Norcal's GRUB Thread

Trying to take my girl to a nice resturant for vday. Whats the best steakhouse in San Francisco?
damnit man I have the placein my head its like on stockton or post few blocks away from union square and that place has black drapes/coverings outside, ima check with my bro he knows

^yo that's it
laugh.gif
need a pic of it outside to be 100 but yeah its near union so it has to be

shout out to Alexander's steakhouse in Cupertino...Gary Danko in SF... Manresa in Los altos...and Jon jon's bbq in san jose (on oakland road)

***my favorite eating spots the last couple years

Yo guys the new 7x7 Top 100 BIG Eats 2013 came out recently. List has about 80 new smacking dishes to check out this year. Definitely should go take a peep at that.

Sac heads anyone ever been to Cafe Rolle headed out that way tomorrow I was going to check it out.

Didn't go through all the pages yet so not sure if this place has been mentioned but a new spot just opened a few months ago in downtown San Jose called the "Grub Shack" in the corner of 3rd St and Santa Clara right next to Freddie J's Bar & Lounge. Filipino owned and operated but the menu is more Hawaii'n influenced. Try the Kahlua pork sliders. It's really good!!

93 E Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113
(650) 260-4782

I saw it on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives! Tell me how it is

Closed on Mondays :smh:

Went to Tower Cafe instead. I'd had plenty of french toast in my day and until yesterday I didn't think there was any out there better than Zazie's.

I was wrong.

:tongue: :pimp:

Didn't go through all the pages yet so not sure if this place has been mentioned but a new spot just opened a few months ago in downtown San Jose called the "Grub Shack" in the corner of 3rd St and Santa Clara right next to Freddie J's Bar & Lounge. Filipino owned and operated but the menu is more Hawaii'n influenced. Try the Kahlua pork sliders. It's really good!!

93 E Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113
(650) 260-4782

I mentioned them on the last page. I recently tried their garlic shrimp rice plate. Man, I thought I was in the North Shore eating at Fumi's or Giovani's. It's excellent! The Kahlua fries and the shrimp sliders are also a hit.

I mentioned them on the last page. I recently tried their garlic shrimp rice plate. Man, I thought I was in the North Shore eating at Fumi's or Giovani's. It's excellent! The Kahlua fries and the shrimp sliders are also a hit.

I'll definately try different stuff from their menu! The thing is with me though is that once I find something I like in a menu, I'll stick with that till I get tired of it before I try anything new :D

Last edited:
I mentioned them on the last page. I recently tried their garlic shrimp rice plate. Man, I thought I was in the North Shore eating at Fumi's or Giovani's. It's excellent! The Kalua fries and the shrimp sliders are also a hit.

I'll definately try different stuff from their menu! The thing is with me though is that once I find something I like in a menu, I'll stick with that till I get tired of it before I try anything new :D

I suggest you try everything on their menu. The seasoning they use on the hamburger patty is awesome. You could really taste it in the burger and the loco.

So far we've tried..
-Rude Boy
-Kalua Fries
-Shrimp Sliders
-Loco Moco
-Garlic Shrimp Plate
-A Teri-chicken rice plate that was on the daily specials.

We have not had one mediocre dish yet.
Here's a pic I took of their menu.( Before they had paper menus)

^stopped by the grubshack today. Got to try the kalua sliders/fries as well as the poke. But I really recommend the cukui tacos! 

I suggest you try everything on their menu. The seasoning they use on the hamburger patty is awesome. You could really taste it in the burger and the loco.

So far we've tried..
-Rude Boy
-Kalua Fries
-Shrimp Sliders
-Loco Moco
-Garlic Shrimp Plate
-A Teri-chicken rice plate that was on the daily specials.

We have not had one mediocre dish yet.
Here's a pic I took of their menu.( Before they had paper menus)

I live very close by and will work my way up their entire menu eventually :D

^stopped by the grubshack today. Got to try the kalua sliders/fries as well as the poke. But I really recommend the cukui tacos! 

I think the cukui tacos are next on my "try" list. I'm still stuck on the Kahlua sliders!

that's the OG french guy right? he has a strong accent lol. the shrimp with lentils and pate looked good

i needa try grubshack. the food looks delicious in pics. How is the portion size?

Portion sizes are decent. Not little but not enough for my appetite lol. They usually hook me up when the owners are around :D .

Last edited:
Looking for some awesome molé chicken. The best I've had so far in my area is at La Pinata in Hayward (...and San Leandro). I'm sure there's gotta be spots that are even better. Speaking of Mexican food, I just discovered Papalote on the Mission about a month ago. I love that spot. Their "Mexi-Pino" chicken adobo burrito is pretty bomb. I got addicted to their orange salsa and bought jars of it at Whole Foods! Hell, I think it's dethroned La Vic's as my sauce of choice. *puts on flame suit* Haha.

Looking for some awesome molé chicken. The best I've had so far in my area is at La Pinata in Hayward (...and San Leandro). I'm sure there's gotta be spots that are even better. Speaking of Mexican food, I just discovered Papalote on the Mission about a month ago. I love that spot. Their "Mexi-Pino" chicken adobo burrito is pretty bomb. I got addicted to their orange salsa and bought jars of it at Whole Foods! Hell, I think it's dethroned La Vic's as my sauce of choice. *puts on flame suit* Haha.

Damn, a Mexi-Pino chicken adobo burrito sound good! Where exactly is this place?

mission chinese on mission st in SF got named #27 best restaurant in the nation by the way. Vice did a segment on the main cooks

I've been there its good

actually, what I ordered is still in the recent images section
laugh.gif
, no pics in this thread
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom