Nokia N900- $50 rebate, Firefox now available.

Email is a very important feature for me and it works pretty well on the Nokia N900… for the most part. I'll show you how it looks on the pre-productionNokia N900 from setup, to reading the inbox, replying, and creating emails. In this post, I use my Nokia Messaging account to push my emails from Gmail.

The Nokia N900 referred to this post is running software version 1.2009.41-10.
[h4]Video Overview[/h4]
You can also watch this video in HD onYoutube. Subscribe to the channel to previewthe latest videos before they get published on the blog.
[h4]Setup[/h4]
During the setup, there's a pre-loaded list of service providers like Gmail, Yahoo, or Exchange. The list makes it easier for you to just log in andstart using email. Most of the other info like ports, server addresses, etc. are no longer needed. For advanced options, select 'Others' to manuallyfill out all the credentials.

Multiple email accounts are supported. There's no option to combine the accounts into one inbox, but you can choose from a dropdown which accountyou'd like to send your new emails from.

4028192766_e3a162c80e.jpg

For some weird reason, Nokia Messaging does not show up in the list when I'm using a SIM card from AT&T or T-mobile here in US. It is available whenI insert my European Vodafone SIM.
[h4]Inbox[/h4]
Browsing through the inbox is fairly easy. Flick your finger up or down to see the list of emails. Those in white mean already read, while the ones in colorare still not read. Long-press on an email activates a popup while blurring the background. You can mark the email as read or delete it from there.

4027444891_095c797665.jpg

Search is currently missing. You will not be able to look for certain emails.
[h4]Reading Emails[/h4]
HTML email is supported by the Nokia N900. Images do not load automatically, so you'll have to press the load image button at the bottom of the screen.If there's an option to load images automatically, I haven't found it yet. Other options while reading an email include the usual reply, reply all, andforward. It's very straightforward.

4028210634_9cbbf51c5d.jpg

[h4]Writing Emails[/h4]
As I previously mentioned, you can select in a drop down which account you are sending the email from. You can also use the bottom panel options to changethe font, size, format, and color. More options are available by pressing the status bar panel. This includes attachments, CC, and BCC. Attaching images ispretty straightforward as well.

4027464691_3b384a5cb3.jpg

[h4]Finishing Thoughts[/h4]
Email on the Nokia N900 is simple and easy to use. Many users will be happy with it. However,it is not exactly perfect yet.

Issues. There are some issues on this pre-production Nokia N900's email experience that hopefully gets resolved before hitting theshelves.

1. If I login using the Gmail account, the app becomes too slow. I will often get a "not responding" warning and force quit theapplication. I think it is trying to download all my emails since a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong.

2. Google Sync for Email is not fully supported. It can download some emails, but willnot display the content or recipient.

3. Nokia Messaging is not in the preloaded list if I am using an American SIM card. It shows up when I have my Vodafone SIM card fromNetherlands.

4. If I am using Nokia Messaging as an email account AND use Exchange for GoogleSync, I can read emails but cannot send emails. Mike from Nokia Conversations has the same setup, but told me he is able to send emails.

We're very interested in the Nokia N900, but will it be too big? The best way to find out is through size comparisons between devices we'veprobably seen before. I've entered the Nokia N900 dimensions on Sizeasy next to the iPhone, Nokia E71, and Nokia N97. Take a look.

sized_up_nokia_n97_vs_apple_i_phone_vs_nokia_e71_vs_nokia_n900.jpg

Color Guide

top_view_nokia_n97_vs_apple_i_phone_vs_nokia_e71_vs_nokia_n900.jpg

Top view

front_nokia_n97_vs_apple_i_phone_vs_nokia_e71_vs_nokia_n900.jpg
side_nokia_n97_vs_apple_i_phone_vs_nokia_e71_vs_nokia_n900_1.jpg

Front and Side view
[h4]Actual Comparison[/h4]
Here's an actual comparison between the Nokia E71 and N900. Thisphoto was shared by @chansearringtonon Twitter.

e71_vs_n900.jpg

I think the best way to imagine it in your hands is that it'll have the width of the iPhone with the thickness of the Nokia N97. Fortunately Nokia made it shorter than all the devices comparedhere. Does the size of the Nokia N900 bother you?

I know how much you dudes love your twitter...

Power Twitter is a browser add-on that adds inline YouTube, Flickr, TwitPic, all sorts ofplayable/viewable media to the twitter.com interface. It also features link expansion to preview thelink's page title. Power Twitter makes the official Twitter page better, so read on to find out how to install on the Nokia N900.

If you don't have a Nokia N900 yet, you can still see how Power Twitter works by installing it on Firefox on your computer.

You can also watch this video in HD on Youtube.Subscribe to the channel to preview the latest videos before they get published onthe blog.
[h4]Steps[/h4]
1. Install Greasemonkey-webaddon. It's currently in the Extras-Develrepository.

2. Restart the Nokia N900. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I hadto restart my device in order to install the script on the next step.

3. Install Power Twitter script for Greasemonkey from powertwitter.me.

4. Open twitter.com with the Nokia N900's browser. There should now be a link to thePower Twitter settings on the lower right corner. Login with your Twitter account and check/uncheck options based on your preference.

powertwitter.jpg

5. That's it! Thanks to Alan "Qole" Bruce for the tip.

I've been using Dabr on the Nokia N900 for my Twitter needs, but I stumbled upon a better web appcalled Hahlo. There's no need to download anything since it's accessible through the web browser.I'm surprised at the features it offers like auto-refresh, inline photos, inline replies, tweets near me, OAuth login, and more.

You don't even need to read this review since you can quickly head over to the site from your current browser to see for yourself. I'll highlightthe 6 things I love about Hahlo.

#1 If a tweet is a reply to another, pressing "in reply to" shows the reply on the same page.
screenshot_hahlo.jpg

#2 Tweets with photos like twitpics or flickr are shown.
screenshot_hahlo1.jpg

#3 I can choose how often my timeline automatically refreshes and new tweets become highlighted for a moment.
screenshot_hahlo_1.jpg

#4 Access to more options like tweets near me, trends, and advanced search.
screenshot_hahlo_2.jpg

#5 It's customizable. Settings allow you to hide/show or turn on/off features.
screenshot_hahlo_3.jpg

#6 Options to retweet, reply, favorite, or direct message by clicking on a tweet.
screenshot_hahlo_4.jpg

Hahlo is a great example of how we really don't need to install applications to get what we want. The browser is a powerful all-in-one app. It looksgreat on the Nokia N900.

Again all of this is from the Nokiablog

Originally Posted by Halftime718

599.99 but you can pay little by little
it aint worth it. supposedly, the touch screen is laggy.
to some that may not mean a lot, but a laggy touch screen phone is the worst thing ever
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Finance plans for a phone? I think that's a sign that it's probably too expensive. I doubt it does anything that the less expensive phones (BB, iPhone) can't do, anyway. What's the selling point for this thing?

thats OD, no offense but if you do that for a phone you shouldnt be buyin it.

when the bold dropped i paid 595 after it was all said an done with the biggest memory card purchased along with it, you get the rebate but still.

If you have to finance a cell phone, then you really shouldn't be buying it.
true

The touch screen is responsive, financing this phone is the same as taking it out with a 2 year contract since your phone company won't be paying the otherhalf for you. I paid cash but that shouldn't be a problem, just think of paying it as buying something with a c.c.The camera is very nice, but ihaven't used the N82 so i can't compare. The pictures posted of the box on the other page were taken and posted from the phone. Overall i really likethis phone even though i still need to figure out some stuff and there will be a lot of updates in the near future. I posted some articles from the Nokiablogfor those of you who are undecided about buying.

Like honestly, from reading the blog and looking at the pics and checking out the specs... This is a NICEdevice. But really though, besides having a slightly less capable browser (ANdroid 2.0 will be getting FULL flash capability soon), the Motorola Droid is justas good if not better all-around. As you can see the pixel density of the Droid is only slightly less at 265, versus the N900's 267 BUT the Droids screenis a little bigger. The slide out keyboard on the Droid also has the built in directional pad that clicks for Enter. Droid has a 5 MP Cam that is awesome,though admittedly not Carl Zeiss glass. Droids Video cam is 720x480 which takes smooth and very clear video (I have a sample that I will post as soon as I canconvert format).

I am telling you Google Navigation for Android 2.0 is simply one of the best Nav programs out there. It shows you what youare actually seeing as you are driving and it dynamically zooms to show a detailed route for complicated intersections or on and off ramps on thefreeway.

The way both phones handle contacts is pretty much the same, and looks pretty similar. I am not sure if the N900 handlesApp widgets, but if it doesn't the Droid leads in that dept. IF you are a huge gmail person then Droid has true push for gmail, not sure if the N900 doesthat right off the bat.

I will say one thing though...those who think this is actually a replacement for a laptop is definitely on crack. This isnot even as powerful as some of the better NetBooks out.

this phone is really good even though i think they did rush to release a bit. there are a lot of scheduled updates and there are a lot of apps in developmentdue to how easy it is to develope for Maemo. I know for a fact that if this phone gets subsidized by T-Mobile or any company it would out sell any phone, @@#%it's selling at this price so imagine at half price. overall i like this phone. I will post more articles soon, again if you need any help i will try to doso with what i know.

Elder i don't think anyone is saying it will replace a laptop or netbook more like it being a netbook that fits in your pocket.

[h1]Nokia N900 review, part 1. First impressions. Things I reallyliked[/h1]
Yesterday, around lunchtime, my test model of Nokia N900 arrived at the door.

And, with a few hours of sleep interrupt, I've been playing with it ever since. For about 15 hrs. now. So I think it's time to put it away for awhile, and share some first impressions I got from playing around with Nokia N900.

The bottom line - I'm impressed. Very impressed. Really, really impressed.

On the other hand, I know understand why Nokia is insisting that N900 is more of a work inprogress, "step 4 in a 5 step program", that it's a niche device and should be sold mostly to early adopters, who like to push the limits,but won't mind a bug or two, or some common elsewhere, but missing in N900 feature.

And Nokia N900 is certainly not a phone. While you can feel that most Nokia smartphones are designed as phones, with "smart" functions added ontop and around, N900 feels the opposite. Like a small screen computer with a phone functionality added on top.

I will also mention, that the device I have is a pre-release handset, and Nokia is still ironing out minor bugs, so there's a good chance that quite afew of the bugs/shortcomings I noticed, will be fixed/resolved by the time N900 hits the streets in a week or two.
[h4]Nokia N900 first impressions. Starting-up[/h4]
Just like any new handset, when you boot it up, you are greeted with a screen to enter the things like time, date, language, regional settings, etc. Afterthat, N900 launches, with a screen looking something like this:

and lets you play a "Get started" video, which does what it says pretty well, and quickly takes you through the main features and functions of thedevice.

Then it's time to actually start exploring and playing with the handset. The 4 available desktop panels on Nokia N900 are somewhat filled up with thepreinstalled widgets and shortcuts. To find my bearings around N900, I just started sliding from panel to panel with a swipe gesture, tapping around andchecking out what each shortcut or widget does.

The problem is, I managed to, unintentionally, but very quickly, wipe out all the preinstalled shortcuts and widgets away from all the panels. I did it bysimply by deselecting and then selecting again the active panels in "Desktop set-up"->"Manage views" menu.

Which left me with a screen like this:

Completely empty spaces, without a single shortcut, widget or any other indication what to do. And remember, there is not a single physical or soft key onthe front of the device. Which, at first, confused and pissed me off a bit, but then turned out to be for the best.

Filling things back was pretty intuitive and easy. Just tap at the top of the screen a couple of times to get to "desktop settings" menu, andstart adding things back. Doing that without any hints and pre-conceptions of Nokia engineers of what's important to me, allowed me to customize the 4available desktop panels of Nokia N900, exactly the way I wanted.

[h4]Nokia N900 first impressions. Touchscreen, navigation and usability[/h4]
It's a conventional wisdom that resistive touchscreen will always be inferior to the capacitive one. Nokia N900 has a resistive touchscreen, so, nomatter what, it can not be very good.

And, like most conventional wisdoms, this one's is also dead wrong. The touchscreen on Nokia N900 is very responsive, fast and easy to use. I did nothave any problems with it so far.

Overall phone navigation is pretty well thought out too.

You have 4 desktop panels, where you can place any installed widgets, shortcuts to various apps, functions, or contacts. You can move through panels with aswipe gesture.

At the top left corner of the screen there is an "Applications menu".

Tap on it once and it brigs up a dashboard where active/running application thumbnails and notification about missed calls, messages, e-mails, etc; aredisplayed.

Tap twice, and you are taken to the application menu.

In the first open window of app menu, only main default N900 apps and functions are displayed. And the non scrollable area contains only 15 icons, so it canbe a bit confusing at first - I got an impression that there's only very limited amount of apps available. However, when you press the bottom right"More…" icon, another , bigger/scrollable page opens, where various installed and ready to be installed apps are displayed.

Tapping anywhere at the top of "app menu" screen, takes you back to active app dashboard. Taping anywhere outside active apps, takes you to themain desktops panels. Tapping on an active up, of course, brings up that app.

Overall, it took me between 15 to 30 minutes to get used to it, and then I was able to navigate anywhere in the device extremely fast, with a few intuitivetaps and swipes.

Next to the "Applications menu" you have a "Status bar" , where relevant connectivity/phone status symbols are displayed. Things like -on-line offline, connected to 3G Networks, Wi-Fi data connection, remaining battery power, time, etc;.

Tapping on a status bar, brings up "Status menu", where you can quickly adjust things like time/alarms, internet connection options, availabilitystatus on IM services, phone profile, Bluetooth, USB, etc;

Tapping anywhere else at the top of the touchscreen, brings up the set up options/menu for the active Window. If it's the main desktop panel, options toadd, delete and move around various icons and shortcuts, change background and themes, appear. If it's a browser window - you get various options for thebrowser, in phone app - telephone app set-up and so on.
[h4]Nokia N900 First Impressions. Phone, SMS, VoIP/Skype and IM integration[/h4]
Contrary to most of the other traditional smartphones, Nokia N900 is not centered around the phone function. There are no "Answer"/ "Hangup" buttons or menu keys on it, no default/compulsory phone access from the home screen. On Nokia N900, telephony is truly just another application. Notmuch different from Skype, Google Talk, Jabber and other instant messaging clients.

In fact, Google Voice, Skype, Nokia IM, Jabber and SIP clients are natively integrated in the phone app. For now, I had a chance to try only Google Talkand Skype on N900. But those two worked like a charm inside the main phone/contacts app.

To get GTalk and Skype running on N900, I only had to add them as "New accounts" with my login details. That's it. All the contacts from bothservices were imported into my address book and the services are active whenever I am online.

When I want to contact a person, I just select a person and decide how I want to go about that: make a phone call, send an e-mail, send Skype/GTalk instantmessage or make a Skype call. There's no functional difference, friction or difference in the telephony/contact app between any of these options. So youjust select whichever is the most convenient mode of contact at this particular moment, and do it.

I already see my Skype (both free and paid) usage going through the roof with this, while at the same time reducing mobile phone bills too.

Well, there was one small inconvenience with all those multiple accounts merged into the phone book. Since I'm not too careful or diligent inmaintaining contact lists on those services, the merged phone book got kinda messy, and required some manual cleaning and record merging. But it was worth it.And, also, with the option to delegate a desktop panel or two exclusively to the contacts I communicate with the most, I'm now in touch with them muchbetter then I was before.
[h4]Nokia N900 first impressions. Internet browsing and multi-tasking.[/h4]
Internet browsing and multitasking are probably the coolest features of Nokia N900.

For now, I think, the internet browser and overall Net browsing experience on Nokia N900 ,is probably the the best one among the mobile devices of similarsize.

It is almost a full fledged, touch optimized Firefox browser with complete HTML, Flash, Javascript and other Web standard support. Simply put, websites onNokia N900 look the same (if only with a smaller symbols and elements) as they would look on a desktop PC with 800 pixel wide resolution display.

It takes a little time to get used to Nokia's strange clockwise/counterclockwise finger rotation gesture for zooming. But once you get used to it,Internet browsing experience on N900 becomes the best, compared to any other device around (iPhone included). Of course, it is still not a complete desktopexperience, there is only so much you can do on a 3.5 inch screen. But it is the next best thing for now.

And Nokia N900 does a true, almost PC level multi-tasking without breaking a sweat. Here's a screenshot of of Nokia N900 dashboard with 6 open browserwindows, 9 active applications (File manager, Phone app, Conversations app, Ovi Maps, E-mail app, Chess and Blocks games, PDF reader with an e-book open,Gallery app) and an mp3 podcast playing in the background.

And, with all that stuff running, there was no significant slowdown in overall speed of the device.

Well, this first impression thing starts running pretty long. I think I'm gonna take a brake for now and will be back tomorrow with part 2. Today wasall praises of Nokia N900, tomorrow I'll talk about the things that piss me off about it and some conclusions.

Stay tuned.

[h1]Nokia N900 review, pt2. First impressions. 6 things I hate aboutN900[/h1]
Let's continue with my first impressions about Nokia N900 Maemo 5 handset.

Check out the first part ofNokia N900 review, for the things I liked most about it. And, to tell the truth, they are just the start of the things I really like about thishandset.

But before I go on, and continue to sing praises to Nokia N900, there are some things that I just have to get off my chest.

These are annoyances I encountered using Nokia N900.

I know that Nokia N900/Maemo is a work in progress, not expected to reach it's full potential until Maemo 6 comes out next year, and that the device Ihave uses a pre-release firmware. I am taking this into account.

Also, before I begin, I want to say the the number of bugs and missing features that I encountered so far, were few and far between.

But they still were there, and are worth talking about.

(Initially, this post was called "8 things I hate about Nokia N900". But two of them turned out to be a non-issues, so they are only thethings I used to hate for the first two days. And don't pay much attention to this "hate" thing. It is purely an attention grabber
icon_wink.gif
" class="wp-smiley"> I am only annoyed, irritated or disappointed by most of them,and none are a deal breaker that will make me like my N900 less.
)

Anyway, here we go.
[h3]6 things I hate about Nokia N900. Listed in no particular order.[/h3]
1. Almost exclusively landscape orientation. Lack of portrait mode. This one's a biggie. When Maemo devices were only internet tablets,exclusively landscape orientation made sense. But N900 is not only the tablet anymore. Yes, it is mobile computer, and a great internet browsing device.

But N900 is also a thing, that is meant to be used as a smartphone. And, in a lot of cases, smartphones are meant to be used with a single hand. Which, ifnot impossible, is extremely hard to do in a landscape orientation.

Thank god Nokia made dialer app work in portrait mode. This way I can, at least, make calls holding the phone in one hand. But the portrait mode, fornow, is exclusively for the phone calls - dialing the number on keypad, or selecting a contact to call.

It does not even extended to SMS. For even the shortest message I have to switch back to landscape mode.

Some applications and interaction modes work also best in a portrait mode, which is impossible to do for now.

Fortunately, the absence of landscape mode is not some strange design decision on Nokia's part. They simply did not have enough time to include thatbefore the device launch.

Nokia knows the problem, is working on it, and will provide fix in time. In fact, during Maemo Summit last week in Amsterdam, head of Nokia Maemo grouppromised portrait modesupport in N900 browser by the end of the year, with pervasive portrait support throughout the device later.

2. Password entry while browsing. It's a small thing, but pretty annoying.

Usually, on a mobile device, when you press a key entering hidden symbols for a password field, the actual symbol pops up for a short while, and then isreplaced with a star.

This does not happen with N900 browser. When I use physical keyboard to type in a password on some site , all I can see in the entry field - are the stars.It does not show what symbol I entered, even for a short while. Then, when the password does not work, I am left guessing whether I forgot it, or just made atypo on those tiny keys. Trying to figure out which one it is, by entering password again and again, is no fun, and can leave me banned from some sites forhours.

Fortunately, there is a sort of workaround for this problem. Close the device, and use virtual keyboard instead. When you encounter password, or any otherdata entry field, tap on it. Virtual keypad with a separate data entry field pops-up, and works as it is supposed to work on any full touch mobile device.

But I still would like to have similar functionality when using physical keyboard as well. Including pop-up data entry field for forms. Those forms aremighty small on such a small display. And all that zooming in and out when filling in the forms can be a real pain in the behind.

3. Small icons with big "Close" fields in 'Desktop setup" mode. I don't know if there is any easy way around it, butmoving shortcut icons, when setting up desktop panels, is real pain.

Maybe it's just my big fingers, but the icon size to "close" button size ratio is really small. Which results in me accidentally removing theicon, instead of moving it to some place else, more often then not.

4. Not enough desktop panels, or space on them. I am already starting to run out of the space for widgets, shortcuts and bookmarks on the4 desktop panels I have available to me. Even with an extremely limited amount of widgets and apps available for Nokia N900 for now.

I dread to think what I will do when app and widget development for Maemo 5 takes off.

So please, Nokia, in some future firmware upgrade, give us the possibility to have more desktop panels. Or at least make some of them scrollable.

5. Maps and Navigation. When I travel to some place, Maps&Navigation apps become a key for the mobile device I carry. Right now,I'm planning my trip to SEE 2009 in London, and want to take the N900 as a main mobile device for a ride. However, available maps and navigation options,make me think hard about that.

I am used to using Google maps and Ovi Maps 3.0 on my trips. For some things Google maps are better, for others OVI maps shine. Neither of which areavailable on Nokia N900 yet.

What I am left with right now - are Ovi Maps 1.00. Which are kind of OK for many things on the go. But when you are used to much better OVI Maps 3, and thelatest in Google maps, this "kind of OK" thing sucks. And it is a significant step down from the mapping/navigation experience, I got used to on my 3year old Nokia N95.

No PC/cloud Ovi syncing, no easy way (that I found) to download maps in advance, no street view, inferior search, etc; Duh.

Please, Nokia, Google, port your latest mapping apps to Maemo 5/N900 as soon as you can. I really need them.

6. Which brings us the problem of general lack of apps for the device.

Yes I know, I know. This is just a pre-release version, and in a week or few,quite a few more Maemo apps will become available through OVI store, Maemo Select and Maemo.orgExtras.

I also know, that adding Maemo.org testing catalogue to N900, gets you quite a few additional cool beta apps right now.

And then, with the QT 4.6 integration, many more apps are on the way in the following months. Whether ported from Symbian and other platforms, or developedexclusively for Maemo.

It's just me, being impatient, ranting and venting. Still, could we have all the cool apps I played with on Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile andiPhone, running on Maemo. Tomorrow, please!
[h3]Things I hated about Nokia N900 for the first two days. But found a solution[/h3]
And then there are a couple of things I fumed about for the first two days, and have already made them a part of this post. They are somewhat related -issues with locking and unlocking of Nokia N900. But it turns out it was mainly my bad, with the solution right in front of my nose.

Still, I hate to waste all of that text and ranting passion, and some of you may be having the same problems. So I'll keep the already resolvedcomplaints here, and then tell you why they are not the problem anymore.

Device unlock screen with no info at all. This one's a rather smallish thing, that, I think, can be easily fixed. But it'sextremely annoying to me.

Since setting up Nokia N900 as a mobile computer, security was one of the key things I was worried about. With passwords to my all e-mail accounts, siteslike Google Adsense, this blog, Facebook account, etc; stored on the device, and only a click away, I was extremely conscious what can happen if my Nokia N900gets stolen by a person who knows what to do about it.

Fortunately, Nokia N900 provides a possibility to lock the handset after certain amount of time. And it works pretty well.

Except for one thing. When you want to check what's happening on N900 after it's locked, all you get is the screen with a keypad to enter the unlockcode.

Now, I haven't been wearing a wristwatch for more then 10 years now. I always use my mobile for that. You know the drill. Want to know what time is it?Take out the phone. Press a key or two. Done.

Except that now I have to use unlock switch, and then enter the full unlock code, every time I want to check time! Oh, and that portrait/landscape thing Italked earlier about? Yes, the unlock keypad is available only in landscape mode. So I have to use both of my hands for the whole thing.

Status/message notifications on the device unlock screen, showing how many calls I missed, e-mails and messages received, would be nice, too. But please,please, please put at least the friggin clock on the unlock display ASAP!!

Unlock key on the right/side bottom of N900. And whose bright idea was that? When in landscape mode, and holding the device with twohands, it works OK. But in portrait mode, and when I hold N900 in the palm of my hand, the unlock switch is at the bottom of the handset. Do you know how easyit is to get to that switch, at the bottom, when you hold the device in the same hand? Just try it

Solution.Well, it turns out I was raving and ranting about these unlocking things in vain. Nokia N900 already has resolved these issuesvery elegantly. Instead of using "Screen lock/unlock" key or sliding keyboard to activate a touchscreen, use "Power On/Off" keyinstead.

When you press the power key, display backlights, and a screen with time, date and a very iPhonish slider appears. Swipe the slider and the screenunlocks.

I would still like to see missed calls, message info on this screen, but my main itch -no easily accessible clock - has been scratched away.

There you have it. These are all my gripes after playing with Nokia N900 quite intensively, for the last 3 days.

I guess I could talk about one other thing - lack of MMS support on Nokia N900. Which is true. For now, Nokia N900 does not support MMS messaging. But Ihaven't sent a single MMS message in my life. So I simply don't care about this.

Overall, for a device with pre-release firmware, and an OS that is one generation away from completion, there are amazingly few bugs and things that pissme off on Nokia N900. Whatever I try on it, you are much more likely to hear shouts like 'Wow!", "Holy crap, that's cool!" from me,instead of "F*&k", "What a piece of crap!", "Bollocks!" that I got used to, testing many other Nokia and non Nokiadevices.

And now, off to singing praises again and more N900 testing. Expect the next review installment of the review early next week.

^^^I really like the N900. Very promising. Nokia has faded a bit here in the U.S. but worldwide it is aleader...heck the Symbian OS holds over %50 of the marketshare worldwide.

[h1]General shortcuts[/h1]
  • Ctrl + C = Copy text
  • Ctrl + V = Paste text
  • Ctrl + X = Cut text
  • Ctrl + A = Select all
  • Ctrl + O = Open (if available)
  • Ctrl + N = Create a new item (if available)
  • Ctrl + S = Save (if available)
  • Ctrl + Z = Undo (if available)
  • Ctrl + Y = Redo (if available)
  • Ctrl + F = Open search bar (if available)
  • Ctrl + Right arrow = Move the insertion point to the end of the word
  • Ctrl + Left arrow = Move the insertion point to the beginning of the word
  • FN + Ctrl = symbols and characters missing from keyboard. Symbols on the third row are entered by pressing the symbol followed by the 'Space' key
  • Ctrl + Backspace = (from within application) brings up the visual task manager
  • Ctrl + Shift + P = takes a screenshot. The PNG image file is saved in /home/user/MyDocs/.images/Screenshots/ with a timestamp in the filename.
  • Ctrl + Shift + X = starts Xterm
  • Double press power button = Locks device
  • A-Z = From the Desktop, start typing the name of a person and your contacts will be filtered with that name
  • Type any number on the Desktop (Blue-Arrow + <number>) to start Phone
http://[h1]http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures&action=edit&section=2Conversations[/h1]
  • Tap and hold on a text message = You get the option to call the person
  • Swipe-from-left (as in browser) allows selecting and copying of message text.
http://[h1]http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures&action=edit&section=3General gestures[/h1]
  • Long press on Task Switch icon = Brings you back to desktop
  • When getting a incoming call, turn over the device so the screen faces down towards the table surface = Silence an incoming call
  • From the phone app drop down menu "turning control" allows you to set orientation, but also set it to launch the phone app when you turn the device to portrait. Seems to only work from the desktop.
http://[h1]http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures&action=edit&section=4Xterm shortcuts[/h1]
  • Ctrl + I = Autocomplete filename
http://[h1]http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures&action=edit&section=5Web browser shortcuts[/h1]
  • Ctrl + N = Open a new window
  • Ctrl + R = Reload the current page
  • Ctrl + B = Open a bookmark
  • Ctrl + D = Add a bookmark
  • Ctrl + Right Arrow = Move cursor to next text-input box. Cursor must be in an input box to begin with.
  • Ctrl + Left Arrow = Move cursor to previous text-input box. Cursor must be in an input box to begin with.
  • Ctrl + Shift + I = Reset zoom to normal
  • Backspace = Go back to the previous page
  • Shift + Backspace = Forward
http://[h2]http://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=N900_Shortcuts_and_Gestures&action=edit&section=6Web browser gestures[/h2]
  • Double tap text = Zooms in on the text segment
  • Double tap text (when already zoomed in) = Zoom out
  • Clockwise circular inward motion = Zoom in
  • Counter-clockwise circular outward motion = Zoom out
  • Swipe finger from the right of the screen (outside of screen), towards left (into the screen) = Browser history
  • Swipe finger from the left of the screen (outside of screen), towards right (into the screen) = Hover mode. An arrow is diplayed on the left. Clicking the arrow creates a pointer that can be used as a mouse to select text. Deactivate by clicking the arrow on the left.
http://[h1] E-mail client[/h1]
  • Ctrl + Enter = Send a message
  • Ctrl + R = Reply to a message
http://[h1] RSS Reader[/h1]
  • Ctrl + R = Refresh the feed

i've always wanted a nokia phone...i'd have to use it in person to see if its actually worth the 6

Originally Posted by Shaze804

i've always wanted a nokia phone...i'd have to use it in person to see if its actually worth the 6

It's a very good device, still needs a couple updates to actually be a smartphone.A couple of people made fun of my phone because i can't even send orger MMS but i like this phone a lot. Also the Apps stores should be opening soon. The flagships stores have a couple of devices available for use. If anyonehas a questions feel free to ask and i will help with what i can as well as pros and cons and things of that nature.

smh at the way new phones get introduced nowadays. phone tech is so quick...i like the droid cause its google x moto but i'd rather stay ontmobile....might as well wait on the google x google

Back
Top Bottom