Norcal's GRUB Thread

Nope a friend had been bugging me about going finally went a few weeks back. WOW hella good.

Roxie's special on dutch crunch FTW
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Sup_

Just had Holy Grill in SF. I had the Guru which consisted of mushrooms andonions with blue cheese.

Pretty good burger and the fries are good also. Probably will go back and try the other stuff.

Peace.

hit Pacific Catch in the Marina yesterday. spicy mahi-mahi sandwich+sweet potato fries w/ginger aieoli dipping sauce+coleslaw for $12....not super cheap butYUMMY!

sidenote: so over Marina-heads' 'tudes, but, dang, them snowbunnies keep getting me!! lol

oh, also hit Gary Danko last week. i gave up going home broke+hungry joints when i left LA, but gotta admit, GD is prolly one of the best overall diningexperiences I've ever had! liked it more than French Laundry, Le Cirque in NYC, etc.

what surprised me most were the pretty huge portions! they have a menu of like 30 diff things, incl apps, entrees, & desserts. you pick any 3/$66, 4/$78??,or 5/$98 a head.....could be 5 apps or any combo. the chef adjusts the portions accordingly, but all 5 of mine were seriously the size of full entrees at otherchez-chez joints.

i forgot my cell, but one of my buds took pics for me. still waiting on her to send them, but she's hella busy lately, so taking a while.

here's what i had tho.....

grilled bison
pan seared scallops in thai curry sauce (BEST dish of night & maybe ever at ANY price!)
duck breast
lobster salad
rack of lamb

they seem to do better w/seafood than meats, but, overall, everything was really good. best of all was the service....super friendly+NOM-pretentious, which isreally a plus/rarity at these type of joints.

if any of y'all wanna treat yourselves, wifey, etc, check it out!

Originally Posted by 650

Is Little Luca's that great? I usually go to Mr. Pickles here in San Mateo and I haven't had better.
TEAM BAY AREA / Team Wipe Me Down / TEAM WARRIORS / SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS​
U have no idea bro...I was going there almost every other day. Get Fire Roasted Steak (comes w/caesar dressing, carmelized onions) with pepperjack cheese on Dutch Crunch and avocado. Fuuuuu! i think i'm going tmo. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HoYiTsApNoYbOy

Originally Posted by 650

Is Little Luca's that great? I usually go to Mr. Pickles here in San Mateo and I haven't had better.
U have no idea bro...I was going there almost every other day. Get Fire Roasted Steak (comes w/caesar dressing, carmelized onions) with pepperjack cheese on Dutch Crunch and avocado. Fuuuuu! i think i'm going tmo. 
pimp.gif
Dude.....people who love Mr. Pickles basically just havent been to enough places to know any better.  At least thats my thought.  Because Mr. Pickles isnt that good, period.
Darby Dan's  >  Mr. Pickles

Little Luca's  > Mr. Pickles

Bonne Sante > Mr. Pickles

Ike's > Mr. Pickles

Plaza Gourmet > Mr. Pickles (not by much though 
laugh.gif
)

Jersey Joes > Mr. Pickles

And these are all spots within 15 miles of Mr. Pickles.

make sure you hit up
TEKKA (if you can ever look it up) kinda pricey though
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and RED DOOR CAFE
both in San Francisco

CAFE BRAZIL in Santa Cruz
pimp.gif

I started working in San Mateo two months ago and I passed by mr. pickles and thought it sounded familiar, but didn't know where I heard of it from and come to find out it was from this thread.
laugh.gif

Anybody wanna recommend some good eats in San Mateo (near hillsdale mall)? I've been going to the same few places, especially whole foods since it's like a 2 minute walk from my office.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Originally Posted by derrty6232

I started working in San Mateo two months ago and I passed by mr. pickles and thought it sounded familiar, but didn't know where I heard of it from and come to find out it was from this thread.
laugh.gif

Anybody wanna recommend some good eats in San Mateo (near hillsdale mall)? I've been going to the same few places, especially whole foods since it's like a 2 minute walk from my office.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Santa Ramen

Shabuway

Went to Ikes today got the #6 and #22 the "Say hey Kid" both were well worth the 20 minute wait in line.

theres this spot me and my dad go to when were working in Los Gatos. It's a small little burger joint named happy hound. It's delicious

^ I looooove that spicy garlic sauce they put on their sammiches.

...and SF heads, hit up Superstar on Mission for a hidden gem. They got the cheapest plates (all the cilogs and more). Plan to spend $3-4 total. Been going there since the early 90s.

Originally Posted by Retrosniipes

^ I looooove that spicy garlic sauce they put on their sammiches.

...and SF heads, hit up Superstar on Mission for a hidden gem. They got the cheapest plates (all the cilogs and more). Plan to spend $3-4 total. Been going there since the early 90s.

damn, thats old shool homie. that takes me back to grade school. i havent been there lately since movin out to Vallejo tho

superstar > lucky chances

I'm heading to the Bay this weekend, and was wondering where I can have the best Pho. I've so many different opinions, but I just wanted to see what you guys think.

Originally Posted by DsLee559

I'm heading to the Bay this weekend, and was wondering where I can have the best Pho. I've so many different opinions, but I just wanted to see what you guys think.
I like Vietnam 2, http://www.yelp.com/biz/v...estaurant-san-francisco, but of course they got horrible service like most Asian places. 

Has any one tried "The Boiling Crab," in San Jose yet?  I know it's good but had friends that didn't want to wait 1hr to get seated which I thought wasn't bad since there is a Target across the way in same lot. 

I recommend Yogurtland if any one likes yogurt.  Too bad they are only located in San Jose and Berkeley and not S.F. yet.  Fell in love with this place after trying it in So Cal. 

^

I have yet to try Boiling Crab, I hear a lot about it from all my friends. But I am thinking it's probably just one of those over hyped places just like Wingstop when they first opened over here in Union City.

Originally Posted by ggggggonzo

^

I have yet to try Boiling Crab, I hear a lot about it from all my friends. But I am thinking it's probably just one of those over hyped places just like Wingstop when they first opened over here in Union City.
it is just that an overhyped place.  Basically a bunch of oil in everything.  If you don't want to wait one hour go try craw daddy.  Same food with less wait and its about 5 miles from boiling crab.

I didn't know there was a Baby Blues BBQ(as featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) in SF until I went to the one in Venice, CA. Anyone been there?

Back
Top Bottom