Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Just in from NDC
16456776703066960966102067711545.jpg

Some Background
I have about 90kms on the Streakfly and about 35km on the Takumi Sen. I average 70-110kms weekly and am a sub 3 hour marathoner. I race in Next%2s nearly exclusively and do almost all of my fast workouts in them. I have 2 pairs of Alphaflys but have yet to get them to work for me. My current rotation has been Peg38/Invincible/Next%2, with a little Zoom Fly 4 and Alphafly action for fartleks.

I like lower drop more minimal shoes, especially for training and am a Nike guy. However, the Adidas Boston 9 remains one of my favorite shoes ever made and I loved the OG version of the Adidas SL20, those were my last Adidas shoe experiences. I got the Takumi Sen as I've been wanting a lower stack shoe, akin to the Boston 9 in feel. No other Adidas shoe in their current line up appeals to me in anyway, even the Adios 6.

Lastly, I may one of the few people to didn't think much of the Peg Turbo, it was fine but nothing special (to my feet).

Comparison
Out of the box and on the foot around the house: The Takumi Sen feels like a brick and the Streakfly feels like it is a pair of flip-flops picked up from the local gas station for $2.99. I was shocked how over designed the Takumi Sen is (Worst than the Tempo Next%) and also shocked how minimal the Streakfly actually is (and I loved the Atreyu Base Model).

The Takumi Sen is NOT a good proxy for the Boston 9, they run nothing alike... other than both are extremely narrow and huge the foot nicely. Ive seen all the reviews the Takumi Sen and don't understand them. To my foot it is dead, sure it is fast, but fast like the Zoom Fly 3/4... just too stiff and dead in feel, but the stiff platform compensates for it. I actually found that worked in the Adidas SL20 very well, a nice stable platform let me focus on my stride and not the shoe. That doesn't happen in the Takumi Sen at all... to the point I doubt I will be running in it again and it is likely going to a clothing drop.

But then... the Streakfly. As I said I loved the Atreyu Base Model and put alot of kms into them in 2019, lightweight and minimal was amazing. In fact I paired the Atreyu with the Boston 9 and a Peg 37 as my training rotation back then. Anyway... The Streakfly is the shoe I've bene waiting for Nike to make forever... low stack, low drop, just foam in the forefoot (i.e. no airbags, plates, form laminates) in a lightweight package. Where the Peg Turbo just felt uninspiring to me, the Streakfly feels alive. The pure Zoom X foam makes the difference. I've read others say the Streakfly feels like half a Invincible... that is totally accurate. The shank gets me up on my forefoot with no drama, the soft durometer of the ZoomX gives me the bounce I expect in the low stack and the weight disappears. When running in them they still feel like gas station flip-flops... in that they disappear on your feet and you don't think about them at all, the exact opposite of the Takumi Sen. Yet my HR, cadence and power numbers are considerably lower per effort than in Peg 38s or Invincibles, closer to Next%s.

TL:DR - I'm likely going to donate my Takumi Sen in a clothing drop and the Steakflys will become my main training shoe, assuming I can get 250-300kms out of a pair. I'll still race in Next%s.

FSR at The Loop

tempting to grab the fast pack cw but after the initial "hype" from a few weeks ago, im gonna end up passing and just wait till the streakfly gets flooded and hits a discount (good to see the fast pack be more widely available). just don't see any room for it anywhere in my rotation right now and just feel like i'll end up using on of the more higher stack super shoes for my tempos/workouts especially after seeing what lots have been saying about it

I picked up a pair right at launch time this morning. Looks like I didn't need to be as quick to the trigger with these but I'm looking forward to trying them out as a race/pace shoe when the weather gets nice. I liked the simple prototype color scheme better — and I'm still bummed mine arrived with a fundamental flaw that necessitated a return — but this white/gradient pair looks sharp enough and I'm hoping the QC is on point.

My Sizes (thumbs width works for me)
Alphafly 9.5, VF 10, N% 10, N%2 10, VFN 10

Attachments

• 20220225_131942.jpg
    20220225_131942.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 20220225_131626.jpg
    20220225_131626.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220225_131449.jpg
    20220225_131449.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220225_132103.jpg
    20220225_132103.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220225_131713.jpg
    20220225_131713.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I opt for the same exact sizing as you for the VF line.

AF: TTS
VFN2 Regular: +1/2
VFN2 Flyknit NBY: TTS
VFN: +1/2
VF2 Flyknit: +1/2
VF OG: +1/2

Back
Top Bottom