Nintendo announces new 3D-enabled DS, damn whats up with all these!? 3D TV then this!?!?

Less than a week before the latest -- and largest -- in the best-selling Nintendo DS series of handhelds hits streets, the company has unveiled plans for its successor: a new DS model capable of displaying three-dimensional images without the need for glasses.
The new portable -- currently named the "Nintendo 3DS" -- will be compatible with all current Nintendo DS games, including those for the machine's most recent model, the DSi. Nintendo plans to release more information on the new device at the E3 video game trade show in June and to release the device itself sometime before March 2011, the company said in a press statement.

It's not yet known how the 3DS will produce its visuals, but early speculation has centered around face-tracking technology, which uses a built-in, front-facing video camera to detect where the player is looking and shifts the perspective of the game's view accordingly. At least one Nintendo DSi game, 3D Hidden Picture, already uses the tech, but it's also possible Nintendo could have something completely new in mind.

But although venturing into the third dimension is something of a surprise move for the company -- which has been critical of the burgeoning 3D gaming trend recently -- it won't be their first portable 3D system.

The Virtual Boy, released amid the mid-90s virtual reality craze, could display monochrome 3D effects using a separate screen for each eye. But doomed by a dearth of games and terrible consumer reaction, the system was rapidly discontinued. It's still remembered as one of Nintendo's few missteps.

It's also a curiously timed announcement, coming just a week before Nintendo's new extra-large DSiXL goes on sale in North American retailers. The new machine will carry screens 93% larger than the current DSi, a larger stylus, and extended battery life, and will come with a suite of pre-installed software that includes two titles from the popular Brain Age series.

yea i saw this on yahoo... they need to make TV like that... it would be
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

still dont get this 3d hype

so things pop out on the screen, no thanks

yeah this was announced like at 3 in the freaking morning lol luckily i was up and caught this before most. wait till E3. pokemon will guarantee this thing sells no matter what.

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

^They already have...

im not talking about plastic glasses ++$!... i mean like it actually looks 3d INSIDE of the tv instead of popping out..

does this mean I'll ALWAYS have to have the ds at a certain angle to play it? sounds inconvenient

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

^They already have...

im not talking about plastic glasses ++$!... i mean like it actually looks 3d INSIDE of the tv instead of popping out..
Why would you want it depressed within the TV? And they already have done with without the use of the plastic glasses...

In fact, the new DS will be used without glasses

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

^They already have...

im not talking about plastic glasses **%+... i mean like it actually looks 3d INSIDE of the tv instead of popping out..

what? 1080p/blu-ray/HD should already give you that.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

^dude u might wana get rid of that kobe gif.

mods will ban u
that's the first time someone has pointed that out
laugh.gif
it's been used a billion times on NT for years and this is the first time I see this comment

and btw, no thanks on 3-D

Back
Top Bottom