NT Car Heads, help me diagnosis my car.

1990 Honda Accord
Auto
185k miles

My beater shakes pretty bad at 60mph on the FWY. This started happening about a months ago. It'll shake all the way till 80mph and the shakes wills calmdown or completely stop. At 70mph the shakes aren't that bad but as the car gains more speed it'll shake some more. I already had the a front and rearalignment done about 2 weeks ago. Had all 4 tires balance a month ago and rebalanced 2 weeks ago. I had the tires check, they are fine, no bumps in the tire orthread showing. There is little wear on them but nothing unusual. The shaking doesn't happen all the time, I can get to 70mph no problem or even 80mph butall the sudden the car shakes again. Sometimes the shaking can get ridiculous, earthquake in my car! I don't feel it in the steering and it's a strongshake that starts front the frond end.

I did take my car to Good Year and they said I may need to replace my left CV Joint, but could that cause the problem? The boot is still on the CV joint and itlooks fine too me. What else can cause this type of shaking? Every place I go to wants to charge me $85 - $90 to JUST diagnosis
eek.gif

Honda-tech.com

My thoughts....You need new motor mounts...I've had quite a few hondas...could be wrong tho

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Honda-tech.com

My thoughts....You need new motor mounts...I've had quite a few hondas...could be wrong tho

I knew you'd be all over this one...
laugh.gif

Honda-tech.com

That's the first place I been too
laugh.gif
. I actually been to most of the (good) Honda forums and your the first person to tell me motor mounts.I thought that at one point but wasnt for sure if that was the issue.

RL Treyce wrote:
Honda-tech.com

it sounds like thats your problem. also check your racking pinon.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

Honda-tech.com

motor mounts ?
roll.gif

whats the joke sir?? ive had this issue....the motor not being in place cause the body of the car to shake......
eyes.gif
...what are your thoughts on the issue?

Thanks guys for the help so far! I'm new to the Honda scene, I don't know crap about them, well I know the RSX pretty well and the new Civic SI but notthese older cars
ohwell.gif

IMPORTKING wrote:

RL Treyce wrote:

Honda-tech.com

motor mounts ?
roll.gif

whats the joke sir?? ive had this issue....the motor not being in place cause the body of the car to shake......
eyes.gif
...what are your thoughts on the issue?

this is exactly wat i was gonna say might be ur motor mounts the homie RSX had the same probably until the mounts just popped off complete
smh.gif
not the safestway to drive but hey it was his car
laugh.gif

also have you gotten an oil change?? it could be the that you are lackin oil and the pistons maybe rubbing metel to metel which is also not a good look!!!

but based off wat ive read motor mounts is wat it sounds like specially for the type of car and how many mile you have ...

to start off...check to see if all four tires have the balance weight on the rim...check that first...
don't tell me you race...

It's much more likely to be something in your suspension - worn bushings or the like.

If they told you your CV joint is worn then that would be a good place to start.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

to start off...check to see if all four tires have the balance weight on the rim...check that first...
don't tell me you race...
Yes, they do and no, I don't race this car.

Have you looked at your suspension at all, maybe you have a blown shock or strut. Don't know much about Honda but mght as well throw this out there.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

does the shaking stop when you let off the gas?
Yes. Car runs fine (although I'm slowing down), depending on what speed I'm at, I can build up speed with no or lil to shaking or I willget rough shaking all over the car, in some cases the speedo won't even move till [insert speed here] I let off the gas.

hmm i thought it'd be balancing but i guess that's not the problem...don't you have a evo though? or is this just a second car as a beater?

do you hear any clicking or feel any slack upon acceleration from the cv joint? if not, i'd probably disregard unless someone can tell u that the axleabsolutely needs to be replaced. I'd like to say it sounds like it could be strut or bushing related, but you've already had the alignment done...andbushings, steering, suspension etc are the first things checked before an alignment is performed. The only thing i can think of at this point is the steeringrack...but see if you can have all the steering links, bushings and suspension checked over. Sway bar link bushings being broken is common on a honda and cangive that kind of shaking...but like i said...I hope whoever's been working on this car have thoroughly looked it over.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

hi,

check your struts & rest of your suspension also your axel.
beat me to it.

no one else quoted you.. so they must not know a lot
grin.gif

sup man.

sounds like your motor mounts are old and worn, i've had that case with my brother's civic. also i'd try checking the strut assembly. if your carshakes that bad like an earthquake then i wouldnt recommend you drive the car at high speeds. it can also be something small like lug nuts not tighten all theway.

let me know if you need assistance cuz im in the bay also.

superhonda > honda-tech

Balljoints caused my e30 to shake just like you described.

Back
Top Bottom