Nike's Different Cushioning systems?

I'm curious as to what is EVA, Phylon, DHIP,Lunar foam all the other foam based, non-air or zoom cushioning looks like, and why their not as great comparedto zoom air or regular air in basketball shoes. Basically my question is what makes zoom air/ regular air so great?

(Personally I love zoom air, but I never really understood why shoes like the Flight club or Phenoms needed zoom air in the forefoot to get an A inPerformance)

zoom air is a low profile air unit that is more responsive than max air or nike air. zoom air is quickly becoming the most commonly used in nike shoes.

IIRC, DHIP is a derivative of Phylon, but not entirely sure what differentiates it from Phylon.

Lunar Foam isn't much to look at to be honest, just looks a piece of well... foam.

Zoom Air units contain an elastic sheet, so they return to shape more quickly than other air units.

Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck

. zoom air is quickly becoming the most commonly used in nike shoes.

Most commonly used in their 'premium' shoes. If anything they seem hell bent on turning out 'mid-range' hoops shoes
with no zoom in the forefoot at all.. just phylon.

zoom air is a low profile air unit that is more responsive than max air or nike air. zoom air is quickly becoming the most commonly used in nike shoes.

it is?
laugh.gif

I wish.

they seem to ignore it with a few models/genres out there. and pimp out some other "crap" at cheaper price points. It's not all about creating aperfect performance shoe. they have to sell new technology too.
ohwell.gif

then again, its not even about the price points as some cheaper models have better air systems than higher priced models. so i cant really say its a priceissue.

seems like its more about how much profit they can squeeze out of each shoe. Kobe v for instance probably costs less to make than some sub 100 dollar shoes butwe're so caught up in Nike Basketball doing something diff for the first time in a good while that we'll pay up.

You are correct that it is a low profile, more responsive air system but it is not becoming the most commonly used. There is not a whole selection of shoeswith zoom air in it. Like someone else said there are only select style/ models out there.

Originally Posted by swingshot

Zoom Air units contain an elastic sheet, so they return to shape more quickly than other air units.
Elastic sheet? Don't know what you mean by that, but inside the unit there is a piece of fabric on the top and bottom with strands connectingthe pieces together.

i personally like the max air units like in Air Max 2009 or n e other Air Max shoe cuz they are DUMB comfortable but the zoom air is pretty good too i thinkthe lunar foam is jus a super soft +#@ peice of foam so that is just gonna look like PU or a regular foam system.

Back
Top Bottom