Niketalk, which trends will leave a lasting historical impact of the "American" years from now?

It can be all realms: film, television, radio, food, beer, wine, technology, celebrities, fashion, etc.

I'm trying to think of a top 5 with justification and so far I have Facebook, the iPod, and the overglorification of indie music (resulting in gangster dudes turning into hippies)

I think social networking in general. Facebook changed the way people keep in touch. Twitter has changed the way people get news. Athletes and entertainers are breaking their own news now via twitter. No longer a need for media outlets.

trends:

-semantic web
-video-based information consumption (a la Qwiki)
-rise of chinese consumer/decline of chinese export-oriented economy (will lead to US Government Bond bubble burst)
-return to nihilistic art (think WW2-esque... black comedy in films for example)
-internet-oriented television (google tv... lots of app-based television consumption, netflix for example)
-touchscreens replacing most surfaces aka walls/tables... microsoft surface good example
-professional social media a la linkedin (going public in 2011)
-solar-based climate change (wonder about all the recent floods/droughts/earthquakes? all linked to solar cycles)
-fMRI-based neuroscience... applications as diverse as law: see these: headset that reads brain waves, hallucinations' revelations about the mind, the neurons that helped shaped civilization

fads:

-dubstep
-ipod (totally obsolete at this point)
-excess
-global warming
-text-based information consumption

As far as technology is concerned, telecommunications.

Our use in cell phones have changed beyond just picking up calls and sending message, leading to the transition to smart phones.  You can now access social networks not just through the web, but through iPhones, Blackberries, and Droids.  Not to mention that the use of landlines in homes have been declining in the last few years.

It's actually scary to see just how much technology has advanced these past few years.

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

It's actually scary to see just how much technology has advanced these past few years.

I was thinking the exact opposite. We were suppose to be in flying cars already. Plus we need more advances in fields that mater like medical and agricultural, not social networking and 3Dtvs

Back
Top Bottom