NT don't mess with Bob Marley? vol. Official Reggae/Dance Hall Thread!

I heard yesterday on Sirius Reggae station that there's going to be two books coming out in the next few months about Peter Tosh. One is a biography and the other was described by the DJ as an "appreciation. If your a fan of his, which I am, the books may be something to look out for.

Here are some good books about reggae.

Lloyd Bradley's This Is Reggae Music: The Story of Jamaica's Music. Probably the best book to get.

Chris Salewicz's book is more a coffee table book. Not as comprehensive as Bradley's. Lots of nice photos though.

If your looking for a great compilation of music, check out VP Reggae's Reggae Golden Jubilee - Origins Of Jamaican Music - 50Th Anniversary.

Compiles 100 of the most significant reggae songs from Ska & Rocksteady, roots & dancehall. I've recommended this compilation in this thread last year when the anniversary occurred.

http://www.vpreggae.com/REGGAE-GOLDEN-JUBILEE-ORIGINS-OF-JAMAICAN-MUSIC-50-p/vp1963.2.htm

^^^ Thanks, PSK. I think I'll check out that Lloyd Bradley book. Looks really interesting.

Tessane Chin - You Got What I Need & By My Side (Third World & Tessanne Chin)

This thread needed a bump & since this fine Kingston girl won The Voice, had to post some of her gems. I actually saw her years ago singing back up for Jimmy Cliff. She stood out being Asian & I thought she was fine...

Bunji Garlin - Differentology

Posting some Soca... Also postin' Busta Rhymes laying down some rhymes on the track. Lighter, lighter, lighter!!!! Buk buk buk...

The Beat - The Door Of Your Heart

Known as the English Beat stateside. Not straight reggae/ska but I love this song especially Ranking Rodger & Saxa...

The Specials - Ghost Town

Love this song too... Some of you might remember this from the Snatch soundtrack... Love that alot of these UK bands from the late 70s & early 80s incorporated raga rhythms into their sound. The Clash is my favorite rock band...

^^^ Funny you posted that. I was actually going to ask you what you thought of some of the more heavily reggae influenced rock bands like the Clash and the Police. They're among my favorite rock artists.

I have several songs from the English Beat and Specials downloaded. Good stuff.

Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves (& Clash version)

I don't like a lot of these newer bands like Sublime, 311, etc. Too vanilla for my tastes. I think I've posted the Clash in here before... They've done a lot of reggae covers in the studio & live. They were big rap fans too. When they first toured the US, they had Grand Master Flash & the Furious 5 open for them on the East coast. They were way ahead of their time...

Danny Ray - Revolution Rock (& Clash version)

Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves (& Clash version)

I don't like a lot of these newer bands like Sublime, 311, etc. Too vanilla for my tastes.

I'm with you, although I do like some Sublime stuff. They were at they're peak when I was in college and I think I associate some good memories with Sublime songs. I actually saw them play live at a college frat party (they were terrible that night). That was probably just a few months before the lead singer died. Shame.

But bands like 311, Linkin Park, etc. do nothing for me.

Fabian - Prophecy (extended version)

Man, my brother in-law just texted me stating Faybiene Miranda passed away last month. She was a poet/activist/& sometimes singer who was married to Steel Pulse guitarist Moonie Pusey. We actually had the opportunity to meet & chat with her several times years ago at various festivals... She was a beautiful & talented lady... RIP...

Bob Marley - She's Gone

Beres Hammond - Can't Stop A Man & What One Dance Can Do

Last edited:
Sister Nancy - Bam Bam

This song never gets old. Such a classic. When my 10 year old son was 4 or 5, he used to do a little shuffle to this song. He loved this song...

Chezidek - All My Life

Something a little newer...

Last edited:
VIDEO]

Kind of poppy, but a cool song. Some times I feel like I don't want to like Sean Paul, but he makes some catchy songs. I also really like Estelle's voice.

Back
Top Bottom