NT, I have an oil change question!

I went to JiffyLube today for an oil change for the first time, and they charged me $45 dollars. I drive a 2005 Chevy Avalanche with 108K Miles on it.

The guy explained to me about what Chevy recommends for vehicles with that high of a mileage. I needed 8 quarts and they charged $4.99 a quart.

They used 5W-30 oil, so I was wondering if it's worth a good price or not. They vacuumed, checked all my vehicle fluids, and cleaned my windows.

BTW, is 5W-30 oil good for the Chevy Avalanche? I just want to make sure, because I'm getting mixed answers from google and people I know.

Any amount of money (above $10) is too much for something that takes about 20 minutes of your time.

I dunno about the grade of engine oil, but $45 is a fair amount.

Knowing how to change your own oil, FTW. It's like a twelve dollar job.

its a fair deal, high mileage oil usually runs a little more but like said doing ur own is better and cheaper. I do my own using synthetic because they chargean arm and leg around here

5w-30 is used for colder places.... where do you live?

eh
grin.gif
jiffy lube wont be putting any quality oil in your suv...

learn to diy

id check your oil and oil filter to make sure they actually changed it and not just topped off your oil

changing your own oil ftw

Hmm, I'll take a look into my oil filter tomorrow morning.

So I shouldn't go back to JiffyLube anymore?

I used to go to this place across the street from my house that charged $21.50, but I think they use cheap oil.

So did I get ripped off? Or was $45 a good price?

smh.gif
I live in Houston, this place is like living in an oven. I read on google about 5W-30 was made for cold places.

in your manual it will tell you which viscosity works for you car. Did they also change your filter? Keep in mind money for oil/filter/ and labor that is not abad price.

I live in College Station about 2 hours from Houston, and believe it or not, around here the best oil changes are at a super center Wal Mart. 50 dollars forpenzoil full synthetic (I have a Toyota Avalon) and they check fluids and all that stuff too. I've been going to them for a while, there price is by farthe best. After doing the math, 6 quarts of the full synthetic by itself is over 30 bucks.

I guess it aint that bad but I'm sure u could've gotten a better deal somewhere else. Look online for coupons, they help brah.

For yall that change yall own oil, where do yall dispose of it? I be wantin to change my own oil but don't know where to dispose of it at

^ Yeah thanks bro, I just looked at their website and they have a $5 dollar off coupon.

But is 5W-30 oil good for my Avalanche? Or it really depends on my location, mileage, and etc.?

So what do you guys suggest? Continue going to JiffyLube?

I tried going to Pep-Boys and Wal-Mart, but the wait was too long and I really needed an oil change.

I paid 80 + another 12 for the oil filter for my car the first time. 8 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic. $45 is a fair price, if you really want to save another $10or so, do it yourself.

Originally Posted by PLAYOFF12

^ Yeah thanks bro, I just looked at their website and they have a $5 dollar off coupon.

But is 5W-30 oil good for my Avalanche? Or it really depends on my location, mileage, and etc.?

So what do you guys suggest? Continue going to JiffyLube?

I tried going to Pep-Boys and Wal-Mart, but the wait was too long and I really needed an oil change.
Yea 30 weight is good for ur car considering the mileage. It's thicker so it burns slower and lasts a while longer, that's why theysuggest u use a heavier weight during the winter months when it's cold.

An Avalanche is gon burn oil harder than ur standard vehicle so considerin that, u got a pretty good deal. It just seems exspensive to me b/c I paid $16 for my'02 Escape, but I only have 62k miles on it
laugh.gif

^ Thanks, because it started to bother me whether that oil was good or not for my Avalanche and if I got ripped off or not.

Yeah, I know, I got too many miles on this truck especially because it's an 05.
smh.gif
It's been on alot of trips across town every week and multiple tripsto Louisiana from Houston.

^ Thanks, because it started to bother me whether that oil was good or not for my Avalanche and if I got ripped off or not.

Yeah, I know, I got too many miles on this truck especially because it's an 05.
smh.gif
It's been on alot of trips across town every week and multiple trips to Louisiana from Houston.
Year has nothin to do w/ it. Just get a rental or cut down on travelin. Like I said I have an '02 w/ 62k miles. had it for 3yrs and only puton 10k

Havin a reliable care is coo but u gotta keep it reliable, rackin up mileage aint kosher. But u straight homie, no need to stress just talk to em like u knowwhat's up next time and tell em to shave some money off.

Yeah, if I go back to JiffyLube I'm gonna come back with that $5 dollars off coupon.

Should I go to JiffyLube, Wal-Mart, or Pep Boys?

Shop around, call and ask prices. That's the game. Some places are gon be cheap for one thing while another place will be for another. For example. I needa ABS sensor for my truck, The usual candidates, Advance Auto Parts and Autozone's prices were $72 and $65 respectively. Now Pepboys has it for $42, if Ihadn't called I would be payin $20-$30+ more for the part, same brand, etc.

Shop around for anything if u feel u can find a better deal. No harm in doin it right

Pep Boys were charging like $35 and Wal-Mart said $30. I went to those places first, but each had 2-3 hour waits and I didn't have time.

Well some dude just PM'ed me and said JiffyLube is a bad place, so I guess I'm gonna start going to Pep Boys or Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I guess it aint that bad but I'm sure u could've gotten a better deal somewhere else. Look online for coupons, they help brah.

For yall that change yall own oil, where do yall dispose of it? I be wantin to change my own oil but don't know where to dispose of it at
bottle it the old oil back up and bring it into your local kragen.

Pep Boys were charging like $35 and Wal-Mart said $30. I went to those places first, but each had 2-3 hour waits and I didn't have time.

Well some dude just PM'ed me and said JiffyLube is a bad place, so I guess I'm gonna start going to Pep Boys or Wal-Mart.
Well there u go, u just gotta get on the jump when u know u wanna get ya oil changed. I never dealt w/ Jiffy Lube so I wouldn't know but ifdude suggest they bad then I would assume he knows right
laugh.gif

And thanks for the replies about where to take my old oil fellas, appreciate it

how are you guys doing it urself for 10 dollars? what oil are yall buying? its like 3.99 my way a bottle..and u need 5 to fill a car..if u buy a gallon its15-20 dollars..then u need the oil filter which is like 5 dollars also..so where is the 10 dollar oil im missing out on?

Back
Top Bottom