NT, How big of a problem is NBA/referee corruption?

This topic came in my head as everyone on twitter and here are complaining about referees helping the heat, okc being helped in game 6 vs spurs, the CP3 to Lakers trade, and Hornets getting #1...  Refs do miss calls because they are human, but its pretty alarming to see some of these phantom calls.. Word to Joey Crawford.  Also, has Stern corrupted the whole league?  
How big of a problem is it truly currently?

How has no one tried to address this other than Jim Rome earlier on a topic 

interesting link- http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/disgraced-nba-ref-spills-beans-about

That one is eh cause he was pretty salty lol.

Discuss- Don't bring in the "u mad" cause heat won game 2+3 and im blaming it on refs... Heat have played great these play offs w/o ref help.... word to thunder too.

Note: (upset % / Spread Win for underdog %)
Eric Dalen (69%)
Scott Wall (67%)
**** Bavetta (64%)
Joe Crawford (62%/69%)
James Capers (22%/56%)
Ken Mauer (27%/55%)
Tony Brown (14%)
Pat Fraher (14%)
Kevin Cutler (8%)
Mark Ayotte (8%)

Joey Crawford is ranked 4th in upsets behind #1. Eric Dalen (69%), #2. Scott Wall (67%), and #3. **** Bavetta (64%). That’s an average of 66% of their games combined, meaning that 7 out of every 10 of their games are upsets.

Once again if you’re wondering who the lowest ranked are: #1. Kevin Cutler and Mark Ayotte are tied at (8%), #2. Pat Fraher and Tony Brown are tied at (14%), #3. Marat Kogut anViolet Palmer are tied at (18%), and #4. Tom Washington at (25%). That’s an average of 15% of their games combined

Ugh. It's only become a "problem" because we have 876 HD cameras capturing every angle of every play in every game. The NBA has always had inconsistent to downright inexcusable officiating. We live in a 24/7 news cycle now, so awareness is heightened. Example: could you imagine if a team got to shoot 64 free throws in a Game 7 in 2012? The media firestorm would be relentless. But it's a footnote in history at this point because that game happened in a bygone era. There are plenty of other examples of this, but it's not just officials, it's the media and all of us on message boards being able to talk about it.

Found it! Here is a table of every ref and their upset %, % of time the spread is covered, fouls on the home team, techs on the home team, everything.

Not only because of this data in fact not because of it all but just an eye test, but if there is going to be another ref who gets "exposed," it will be Joey Crawford. I'm not saying what he does is NBA sanctioned, but dude is a bad ref, crooked, and holds personal biases which he lets carry over into his officiating.

http://www.nbastuffer.com...yoffs_Referee_Stats.html

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Found it! Here is a table of every ref and their upset %, % of time the spread is covered, fouls on the home team, techs on the home team, everything.

Not only because of this data in fact not because of it all but just an eye test, but if there is going to be another ref who gets "exposed," it will be Joey Crawford. I'm not saying what he does is NBA sanctioned, but dude is a bad ref, crooked, and holds personal biases which he lets carry over into his officiating.

http://www.nbastuffer.com...yoffs_Referee_Stats.html

I'm not seeing anything about the spread or upsets in your link. In fact, I'm not seeing anything of statistical significance.

Let's just say that NBA games aren't rigged , that refs just miss calls because of poor angles and split second decision making. Why not employ more referees to officiate the Finals so that more angles are covered and whistle blowing is either completely justified without doubt or kept to a minimum? I mean, it's not like 50 different refs have to be at a different game this time of year.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ugh. It's only become a "problem" because we have 876 HD cameras capturing every angle of every play in every game. The NBA has always had inconsistent to downright inexcusable officiating. We live in a 24/7 news cycle now, so awareness is heightened. Example: could you imagine if a team got to shoot 64 free throws in a Game 7 in 2012? The media firestorm would be relentless. But it's a footnote in history at this point because that game happened in a bygone era. There are plenty of other examples of this, but it's not just officials, it's the media and all of us on message boards being able to talk about it.

to add, people love to look at the numbers after the fact but either dont watch the flow of the game or skew them to their own arguments. the obvious example of this being someone like Shaq who shot a ton of free throws, not only because of his physical post play, but because he was a terrible FT shooter so he would get hacked. but a random observer would look at the box score and see that he shot something like 20 FTs and immediately run to his computer to rant about it on his blog/FB/twitter/assorted comments pages.

It's not really that surprising though. You know whenever Joey Crawford shows up, the home team is getting the win.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Are you kidding me? People have been complaining about the refs before games were broadcasted in HD. Donaghy admitted to calling fouls on certain players in order to rig games.  The problem isn't even getting ALL of the calls right, it's the phantom calls that are made and blatant calls that are missed within the last 5 minutes of the game.  I won't go so far as to say every game is rigged/fixed, but it's pretty interesting how the past few finals have been the teams that draw the highest ratings...

This isn't just the NBA...basketball refs all over for high school, college and any league games you can find can effect the game more than in any other sport. I've always had refs that I've hated and every time they reffed a game I was playing in I knew I wasn't going to get @$%! for calls because they hold grudges and want to make the game more about them than the players on the floor. Joey Crawford is the epitome of this....I cannot wait for the day that I don't have to see his stupid bald !%# head out there on the floor. Every time I see him at the start of a game I just know something fishy is gonna happen. I hate that dude by far more than any player or team.

Donaghy was just the surface.

Nobody in any sport has as much power as NBA refs do, they can throw out players whenever they wish for the most minuscule things, put players in foul trouble, "create" runs for the opposing teams at the FT line....it has and always will be the reason NBA games can be difficult to watch at times.

out of the 4 majors there is no doubt in my mind that the most fixed influenced league is the NBA

it might be corruption or fixed games, id ont see it that way.  i just think nba refs are just terrible.  i dont understand why the league cant bring in 30 year olds who have recently played the game over old men who seem to have never even played the game.
it deosnt seem as bad as the fatties in baseball who have to only make two calls all game and still manage to miss it.

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

It's not really that surprising though. You know whenever Joey Crawford shows up, the home team is getting the win.
Didn't he referee game 2?

And if you have legit stats/info on " % of time the spread is covered" please let me know so that I can use it to make bets.

How has no one tried to address this other than Jim Rome earlier on a topic

laugh.gif
what?  Where have you been the last decade man?

Everything circles back to two things:

1. TV and their ratings drive every sports league.
2. Refs are human and stick to human tendencies. They get star struck, they have biases, and they give the home teams calls (which is a proven fact).

Do pro leagues fix games? No.

Have they nudged certain aspects to help the super stars and super teams win? Yes.

Mez 0ne:

Nobody in any sport has as much power as NBA refs do, they can throw out players whenever they wish for the most minuscule things, put players in foul trouble, "create" runs for the opposing teams at the FT line....it has and always will be the reason NBA games can be difficult to watch at times.
So you hate the Heat, too? Apparently if you say what you just said, you hate the Heat, amd your hate is the only reason you're saying that.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Let's just say that NBA games aren't rigged , that refs just miss calls because of poor angles and split second decision making. Why not employ more referees to officiate the Finals so that more angles are covered and whistle blowing is either completely justified without doubt or kept to a minimum? I mean, it's not like 50 different refs have to be at a different game this time of year.

This

This is dumb. If there wasn't a thing called "instant replay" AKA only seeing the play happen live (like the refs do) this conversation wouldn't be happening. Refs are human too, they make mistakes.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Mez 0ne:

So you hate the Heat, too? Apparently if you say what you just said, you hate the Heat, amd your hate is the only reason you're saying that.
Must be going by the way some people respond on here, even though I've seen saying this for over a decade. *shrugs
Refs make 5 figures during the NBA Finals, you think they only want to work 4 days if they don't have to?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom