Non-Blacks; Growing Up In School, Did Your Teachers Speak/Teach You of Black Culture At All?

Not all my teachers but I remember in 7th grade, my Reading teacher did alot for the kids to learn more about Latino and Black cultures.
Black history month and Latin history month (Even though its not that big), we had assignments on it everyday and such things..She was a nice lady

The history we are taught in school is all eurocentric and mostly white washed, so I doubt any of us had in depth about black culture.

Originally Posted by t0xicman

unfortunately, we had to

indifferent.gif

YO... my man DC... peep this.. every school of mine, even my college, has been here in Gary, IN. It's 89% black people here. My one AfricanAmerican history course (10th grade) was taught by a 70 year old Irish man with a George Carlin sense of humor. How weird is that?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Did they acknowledge black history month?
Did they speak on the inventions that were believed to be created by blacks?
Did you speak about the slave trade?

Just curious
yes, all of it

My one African American history course (10th grade) was taught by a 70 year old Irish man with a George Carlin sense of humor.
Mr. Maloney was the greatest teacher ever! The man even made us learn Yiddish!

yes, growing up in a public school in the city we learned all about black history, celebrated black history month etc. even in like 2nd grade they taught usabout kwanzaa and ramaddan (sp) public schools ftw
pimp.gif

almost all my teachers my K-8 were black except maybe 2 or 3
pimp.gif
I learneda lot about my ancestors needless to say

This isn't relying on just being non-black. This is a "I went to a predominately ______ type of school for the majority of my academic life"thing.

Originally Posted by donfratrachelli

Black History Month/Week was always hilarious to me growing up. It was the same names K-12 and not even delving very deep into any of them. It was basically George Washington carver had the same name as one of our President and "invented" peanut butter (how you invent something that already exists as it's just basically crushed nuts in their own oil is beyond me, but I guess we also "discovered" a place with millions of people already there too), Harriet Tubman escaped slavery underground, MLK and Malcolm X made segregation go away, Thurgood Marshall was the first black Supreme Court judge,...

matching test...

back to your regularly scheduled European American History

this

Now that I look back, I even had a African history studies class in 12th grade taught by a Black preacher and even that class was laughable.

Did they acknowledge black history month?
Did they speak on the inventions that were believed to be created by blacks?
Did you speak about the slave trade?

Just curious

yes
yes
and yes

and i go to a '70 % white high school'

Nope. but my US history teacher said that SLAVERY was a WAY OF LIFE and we wouldn't be here today if the US abolished it early on. (He said this DIRECTLYto me and im the only African-American in the class) . Yet he continues to say he is not a racist he is just stating the facts.
smh.gif
mad.gif

Yep, went to school in NY. We were taught about Martin Luther King in elementary. We had some sort of stage performance and I played him. In HS, we were taughtabout slavery, Malcom x, panthers, so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by KIDFLY SniperElite007

Nope. but my US history teacher said that SLAVERY was a WAY OF LIFE and we wouldn't be here today if the US abolished it early on. (He said this DIRECTLY to me and im the only African-American in the class) . Yet he continues to say he is not a racist he is just stating the facts.
smh.gif
mad.gif
Whoa. Elaborate more on that

1. What was the tone of the class when he was talking to you
2. How did you respond/feel about it?
3. What was his tone

Originally Posted by KIDFLY SniperElite007

Nope. but my US history teacher said that SLAVERY was a WAY OF LIFE and we wouldn't be here today if the US abolished it early on. (He said this DIRECTLY
to me and im the only African-American in the class) . Yet he continues to say he is not a racist he is just stating the facts.
smh.gif
mad.gif
Whoa. Elaborate more on that

1. What was the tone of the class when he was talking to you
2. How did you respond/feel about it?
3. What was his tone

His tone was calm a guess but i didn't do anything some kids in the class said to argue with the dude bit i stayed in the shadows. And on top of that (idkif its just me or not) but the way he and about 40% of the class say BLACK PEOPLE as i answer questions with African-Americans idk its just the way he says itknowing he could use other terms just gets to me

Originally Posted by infamousod

went to predominantly hispanic school and we did the black history thing big time. the slave trade was always explained in american history class. MLK, Washington Carver, Fredrick Douglas all them dudes were beat into our heads.
same

No this is why i hated school, Pac helped me open my eyes and educated me more on black culture then my white teachers.

Originally Posted by Tony Goalie

If your "black history" started with slavery you did not get a good education on "black history".
pimp.gif

But more often then not.. those lessons aren't taught in school

I didnt get any black history. Im a black kid from the subs, im learning a lot myself right now. I kind of feel cheated i didnt get to learn young, so i couldbe deeper into know where i came from.

Back
Top Bottom