Niketalk DJs

Any DJs out there? I am interested in getting into it. Any advice? What are some good cheap programs to use? Thanks. No haters please.

Reasons why you should start DJing
-You love music (all kinds)
-You love rockin' the crowd
-You like good music played loud

Reasons why you shouldn't start DJing
-To get paid (it's great to get paid, but when you're more worried about the money, forget it)
-To get laid
-For e-cred

Tips for beginners:

1. Know your music.
-if you don't know what music you have or are going to start spinning with, don't even bother learning.

2. Start with vinyl
-these days, anyone w/ money can buy a laptop, the serato program, and rip a buncha music...so what, it don't make you a DJ.

3. Practice
-don't go out there not knowing how to blend two songs together, just so you can look cool. Nobody will care how cool you look when you train wreck twosongs that you can mix together.

Originally Posted by Rhino So

1200's and serato

not cheap but it's a must...

If you're really serious get a good mixer because one you buy for 60 bucks will break within months. Technics are a must, you can get them used for a goodprice. Like Selecta said do it for the love of music not for money and all that other bs, we don't need another wack DJ in this world.

1200's and serato

I love how Serato is a must now. Back only about 5 years ago, Serato was a luxury item. But yeah, DJing has change so much from back in the days. Yes...do getinto it because you like music cause most of the people that I know that started to get into as a hobby about 10 years ago (me included) have all given it upand sold their equipment for less then half of what they paid for. It's fun for a while but it definitely doesn't stay with you forever.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

1200's and serato

I love how Serato is a must now. Back only about 5 years ago, Serato was a luxury item. But yeah, DJing has change so much from back in the days. Yes...do get into it because you like music cause most of the people that I know that started to get into as a hobby about 10 years ago (me included) have all given it up and sold their equipment for less then half of what they paid for. It's fun for a while but it definitely doesn't stay with you forever.
it's not really a must, but why wouldnt anyone? saves storage. and not all singles today come out on vinyl. it's just an incredibly usefultool with loops and cue points. although for scratching it feels much better to use actual records.

Originally Posted by SelectaClutchStar

-To get paid (it's great to get paid, but when you're more worried about the money, forget it)
-To get laid
-For e-cred

Tips for beginners:

1. Know your music.
-if you don't know what music you have or are going to start spinning with, don't even bother learning.

2. Start with vinyl
-these days, anyone w/ money can buy a laptop, the serato program, and rip a buncha music...so what, it don't make you a DJ.

3. Practice
-don't go out there not knowing how to blend two songs together, just so you can look cool. Nobody will care how cool you look when you train wreck two songs that you can mix together.
My sentiments exactly

Originally Posted by SelectaClutchStar

-To get laid
-For e-cred

Tips for beginners:

1. Know your music.

2. Start with vinyl

3. Practice
-don't go out there not knowing how to blend two songs together, just so you can look cool. Nobody will care how cool you look when you train wreck two songs that you can mix together.

Let em know, Clutch!

and thanks for not rippin on Serato, I know you roll sans-laptop
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NolanDW

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Rhino So wrote:

1200's and serato

I love how Serato is a must now. Back only about 5 years ago, Serato was a luxury item. But yeah, DJing has change so much from back in the days. Yes...do get
into it because you like music cause most of the people that I know that started to get into as a hobby about 10 years ago (me included) have all given it up
and sold their equipment for less then half of what they paid for. It's fun for a while but it definitely doesn't stay with you forever.
it's not really a must, but why wouldnt anyone? saves storage. and not all singles today come out on vinyl. it's just an incredibly useful tool with loops and cue points. although for scratching it feels much better to use actual records.

True even scratch heads are using serato now. I am sure it has really killed the record industry in some sort of way though. Almost every DJ I've seen asof late never uses records no more aside from the ones that you use for serato.

2 Technics MKIII are great turntables
Rane TTM-56 mixer or Vestax Pro 05
Shure M44-7 needles
Get an amp or buy studio monitors for speakers.. I bout a pair for 300. Mad bass and they are small in size..
Any headphones will do for now.

Vinyl. Vinyl Vinyl Vinyl. Who cares if you have MP3 ready to go.. You need to get the feel of the vinyl. I know you can get a feel with serato, but its not thesame. Grab 2 of the same records and try to beat mach them. That makes perfect practice.

I have a cousin that is 17, he's been saying he wants to be a DJ since he was 13 but his parents weren't able to afford the whole setup at once. I knowhim well and I don't think he's serious about it. He has Technics and speakers, here it is X-mas time and instead of asking for a mixer or serato toput on his notebook he's asking for a PS3 and DJ hero. When you ask him though he swears he wants to be a DJ, should I bite the bullet and get him the restof what he needs for his setup? I'd be pissed if this stuff goes to waste.

I secertly want to learn myself but I'm not willing to spend the cash on myself.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

I have a cousin that is 17, he's been saying he wants to be a DJ since he was 13 but his parents weren't able to afford the whole setup at once. I know him well and I don't think he's serious about it. He has Technics and speakers, here it is X-mas time and instead of asking for a mixer or serato to put on his notebook he's asking for a PS3 and DJ hero. When you ask him though he swears he wants to be a DJ, should I bite the bullet and get him the rest of what he needs for his setup? I'd be pissed if this stuff goes to waste.

I secertly want to learn myself but I'm not willing to spend the cash on myself.

If he really wanted to DJ he would have gotten the mixer himself. He's 17, don't baby him.
Also, he's asking for DJ hero... c'mon son.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

I have a cousin that is 17, he's been saying he wants to be a DJ since he was 13 but his parents weren't able to afford the whole setup at once. I know him well and I don't think he's serious about it. He has Technics and speakers, here it is X-mas time and instead of asking for a mixer or serato to put on his notebook he's asking for a PS3 and DJ hero. When you ask him though he swears he wants to be a DJ, should I bite the bullet and get him the rest of what he needs for his setup? I'd be pissed if this stuff goes to waste.

Dont do it bro. You'll regret it. If he wanted the mixer/serato he would have asked for it. From the sounds of it, he has it easy right now.Dont make it a lot easier for him. But do support him. A lot of djs dont have the support they need. If he sucks tell him "hey work on this andthat". Trust me.

Please buy the equipment if you have the money.

Don't be lazy like me and get stuck using your computer. I don't even call myself a DJ, just a laptop sound provider.

But I just use Virtual DJ on my computer, it limits me though because people always choose a person with traditional equipment. Even if they aren't good.

damn i miss having my xponent. was no where near professional and i only used it at home for myself but damn it was fun to mix and make my own remixes. i gotrid of it after my hard drive crashed (lost all my music). very tough lesson learned.

how much can i buy a pre-loaded hard drive with instrumentals and all the hot songs from the last 15+ years? i used to see them on all the time on craigslist.

Originally Posted by socluis90

damn i miss having my xponent. was no where near professional and i only used it at home for myself but damn it was fun to mix and make my own remixes. i got rid of it after my hard drive crashed (lost all my music). very tough lesson learned.

how much can i buy a pre-loaded hard drive with instrumentals and all the hot songs from the last 15+ years? i used to see them on all the time on craigslist.
You can still buy them. Becareful on craigslist though. I heard they will send you a virus on a disc.

Yes good advice up there. IF you have the money BUY IT.. Besides technics and Rane or Vestax mixers have a good resell value.

It seems like a nice amount of you guys on here are traditionalists that believe in the merits of Vinyl. But honestly, is it worth me buying turntables insteadof a MIDI Controller or something of that sort?

I have absolutely no Vinyl and about 200 GBs of music on my external.

Wouldn't call myself a "pro dj" yet( so my opinion on the matter might be poop)... but if you're just getting into it, I wouldn't advisegetting some of the setups some of these peoples are suggesting you get.
1200's and a TTM56 and serato is going to cost a damn lot, even if you craigslist that stuff. Depending on what kind of dj you'd like to be, you maynot even benefit from that kind of setup.
If you're more into mixing through use of like effects and stuff, a midi controller would work pretty well for you, check out videos of the VCI-100 eangolden edition.
If you would like to do more scratching/turntablist techniques, then you'll want to invest in a set of real turntables.

For beginning though, I don't know, people might not agree with me on this, but just download one of those dj programs and try and learn the basics ofmixing ie. beatmatching, transitioning into a song through fading etc. If you want some tactillity (not even sure if this is a word lol), get a midi controller(I suggest the vci100, that's what I started with). I think it's at this first stage where people decide whether or not they want to continue, so get ataste first.

And remember, don't start selling yourself till you're good, hate those guys =@!

Back
Top Bottom