NT Chefs, I got a few questions for you???

So my wife is planing on attending Le Cordon Bleu in Vegas next spring in hopes of one day being an executive chef or even opening our own restaurant and I just had a few questions for you guys before she enrolls...

1. If you have skills in cooking already is culinary school really necessary??? I mean tuition at Le Cordon Bleu is like $40,000+ for 12 months
2. Without getting too much into details, Are you working a job that you're content with? Basically are you happy with how much you're making and what you're doing?
3. Is it hard to find work?

I'm only asking cause this is a big commitment that she's gonna make which will not only affect her but myself aswell( I'm gonna put down 25% of tuition in cash). She's already an admin asst. at a Medical Center and makes pretty good money as is, but she has a passion for culinary arts and the thought of being her own boss is something she's really looking forward to. Besides, her dad used to be a chef so he's already given her his blessings in this drastic career change.

Any insight that current Chefs can give will be very much appreciated, Thanks in advance... Oh, and if we ever open our own spot in Vegas you know I'm showing NT love...
pimp.gif

No it shouldn't be too hard to find work if you have a Chef's degree. But is she going to get a bachlors anywhere? Can she just graduate from La Cordon Bleu and be qualified to be a chef exec? If she were to run her own restaurant it would be different.

I'm a line cook and I've talked to numerous co-workers about Culinary Arts School and if it's worth it and most of the times the answers I got were No.
I guess it's good for obtaining your diploma so you have a higher chance of getting a job opposed to someone who doesn't, but the cooks I talked to who have theirs are going back to school because they're not making enough money. I'm still thinking about enrolling myself. I know a few Chef's who made a pretty good career out of it and a few who are still struggling. But I'm sure your wife will have no problem finding a position in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

No it shouldn't be too hard to find work if you have a Chef's degree. But is she going to get a bachlors anywhere? Can she just graduate from La Cordon Bleu and be qualified to be a chef exec? If she were to run her own restaurant it would be different.
Nah she's not gonna get a bachelor's... She was told by the counselor that all she would need is the associates degree for what she's trying to achieve. So yeah she'd qualify to be an executive chef right out of school.

Originally Posted by its Labrev

I'm a line cook and I've talked to numerous co-workers about Culinary Arts School and if it's worth it and most of the times the answers I got were No.
I guess it's good for obtaining your diploma so you have a higher chance of getting a job opposed to someone who doesn't, but the cooks I talked to who have theirs are going back to school because they're not making enough money. I'm still thinking about enrolling myself. I know a few Chef's who made a pretty good career out of it and a few who are still struggling. But I'm sure your wife will have no problem finding a position in Vegas.

Thanks for the info.

So is cooking your career??? How long have you been in the business?

imo, i think those schools are a sham. i know CIA graduates making $11 an hour. also, i hear the job market in vegas is not looking good right now in the restaurant business.

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

Iono about that one I know a couple people that went to La Cordon and they're having some troubles finding that job

It's a complicated question to answer. I'm 23 and I've been cooking in restaurants since I was 16. I've been a garmage/banquet cook/line cook/prep cook/etc. at a country club for the last 3 and half years.

Getting a degree will definitely help her getting a loan when she wants to open her own restaurant. It should also help her make more money in the mean time, but you also have to factor in the fact that she's dropping $40K, so you really have to crunch the numbers to figure out if it's worth it in that aspect. She will NOT get an exec chef position straight out of school. Our sous chef has a degree and 15+ years experience and has never been a head chef. Some get that position sooner than others, but in fine dining, you gotta put in your time and pay your dues. She might be able to get a head chef position at like a chain restaurant, but I don't really know. It's still doubtful.

I plan on opening my own restaurant within the next 5-10 years and I don't plan on going to culinary school. I've been fortunate enough to learn from the chefs I work with (i.e. getting paid to learn) so I don't really have any desire to drop that kind of cash. There's so many resources out there, you can learn on your own, but that piece of paper does matter to some folks.

I have no idea what your girl's cooking background/experience looks like, so I can't really answer that question. Getting a job right now is VERY competitive, even with a degree. If she has a cooking job she likes right now, I'd stay put and just gain experience and gradually work your way up, cause a degree does NOT guarantee a better job and more money.

1. If you have skills in cooking already is culinary school reallynecessary??? I mean tuition at Le Cordon Bleu is like $40,000+ for 12months

No, not necessary at all. Cordon bleu has a great rep so you are paying for that. Ive managed a kitchen before so I got to talk to 2-3 executive chefs and a whole mess of line cooks. Basically what you learn in that program, if its the same as the Pasadena one, is how to manage a kitchen, put together a fluid menu. They do focus on the business side of things since most chefs are horrible with that stuff. How to keep costs low, recipe costs, labor costs, spoilage. They also cook alot in the latter portion of the months. Breads and sauces and meats. All of it can be learned in actual job experience.

2. Without getting too much into details, Are you working ajob that you're content with? Basically are you happy with how muchyou're making and what you're doing?
Im managaing a hotel bar kitchen now. 3 employees and a super simple menu. From talking to people before, its a love/hate thing. They might love to cook, but you usually have to pay dues to move up.Building connections, staff and ideas take time and alot of people get frustrated and start getting bitter and burnt out fast. I was at one point working 12 hr days 7 days a week fopr months and I know the chef was working beyond that. And he was on salary so no overtime for him. Front of house always makes more money than kitchen staff and we are usually bitter about that too.
3. Is it hard to find work?
Cordon blue has an awesome network, that should not be a problem if you dont mind relocation. It could be resorts in Caribbean or overseas in France. Regular folks might be a more tricky but its doable but of course you'll get paid basic wages.

I never wanted to be in this industry but it was a good learning experience. Tell your wife to get ready to be working with illegals, drug users and alcoholics. Putting in a ton of blood sweat and tears and her work getting unappreciated. Getting yelled at for thing outta her control and then doin it all over again the next day for years on end. Chefs are never really their own boss till they open up their own spot, even then they have investors and creditors to respond to.

Well to be positive for a minute.You said her dad was a chef, why not use his network and contacts to set her up with something. She could work for free for awhile and be under an executive chef and learn it that way and build up her own style. Also she can see if the passion is the same at the end. If it is and makes her happy then I say go for it. Passion isnt something you can get at school.

Back
Top Bottom