NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Talked to my homeboy from back in the day and we got to talking about books. He gave me a list of some titles to check. Just wondering if any of yall have read any of the following and if so which should i start with?

Manning Marable- Malcome X, A life of reinvention

Cornel West- Brother West

Gregory David Roberts- Shataram

Joel Bakan- The Corporation

Ngugi Wa Thiongo- The Devil on the Cross

Mumia Abu Jamal- Live from Death Row,

Albert Memmi- The Colonizer and the Colonized

John Perkins- Confessions of an Economic Hitman

James Baldwin- The Evidence of Things not Seen

Ta-Nehisi Coates- Between the World and Me

Started this the other day...

Teaching gatsby for the next few weeks. One of the few times I'll actually call something a masterpiece. So beautifully written with such amazing vocabulary.

Went to the library the other day, had them place order for a buncha books i listed before. Listening to audiobook of "Manchild of the Promised Land"- Claude Brown in the mean time.

Got some of the books on my hit list. About halfway through this one so far.

Listening to this

And got this on the back burner for when im done with the first 2.

Librarian told me the James Baldwin joint should be here in a week or so. If you told me few yrs ago that id be excited for some books to come in id look at u like u crazy :lol:

Picked up the kite runner at a thrift shop today for $1..hopefully it's as good as the reviews

Wife never read Harry Potter so I got her the audiobooks and she's enjoying them so far.

Anyone else use Kindle Unlimited? I think its a decent service for book readers who don't mind digital books. Trying out loads of books I'd never pick up if I had to pay full price.

Got some of the books on my hit list. About halfway through this one so far.

Listening to this

And got this on the back burner for when im done with the first 2.

Librarian told me the James Baldwin joint should be here in a week or so. If you told me few yrs ago that id be excited for some books to come in id look at u like u crazy
laugh.gif
Since you got Manning Marable's book, you definitely need to read the book that critiques to his work.

Since you got Manning Marable's book, you definitely need to read the book that critiques to his work.

Good looks. Gonna peep that but i havent started the malcolm x joint yet. Started The Devil on the Cross since its an interlibrary loan and for some reason they wont let me renew it. Tryna knock that out before the due date but ima keep this in mind for after. Appreciate it!

Good looks. Gonna peep that but i havent started the malcolm x joint yet. Started The Devil on the Cross since its an interlibrary loan and for some reason they wont let me renew it. Tryna knock that out before the due date but ima keep this in mind for after. Appreciate it!
No problem. It's gonna take some time to work through that Marable book. It really is a dense read, but it's a good one. A Lie of reinvention balances it out imo.

ight fellas, Im gettin tired of watching netflx when Im bored.

What are some good books to read? Im talking about entertaining books. Can be any genre really. Entertainment is key haha

Currently reading between the world and me and gonna be teaching the bluest eye next week.

I finished "Evidence of Things Not Seen" by James Baldwin. I remember you recommended Baldwin from that list i posted a while back. I enjoyed it, which of his works would you recommend to read next?

Picked up Ready Player One, Ghost in the Wires, and The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing on some recommendations. Now to find the time to knock these out.

I just finished this and I swear this joint will have you at work feeling evil.
LOL. Very good read only have a few laws that I apply to my life. How is Art of Seduction? Not sure If I want to pick that up yet. This is my next read:

Just finished 'The Brothers Karamazov.' I absolutely loved it. It took a few months to get through though, but it's well worth the read :tongue:

Currently reading between the world and me and gonna be teaching the bluest eye next week.

I finished "Evidence of Things Not Seen" by James Baldwin. I remember you recommended Baldwin from that list i posted a while back. I enjoyed it, which of his works would you recommend to read next?
Honestly haven't read as much Baldwin as I should. But some other books you might enjoy from other authors are: White Teeth, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Beloved and The Bluest Eye. Between the world and me is a great new read. More of a personal narrative as it's a letter from a father to son about what life is like for African Americans in America.

Last edited:
ight fellas, Im gettin tired of watching netflx when Im bored.

What are some good books to read? Im talking about entertaining books. Can be any genre really. Entertainment is key haha

All jokes aside...I was gonna suggest maybe read some palahniuk..and coincidentally..ur screen name is Tyler durden :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom