NT Bloggers, web guru's, Wordpress users, where do you host your sites? (Affordability, Reliability)

I'm starting a wordpress blog and have my domain purchased but would like to host it seperately from their servers. What are some web hosting services you guys recommend. This is a new blog which I don't expect to get too much traffic initially so $15/mo would be my absolute maximum.

For all your hosting needs, DreamHost is where it's at. Best value, reliable servers, and great customer support. If you're serious sticking thru the whole year you'll take advantage of the yearly plan, which comes to ($9.95/month).

*promo: bgreat

Thanks for the info guys, I'm comparing pricing around right now.

What about siteground or bluehost, anyone familiar with those?

Why not just used Wordpress's hosting? Is it cause of the price or is their something wrong with it? I purchased it for my blog but never knew if their was a better option.

Is godaddy.com a decent service?

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Why not just used Wordpress's hosting? Is it cause of the price or is their something wrong with it? I purchased it for my blog but never knew if their was a better option.

OP probably wants their own domain name. I've heard some iffy stuff about Go Daddy's services, but don't just take my word for it. You can find tons of reviews if you just Google different web hosting services. I can only vouch for Host Gator because it's the only one I've used after a friends recommended it and their customer support is excellent.

Well part of it is I wanted to familiarize myself with the process of having separate hosting for future endeavors. My friends who have had godaddy before have had issues with their support etc, thats why I'm weary of them, I've only purchased domains from them before.

I dunno how serious are you about your blog. But if you do any SEO on your site, I'd avoid GoDaddy. I found them to be pretty annoying. Then again, you already have your domain purchased so this doesn't matter. I use bluehost for all of my wordpress blogs. They have great uptime, speed, support, and they are fairly cheap. You can often find deals to lessen the cost of hosting to like $60 a year. You get to host unlimited domains etc. Check them out.

Originally Posted by Hizzle

OP probably wants their own domain name. I've heard some iffy stuff about Go Daddy's services, but don't just take my word for it. You can find tons of reviews if you just Google different web hosting services. I can only vouch for Host Gator because it's the only one I've used after a friends recommended it and their customer support is excellent.

I have my own domain name through Wordpress. I've never had any real issues with it and it's all under one site which I like. I think in the 3 years that I have been blogging, I only had 2 issues and one was just some resizing issues on my photos.

Oh...also I use Wordpress.com and not wordpress.org. I know .org is the more legit one and I am not sure if you have to use another service to get your own domain. Anyone have experience transfering from wordpress.com to wordpress.org? I kind of want to jump into more legit CCS coding but everytime I read about how to migrate it all, I just get lazy and end up staying where I am.

Originally Posted by Hizzle

I have my own domain name through Wordpress. I've never had any real issues with it and it's all under one site which I like. I think in the 3 years that I have been blogging, I only had 2 issues and one was just some resizing issues on my photos.

Oh...also I use Wordpress.com and not wordpress.org. I know .org is the more legit one and I am not sure if you have to use another service to get your own domain. Anyone have experience transfering from wordpress.com to wordpress.org? I kind of want to jump into more legit CCS coding but everytime I read about how to migrate it all, I just get lazy and end up staying where I am.

Switching to wordpress.org means switching to your own host, I think. I had a popular blog on Wordpress.com at one point. Many people decide to switch because you cannot monetize your content as freely. For example, for me to use Google Adsense to make money off my content, I'll have to give Wordpress.com half of the profit. On my own host, I get to keep all of the profits. Transferring from Wordpress.com to .org... I'm not sure. I'm guessing you'd have to transfer all of your posts, which might mess with your traffic if you get any. 

I use HostGator foy my webhost. Reason being is, I was super broke at the time and they offered month-by-month webhosting. I came across some problems since I had no knowledge of transferring my domain to them. They ended up providing great support and I 100% stand by them. For alternatives, bluehost and dreamhost are also great.

Currently, I'm using wordpress but the domain mapping (on wordpress) is fine for my website at least for now. But yeah co-sign on what other have already said hostgator is preferably a good one.

Bump. Currently looking for a hosting site
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom