don’t think it’s Next% 3. For sure Nike wants Next% 3 to be lighter than Alphafly 2 and even Metaspeed 2. Maybe similar upper to Streakfly (minimal) and visible carbon plate? Nike is known for light racing shoes and heavy trainers.

My only issue was the upper made them impossible to run in during humid summer days. No ankle issues here either. Maybe u need to work on your mobility

First and only time I put the invisibles on, they rubbed my ankles really bad. The shoe collar is just too high for me. Not a big deal though, they went back to Nike, and I just use a different Nike product. Everybody has different feet…. Hence, Nike making a lot of different products.

First and only time I put the invisibles on, they rubbed my ankles really bad. The shoe collar is just too high for me. Not a big deal though, they went back to Nike, and I just use a different Nike product. Everybody has different feet…. Hence, Nike making a lot of different products.
The weird thing is that every once in a while the collar on the lateral side of my left foot would rub. But it's only about 10% of the time, only on the one side, and doesn't seem to be affected by what socks I'm wearing. :emoji_shrug:

I wouldn't have touched the invincibles at retail but got them at discount. Ended up getting like 190 miles on them before the zoomx came through the rubber on the outsole where I heel strike. I have like 5 pairs of the novablast 1 since it's my go to daily trainer.

Back
Top Bottom