Nikon d3000 vs. Canon T3i

Looking at buying my first DSLR camera and I havent been able to decide between the two brands. Which brand is usally consided the best ? Resell value ? I'm looking at a entry level DLSR btw

I bought a D3100 a few years ago as my first DSLR. I like it, granted don't know anything about cameras and really haven't taken the time to do anything other that point and shoot.
But I really like the camera.

Most ppl here seem to lean towards Canon though

Bought my  T3i 3 months ago. It's my first nice camera. Best decision i have ever made, absolutely love everything about it.

I have heard that if you want better video, to get the T3i.

And if its just for pictures, the Nikon.

i back the t3i 100% thought. Excellent product

I been planning on getting a DSLR, but really would have a hard time spending so much on a camera. Knowing I am not good enough to atleast make some money off of it.

With that said, I only looked at Nikon's maybe because videos do not interest me. I was looking at the D3100, but the D3200 released recently, and is a great starter camera. My friend has a T3i and the pictures are amazing.

I know nothing about the NIkon but I have the T3i and it's easily the best electronic product I have purchased in a long time. I love that thing.

It's very user friendly and the canon lenses are awesome.

I'll chime in from the D3000 point of view. I popped on some quick lenses on that camera and was really dissapointed. Seemed to focus really slow and picture quality was just not there. Also another tid bit that I hated was the screen. I believe it wasn't a higher res screen, so it was actually kind of hard to tell if you images came out clear.

Imo and the camera I always say to get when starting in photography, get a Canon T3i and this is coming from a Nikon shooter. Also if you have a few dollars more and can afford it, get the Nikon D7000. That is the only so called entry level camera I recommend that is a Nikon.

i have the same dillema. my buddy has the nikon d5000 and i really like. but im not super into photography as he is

i dont take hundreds of pictures, but itd be nice to have good camera for when i do take them. im leaning towards the t3i but ive seen some good deals on nikons

hoping you guys could help make the decision easier

^^^It's hard to base decisions with cameras on budget. Most of the times, it is almost safer to get the expensive ones just cause they have more longevity then the cheaper ones. Plus with beginner DSLRs, there is always tons of features missing from the better ones and you will always be looking to upgrade in the future. It's definitely a spendy hobby, so I always advise to watch out what you are getting into. Remember, just cause you have a DSLR camera, doesn't mean you will achieve half of the pics in there. Most of that has to do with lenses and they can cost way more then the camera even.

But overall, it all depends on the user and what they do with their cameras. If you are just looking to take some pics here and there, then a D5000 might just do the trick. Don't expect to take any decent night shots nor action ones, but if you really don't care for that, then that camera could be a good choice for you. Also if you don't even take a lot of pics, why invest in such a costly camera. I know so many people that try and get into this and their cameras just end up being for sale on Craigslist. Sometimes a point and shoot would even be a better choice.

I was in this dilemma also, I also included the Nikon D5100... but at the end, I chose the Canon T3I because I do video shooting then picture taking.

And between the videos i've watched and comparisons between the cameras in person... you can truly see the difference in HD recording.

EDIT:

I have heard that if you want better video, to get the T3i.
And if its just for pictures, the Nikon.

With that said, I only looked at Nikon's maybe because videos do not interest me.

Yup... I guess it's true then. But forreal, the T3I's video quality is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
As a T3i owner myself, I'd say go w/ the Canon.

But when you're dealing with Nikon and Canon comparisons, it's pretty much like if you're debating between buying a Honda and a Toyota. Either way, you really can't go wrong. It's personal preference.

When we got our first P/S camera it was a Canon. I think we saw one of our relatives use one at a family party, so we went with it. At the time of picking a DSLR, I had used my cousins T1i at random functions and I got pretty comfortable with it. So when it came down to it, we stuck with what we already knew.

Had his camera been a Nikon, I may have gotten one as well.

But again, between Nikon and Canon... flip a coin and either way, you're gonna be satisfied.

i reeeeeally want to get into photography and video, i've been looking into it for a while now. if only i actually had $400+ to spend 
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom