NT, at what age did you start your career?

Got the ball rolling at 19 and got into at 20. I'll be 28 this year and haven't looked back. Realize that not everyone's story will be the same, use others a reference and do you!

I graduated w/ my Bachelors in Business in 4 years, had fun with some low paying/high profile jobs for 1.5 years (PR internship w/ Interscope Geffen A&M; part time event marketing w/ NBA affiliate). I settled into my "career" in Human Resources at 23-24 and I'm now 30 working at a Fortune 50 company.

There were definitely MANY times in my twenties and even today that I envied peers who had the "cooler" sounding jobs (note "jobs"). Trust, NOBODY will ever be impressed at the bar/club when I say that I work in HR, regardless of income/title/company. I'm ok with that. There is still a part of me that wants to roll the dice on a more risky situation like a startup company, where I can have an "executive" title and additional perks, and I might try that in the future. But at this point, I'm more focused on being a good family man and friend; not living to work.

I don't mean to dampen anyone's ambition, because I still have it and when I was in my 20's I had a boat load. I guess what I'm saying is not everyone can be Kobe. You've got to have a Derek Fisher or even a Devean George on the team. Sometimes the question is whether you'd want to be the one taking 30 shots a game for the Bobcats or playing 10 years coming off the bench for the Lakers. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but don't feel ashamed of taking the "safe" route especially if your decision effects dependents. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom