• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Everyone talking about how bad the Wii U sold. It's just over 13 million right now. XBOX One isn't exactly killing it with 20 million. Now PS4 is a total BEAST! over 40 million already!
but nintendo is the only company that offers its base more than one gaming option though, thats gotta have some effect right? 

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't have money but how many more consoles are they gonna put out that fail before they say enough. Why continue losing money on consoles when you can just make more money by putting your software on other platforms?

For the record, I want Nintendo to continue making hardware but it seems silly to continue taking losses on consoles when the money is in their software. I just want them to modernize their consoles a little more. I don't need all that innovative stuff, nor do I want it.

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't have money but how many more consoles are they gonna put out that fail before they say enough. Why continue losing money on consoles when you can just make more money by putting your software on other platforms?

For the record, I want Nintendo to continue making hardware but it seems silly to continue taking losses on consoles when the money is in their software. I just want them to modernize their consoles a little more. I don't need all that innovative stuff, nor do I want it.
Seems as if everyone forgot they JUST WON LAST Console war with the Wii.

Seems as if everyone forgot they JUST WON LAST Console war with the Wii.
exactly! why are people painting nintendo as if they have been on a losing streak when the original wii far outpaced the PS3 and Xbox360 and the 3DS has more 53 million units old as of december.. Can you imagine if microsoft or even sony called it quits after that for consoles?

Last edited:
The Wii sold because of those gimmicky motion controls and even then PS3 and 360 still sold over 80M units each. That's the hardly the case with the Wii U. Outside of the Wii,Nintendo hardware rarely sells well compared to PS. NES and SNES sold ~ 50M and 60M. PS1 and PS2 (best selling console of all time) sold ~100M and 150M. Look at the GameCube and N64, ~22M and 33M.

I love Nintendo and their products, including the Wii U. I have never bought an Xbox or Playstation and up to this point have been a Nintendo-only gamer.

But if I was running Nintendo, I personally wouldn't want to bother with the cost of developing and manufacturing traditional console hardware, especially considering the performance gap that has existed for several generations. Instead, I would:

1. Keep manufacturing their extremely successful handheld consoles (3DS, etc)
  2. License old & new Nintendo titles that can be played on Xbox/PS/PC
  3. Within that licensing agreement, create connectivity between the 3DS and Xbox/PS/PC, so the 3DS can act like the Wii U's Gamepad for games that would benefit from having that available. This would strengthen sales of the 3DS, as it would add another reason to buy one.
  4. Continue to attack the smartphone market with light versions of Nintendo's classic lineup, targeting casual gamers, while keeping less-casual games exclusive to 3DS to protect those sales

Last edited:
The Wii sold because of those gimmicky motion controls and even then PS3 and 360 still sold over 80M units each. That's the hardly the case with the Wii U. Outside of the Wii,Nintendo hardware rarely sells well compared to PS. NES and SNES sold ~ 50M and 60M. PS1 and PS2 (best selling console of all time) sold ~100M and 150M. Look at the GameCube and N64, ~22M and 33M.
Gimmick or not, it sold over 100 million! Believe only the second consoles to do so (PS2). Again, Xbox One isn't breaking any records either, only at 20 million.

Last edited:
That was another thing I wanted to touch on. Mario and Zelda on smartphone would definitely sell but personally I don't want to play either on a phone with touch controls. Zelda could work if it was 2D similar to LttP but I hate touch controls.

That was another thing I wanted to touch on. Mario and Zelda on smartphone would definitely sell but personally I don't want to play either on a phone with touch controls. Zelda could work if it was 2D similar to LttP but I hate touch controls.
Yeah, controls are definitely the biggest hurdle in converting classic games into the smartphone format.

Gimmick or not, it sold over 100 million! Believe only the second consoles to do so (PS2). Again, Xbox One isn't breaking any records either, only at 20 million.
I got it but unless they can replicate that kind of success again, why continue taking losses on hardware?

Oh and Xbox 1 is still outpacing the 360 right now, it's just that PS4 is so far ahead already that X1 numbers seem low.

The Wii was fresh and innovative and had a great price point for it's target audience. That and the fact that people longed for another console to play Mario on. Once the novelty of the Wii wore off, it still did great because it was priced well, hell I even bought one :lol: Then they released the WiiU which for the price point was underpowered compared to its competition.

Nintendo tried to sell the WiiU the same way as the Wii w/ the same target demographic but increased the price. Moms and dads aint droppin $300+ on a game system for their kids plus the hike in the game costs. For the price of the WiiU, you can pay an extra $50 and get an XBOne w/ a motion sensor and know that it will be supported for years to come.

The Wii was fresh and innovative and had a great price point for it's target audience. That and the fact that people longed for another console to play Mario on. Once the novelty of the Wii wore off, it still did great because it was priced well, hell I even bought one
laugh.gif
Then they released the WiiU which for the price point was underpowered compared to its competition.

Nintendo tried to sell the WiiU the same way as the Wii w/ the same target demographic but increased the price. Moms and dads aint droppin $300+ on a game system for their kids plus the hike in the game costs. For the price of the WiiU, you can pay an extra $50 and get an XBOne w/ a motion sensor and know that it will be supported for years to come.
well with nintendo nearly doubling in worth, hopefully they can put some better tech in their system. either way im sure they learned from the wii u

I personally loved the wii u.. lots of great titles. The gamepad gets a bit annoying but other than that it was a great system imo..

The Wii was fresh and innovative and had a great price point for it's target audience. That and the fact that people longed for another console to play Mario on. Once the novelty of the Wii wore off, it still did great because it was priced well, hell I even bought one :lol: Then they released the WiiU which for the price point was underpowered compared to its competition.

well with nintendo nearly doubling in worth, hopefully they can put some better tech in their system. either way im sure they learned from the wii u

Let's hope. There's definitely a need for the lane they're in but they have to compete with the big boys. People will forever love that little Italian plumber and the little yellow Pokemon so that keeps them in the mentions, but they need to add the specs, support, and gaming titles to their arsenal. I'm a little upset that the NX won't release until Q1 2017 as I was going to get my daughter a new system this Christmas.

Let's hope. There's definitely a need for the lane they're in but they have to compete with the big boys. People will forever love that little Italian plumber and the little yellow Pokemon so that keeps them in the mentions, but they need to add the specs, support, and gaming titles to their arsenal. I'm a little upset that the NX won't release until Q1 2017 as I was going to get my daughter a new system this Christmas.
i remember reading that game developers are 150% concerned with the game experience and dont want that to be compromised, which is fair. if Nintendo can give developers a system more powerful than my old college lap top theyll be back in the race

It's hard for me talk about Nintendo without making it seem as if I hate them. As a kid who grew up on SNES, I only want Nintendo to be great. I just can't support them based on nostalgia. I tried so hard to like the Wii U but I truly hated that big *** gameplay and the pro controller was poorly designed imo. No doubt, the games are there. It's everything else that Nintendo needs to step up.

Nintendo really needs to improve its online services. Just blatantly steal the concepts and user interface of Xbox Live, which in my opinion is the best (except for the free games that come every month, Sony is very generous with their free offerings). It also needs to be more consistent and release more games more often, and hopefully the NX has enough horsepower to attract 3rd party developers.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07...illemot-has-seen-the-really-great-nintendo-nx

Nintendo NX / 20 Jul 2016
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot Has Seen the "Really Great" Nintendo NX
Share.
It's "going to help the industry to continue to grow".

By Joe Skrebels Yves Guillemot believes the NX will bring casual players back to the industry, based on what he's seen of the upcoming Nintendo console so far.

The Ubisoft CEO was speaking during a quarterly earnings call yesterday. “What we have seen is really great," he explained. "We think having a new machine coming is going to help the industry to continue to grow, and to take lots more casual players back to the industry.”

It's a callback to the successes of the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS, whose popularity was driven by a huge interest from non-core users. The Wii U famously failed to repeat the trick, despite Nintendo's internal predictions that it would match the Wii's 100 million sales milestone.

Ubisoft is so far the only major third-party publisher to publicly announce an NX game, the multiplatform Just Dance 2017. The French publisher was notable for its early support of Wii U, with several launch games made specifically for the console's touchscreen-enabled hardware.

Nintendo itself currently only has The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild scheduled for an NX release, but Pikmin 4 is looking very likely too.

Guillemot understandably revealed no details about exactly what he had seen of the console scheduled for release next March, but that hasn't stopped rumours about it abounding. Perhaps because Nintendo presidents keep calling it unique, speculation has revolved around whether the NX will swap discs for cartridges, be a handheld-console hybrid, or utilise VR.

Quiet as its kept, the NX has been getting a lot of positive buzz from insiders and 3rd parties.

- Last year we heard the NX had "industry leading chips" from the Forbes article

- Then Square-Enix jumped the gun and announced the new Dragon Quest game for the system, then mysteriously backtracked probably as a result of some NDA's

- Around the time of E3 one of the developers from "The Witcher" said that the NX will be fantastic and that he and his colleagues are excited to work with the platform. He even brought up how people are excited like there were with the the Revolution (Wii)

Now we have Ubisoft jumping on the bandwagon. This new system is probably going to do pretty well with 3rd parties. All they need now is a cosign from EA/2K sports to get all the casual sports gamers and shooter fans.

As for Nintendo going 3rd party or strictly mobile, I highly doubt that. Their core business is strong and they have a great corporate philosophy and brand. What many of ya'll fail to realize is this console war stuff is not real. They're a profitable company and have been for years. Just becasue you didn't like their last few consoles or becasue the lost a "war" doesn't mean they didn't earn a strong profit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom