NT Gym Heads...School me on becoming built

Okay so I used to play sports in high school but ever since I got to college, I pretty much stopped all physical activity. On top of that, I started smoking cigarettes so I became skinny as +#*+. I'm a sophomore in college now but I'm taking a year off from school and figured it was the perfect time to get in shape...Or get built. So let's say for a whole year, I was to go to a gym for an hour (30 minutes running the treadmill and 30 minutes lifting weights) every day, would I be significantly built by the end of the year?

Edit: I also wanna know what's your routine when you go to the gym and how often do you go?

OH MAN! There must not be an entire 100+ thread dedicated to this exact same subject on Niketalk General in 2010 this week today?!?!?!

Be a man and SQUAT!

People who dont squat arent real weightlifters.

You wanna put on serious muscle? Squat.

Deadlifts and benchpress too.

Big numbers and the right food intake = guaranteed results

Honestly man, getting big is all about exercise until you get to the 10-12% body fat region, then that becomes all about how well you balance your diet with exercise and macronutrition (amount of protein vs. carbohydrates vs. fat). I used to be a fattie in high school until i got to college and i must have triggered some form of ADHD somewhere, because I need to remain active, as long as youre lifting weights at least 3x a week, the hunger will follow suit, and as long as youre eating, you'll gain the weight.

My typical regimen goes like this:

Monday - Chest & Triceps
BB Bench Press - 3 sets (1 set at 75% of body weight, 2nd at 80-85% and 3rd at 90%+)
DB Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Cable Crosses - 2 sets x 12 reps
DB Decline Flies - 2 sets x 10 reps
Weighted Dips - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Standing Tricep Extension - 3 x 8-10 reps
French Curl - 2 x 8-10
Close Grip Bench Press - 2 sets x 8 reps.

Tuesday - Back & Biceps
BB Bent Row - 3 sets x 10 reps @ 135 lbs
Seated Row - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets x 8-12 reps
Chin Ups - 2 sets x 5 reps
Hammer Curls - 2 sets x 5 reps each arm
EZ Bar Preachers Curls - 2 sets x 8 reps

Wednesday - Shoulders & Legs
Military Press - 3 x 8-12reps
Arnolds - 2 x 6-10 reps
DB Lateral Raises - 3 x 8-12 reps
DB Reverse Flies - 3 x 8- 12
Standing Row - 2 x 10 reps
DB Shrugs - 3 x rep to fatigue
BB Squat - 3 x 10 reps
DB Lounges - 3 x 5 reps per leg
Romanian Deadlifts - 3 x 5 reps (meant to be a heavy weight exercise,... learn the form before adding weights, much pressure on the lower back)
Leg Press - 3x10reps
Leg Extension - 2 x 8-12 reps
Leg Curl - 2 x 8 - 12 reps

Thursday is my cardio day, i usually aim to
Run 2 miles in 15:00 or less
Row 3500 meters in 15:00 or less
Climb 1500 ft (Versaclimber) or .75 miles (stairmaster) in 15:00 or less
Taking 7:30 break or less between the exercises

Friday I go back in for a full body + Core work out that I do compound exercises for each muscle group, usually consisting of
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Dips
Squats
Deadlifts
Hyperextensions,
Roman Chair Leg Lifts
Exercise Ball Hip Raises & Crunches

.......and I swim 1500m every day on top of all that.

Originally Posted by Club29

Be a man and SQUAT!

People who dont squat arent real weightlifters.

You wanna put on serious muscle? Squat.

Deadlifts and benchpress too.

Big numbers and the right food intake = guaranteed results

Deadlifts, Cleans, Squats and Bench are top mass builders. 
if you want to get bigger faster, stick to those as much as possible 

Aight so Club, specifically Club (cuz I actually care what he has to say)... I melted off the pounds via weed and unintentional starvation. Now I just wanna gain a LITTLE tone. I'm fairly sexy from the chest up, but my waistline is so oddy-body
laugh.gif
. I feel like I look like Millhouse Vanhouten. I'm soooooo not gonna run cuz my knees, joints, AND feet do really bad with impact... so... what??? Mind you I'm not tryna be one of those beefy short guys that looks like he's compensating. I just wanna be a little more tightened I guess..

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Aight so Club, specifically Club (cuz I actually care what he has to say)... I melted off the pounds via weed and unintentional starvation. Now I just wanna gain a LITTLE tone. I'm fairly sexy from the chest up, but my waistline is so oddy-body
laugh.gif
. I feel like I look like Millhouse Vanhouten. I'm soooooo not gonna run cuz my knees, joints, AND feet do really bad with impact... so... what??? Mind you I'm not tryna be one of those beefy short guys that looks like he's compensating. I just wanna be a little more tightened I guess..

Swim, no pressure what-so-ever on the joints and a full body workout with extra emphasis on the core. Either that or an elliptical/Arc Trainer... but not as stress-free + you'll be competing against broads for cardio machine time 

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Okay so I used to play sports in high school but ever since I got to college, I pretty much stopped all physical activity. On top of that, I started smoking cigarettes so I became skinny as +#*+. I'm a sophomore in college now but I'm taking a year off from school and figured it was the perfect time to get in shape...Or get built. So let's say for a whole year, I was to go to a gym for an hour (30 minutes running the treadmill and 30 minutes lifting weights) every day, would I be significantly built by the end of the year?

Edit: I also wanna know what's your routine when you go to the gym and how often do you go?
STEROIDS!!!!!

You need core work-out routines with stable eating regiments. I used to be skinny just like you, I'm at my year point now actually (april) and I've made huge results. Stay off the treadmill BTW. Eat healthy, and a lot I mean a lot, your first 6 months of bulking will be stomach bloating in a good way, though.

How can a former athlete stop working out completely?

you make no sense, former fatty, present fatty, and future fatty.

if you had slightest motivation, you would have searched the web and easily found sites.

Originally Posted by HigherGround

How can a former athlete stop working out completely?

you make no sense, former fatty, present fatty, and future fatty.

if you had slightest motivation, you would have searched the web and easily found sites.

Did you read my post? I said I'm skinny as +*+#.

I never lifted weights when I played sports so I just stayed in shape but never became built.

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

You need core work-out routines with stable eating regiments. I used to be skinny just like you, I'm at my year point now actually (april) and I've made huge results. Stay off the treadmill BTW. Eat healthy, and a lot I mean a lot, your first 6 months of bulking will be stomach bloating in a good way, though.
Why stay off the treadmill, cause he'll be burning calories?

tkay dot wrote:
Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

laugh.gif

Swim, no pressure what-so-ever on the joints and a full body workout with extra emphasis on the core. Either that or an elliptical/Arc Trainer... but not as stress-free + you'll be competing against broads for cardio machine time 
eyes.gif

Kidding.. hey, I love swimming! thanks..
pimp.gif

My main priority right now is my upper body. I don't care for my legs as much because they're actually pretty built but my arms, abs, chest, shoulders...All that needs work.

if u wanna get built i wouldn't recommend workin out everyday, i usually do 2 days then, rest, then two days, weekends off. So four times a week, on ya off days you can do sum cardio, ab exercises and some push ups but no weights.

Back
Top Bottom