Niketalk "Non-Fiction Book Club"

As a fan of 19th century thought I find it difficult to speak to people about the books I have read. With this thought in mind, and the knowledge that there are atleast a couple of like minded individuals here on Niketalk, I would like to start the non-fiction book club. Here layed out a few ground rules.

No book shall be over 200 pages, as anything longer people may fall behind in their readings.

We shall discuss a new book every two weeks.

The new book shall be announced a week prior to the beginning of the discussion, allowing one week to obtain the book, followed by two weeks for readings and discussions

Twitter/Niketalk will be the main forum

Members will suggest books in order of there joining the group.

There are no non-fiction books which are off limits, there is no censorship (as a sidenote, I really hope that people from different regions will join as to get different viewpoints on different subjects.

Me being the first, and as it stands only, member I choose

"Charles Buadelaires Artificial Paradises"

I don't know why but your grammar literally put a grimace on my face
sick.gif
laugh.gif

I'm in though (I'm not usually a grammar nazi I swear).
Hopefully other people are game because I know exactly what book I'd choose as second member
devil.gif

Damn, I'm halfway through two different books now 
frown.gif
.. W/e, I won't join in but I'll add a few of whatever you guys are reading to my list 
pimp.gif

Sounds like an interesting read.

In his 1843 account ‘Le Hachich’, Gautier beautifully captures the sensations: ‘My body seemed to dissolve until it became completely transparent… My eyelashes lengthened immeasurably and wrapped, like gold threads, around a small ivory spindle which then began to spin with astonishing speed. Shimmering cascades of multi-coloured gemstones, arabesques and flowers presented themselves in endless succession, in effects which I can only compare to those of a kaleidoscope…

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Sounds like an interesting read.

In his 1843 account ‘Le Hachich’, Gautier beautifully captures the sensations: ‘My body seemed to dissolve until it became completely transparent… My eyelashes lengthened immeasurably and wrapped, like gold threads, around a small ivory spindle which then began to spin with astonishing speed. Shimmering cascades of multi-coloured gemstones, arabesques and flowers presented themselves in endless succession, in effects which I can only compare to those of a kaleidoscope…

Yeah it's Baudelaire's description of his hashish experience. From what I understand he was a fairly famous poet of his time, and a follower of Edger Allen Poe. I'm about 20 pages in, it a little hard to follow until I got use to his writing style. Just as a fair warning, this book is essentially responsible for our attitudes toward marijuana and drugs in general. The ideas in Artificial Paradise were prominent in European circles, which eventually got picked up by Edgar Hoover. The "raving mad" pot head image comes from Baudelaire's writings. In reading Artificial Paradise I'm seeing a lot of the ideals and stereotypes that are prevalent today.

To those few who want to join, let me know when you get the book and when we should start the discussion.

excellent thread topic (although the 200 page limit is a little sophomoric)

im a HUGE fan of non-fiction literature

particularly biographies. any recommendations?

Yea, chose two-hundred pages because of the nature of books we would be reading, and the likelyhood that people would finish them. For those that say that is a small amount of pages for books, I'm thinking of very heavy books. From Ceaser Beccerias On Crime and Punishment to Plato's Georgias. These are very very heavy books, and those types of books are the level that I would like to keep it at.

So you are worried that people will fall behind on their reading, yet you want to choose "very very heavy books"? That makes perfect sense.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

So you are worried that people will fall behind on their reading, yet you want to choose "very very heavy books"? That makes perfect sense.

I want to encourage discussions. I'm worried that people won't actually read 300+ page books, as with my experience most books over 200 pages become dry at various points.

It's kind of crazy that people are commenting on the book length, and haven't commented on the book....but such is NT
laugh.gif

Sent out a few PM's awaiting some replies, hopefully we can get atleast one or two books in, Would like some new readings...I encourage all to join...DCAllamerican?

Back
Top Bottom