Nike's Phil Knight has branded Oregon into national power [Sports Illustrated article]

Pretty interesting read... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...berg/01/06/oregon.knight/index.html?eref=sihp
In other words: it's Phil Knight's money hose, and Oregon has to let him control the spigot. The Ducks are his franchise -- the fact that they play college sports, instead of pro sports, is a mere technicality. By the time Knight is done with this football facility, he will have spent more than $300 million transforming Oregon athletics. Thanks to Knight, the quality of facilities for the football team dwarf what almost everybody else on campus can use. Is it worth it? Some say no. Others say: Turn on the BCS championship game Jan. 10, and there is your answer.

Pretty interesting read... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...berg/01/06/oregon.knight/index.html?eref=sihp
In other words: it's Phil Knight's money hose, and Oregon has to let him control the spigot. The Ducks are his franchise -- the fact that they play college sports, instead of pro sports, is a mere technicality. By the time Knight is done with this football facility, he will have spent more than $300 million transforming Oregon athletics. Thanks to Knight, the quality of facilities for the football team dwarf what almost everybody else on campus can use. Is it worth it? Some say no. Others say: Turn on the BCS championship game Jan. 10, and there is your answer.

You should also put this in the Sports section, a lot of guys would read it in there.

You should also put this in the Sports section, a lot of guys would read it in there.

good read.
but if/when they say no to one of phils ideas....there goes oregons football program

good read.
but if/when they say no to one of phils ideas....there goes oregons football program

good read.

good read.

Hopefully the new basketball arena can get that program turned around.  I'm surprised more wealthy alumni of various schools don't try to do what Phil has done with Oregon regarding the improvment of facilities.  I know there are people who do it, but not nearly to the extent that Phil does.

Hopefully the new basketball arena can get that program turned around.  I'm surprised more wealthy alumni of various schools don't try to do what Phil has done with Oregon regarding the improvment of facilities.  I know there are people who do it, but not nearly to the extent that Phil does.

Back
Top Bottom