#NT Finance/Econ/Business Majors. Anyone ever intern for a non-finance company?

So today I applied for two internships at a Fortune 500 Company that isn't a financial services/consulting/investment/etc. company.  They're still finance-related and in departments not directly related with the end product of the company. Anyone ever done one? What was the experience like? 

Interned in the finance department of an advertising agency...now I work full-time at another one...

Perfect work environment - casual dress, young people, laid back atmosphere, fine females galore
pimp.gif

Don't limit yourself fam, there's opportunities in finance literally everywhere and in every type of industry....pick the work environment that suits you best and go from there..

I'm actually interning this summer at Motorola as a Business and Marketing Intelligence Intern. Economics major btw.

Anyone have any experience interning there or experience in a position like that in a different firm?

chances are you wouldnt be paid as well as interning at an actual financial institution (I interned in the accounting department at an engineering firm)

but you'd probably have a much easier/more fun work experience

If it's possible try getting a job at a bank.
I'm a management major and I currently work for a bank in the Greater Cincinnati area and they have a management training program that other companies salivate over.

Once I graduate I'm going through the program and everyone that has done it gets calls from all sorts of Fortune 500 companies in the area trying to recruit them.
pimp.gif

Not every bank will have that kind of perk, but the financial aspects + sales and people skills you acquire while working there will carry on with you wherever you go.

Originally Posted by scmtkings4

chances are you wouldnt be paid as well as interning at an actual financial institution (I interned in the accounting department at an engineering firm)

They're actually both quite well paid (not as much as Goldman, and JP Morgan iB ones but I also don't have NYC cost-of-living). 

Flightwhite- I don't want to sound like an %** but I know plenty of people who have done Bank Management Trainee programs directly out of college. Not one of them enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by scmtkings4

They're actually both quite well paid (not as much as Goldman, and JP Morgan iB ones but I also don't have NYC cost-of-living). 

Flightwhite- I don't want to sound like an %** but I know plenty of people who have done Bank Management Trainee programs directly out of college. Not one of them enjoyed it.

Well I never said it was enjoyable lol
With that being said, it definitely helps you out long term with who you know and getting your foot in the door.

Internships are hard to come by these days so you have to take what you can get.

Fortune 500 is garbage. It's just a brand. It'll be more corporate than you think, and can even present a very negative work environment for yourself. In my opinion, people at smaller institutions have a better balance of things.

In reality, what you need to do is stick with your field of study. If not, why even bother? I understand that you have to make a living but you're never going to find the perfect scenario. Still, what you can do is find work that's transferable. Look at experiences that can help you in other opportunities. Finding that first employment is very vital for a graduate. It took me nearly 1 year before I found my position, but since then I've solidified myself and have grown confident that I can transfer to 'any' sector, primarily in the financial/banking sector.

A lot of people I talked to brag about their 'cruise' jobs. They tell me how they are w/ some 'company' and that they spend time all day on youtube. In reality, they are disintegrating themselves and in due time, these people will have 'NO FUTURE'. What you need to realize is that hard work does pay off, and that you should challenge yourself.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Fortune 500 is garbage. It's just a brand. It'll be more corporate than you think, and can even present a very negative work environment for yourself. In my opinion, people at smaller institutions have a better balance of things.

In reality, what you need to do is stick with your field of study. If not, why even bother? I understand that you have to make a living but you're never going to find the perfect scenario. Still, what you can do is find work that's transferable. Look at experiences that can help you in other opportunities. Finding that first employment is very vital for a graduate. It took me nearly 1 year before I found my position, but since then I've solidified myself and have grown confident that I can transfer to 'any' sector, primarily in the financial/banking sector.

A lot of people I talked to brag about their 'cruise' jobs. They tell me how they are w/ some 'company' and that they spend time all day on youtube. In reality, they are disintegrating themselves and in due time, these people will have 'NO FUTURE'. What you need to realize is that hard work does pay off, and that you should challenge yourself.
1246797_o.gif

Did you even read my post? 
laugh.gif
 It seems like you just saw Finance in the title and decided you'd come in here to give yourself a pat on the back and hype yourself up.

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

1246797_o.gif

Did you even read my post? 
laugh.gif
 It seems like you just saw Finance in the title and decided you'd come in here to give yourself a pat on the back and hype yourself up.

I don't need hype on my end.  I came in here to give you my 2 cents and to contribute.  Maybe you should re-read, or rather, -comprehend- my post.  The point I'm trying to make is; is for you to be in a field where you can apply your field of study.  People like you don't want to defer to those who have been there, and you can't seem to separate what's genuine and what's not.

I've seen a lot of people in those majors.  Every 6 months, a batch of rooks get pumped out into the system, and in that time frame, not too many get to work in their field of study.  Ask yourself, if you're sturdying finance, what would being a security guard at GS do for you? LOL

Interned at the Business Development department at Pfizer. I feel like its more beneficial than strictly interning at banks/firms. the experience is more relaxing and laid back and i learned about diff fields. Most of my friends were miserable working 40+ hours at firms like pwc, e&y, but the paychecks were a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom