NT, In your opinion, Which factors decide where a person is from?

I've been in VA for about 13 years now and just to make it easier I say I'm from VA or northern VA but I don't really feel from here. I still consider myself a military brat.

I know a dude that moved to Chicago just a year ago....and now he claims he's from Chicago to everyone
indifferent.gif

IMO it's all about how long you've been at the place you're at.

Difficult q for me to answer I've never lived anywhere more than 8 years
laugh.gif

I say NYC/NY cause I think it had the most influence on my personality-
Boston-4years for college
New Jersey-love the burbs but I usually keep this on the dl cause it carries negative connotations word to the Shore
laugh.gif

Born in Nigeria-when people ask I tell them I'm Nigerian but I'm from NY
grin.gif

Originally Posted by jell0man

I know a dude that moved to Chicago just a year ago....and now he claims he's from Chicago to everyone
indifferent.gif

IMO it's all about how long you've been at the place you're at.
Is his name Kenny?

I was Born in LA but grew up in Seattle..... so i claim Seattle.

grin.gif
 at my Cuz who was born in LA but moved to Bellevue (10 min out of Seattle) at the age of 6. She still claims LA at 26.

I was born in San Francisco but moved to Oakland (than to Richmond) at the age of 9 and than came back to the San Francisco area 2 years ago. Since I stayed connected with family and friends over in the city for the whole time, I always claimed I'm from San Francisco.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

I was born in Germany, lived in GA since I was 3 so I claim GA
So....U're not a citizen? 
It's more so about the place that shaped and developed the person who u are. 

For example. My boy was born in Detroit, spent most of his life in Ohio until his sr year when he moved to Pittsburgh. He says he's from Detroit tryin not to associate himself w/ Ohio but when he goes "home" to visit, he always goes to Columbus b/c that's where his connection is stronger too

Originally Posted by MontellGriffin97

wherever you went to high school is where you from.

This.
I can understand the flaw in this logic. But for me, where you went to High School really helps shape your character. You may not be a product of your surroundings ,so to speak, but this has always been the rule of thumb. 

...I haven't lived in Miami since I was 18, but from birth til I was 18 Miami was all I knew, so I'm going to rep that regardless of wherever I am. 

i lived in harlem till i was 5.. then i moved to the bronx.. i'm 22, i rep the bronx, and i hate harlem

I spent birth and 5 years of my life in Queens, NY. (Flushing meadows to be exact.) I've spent 9 years so far in Fairfield, CT. Honestly, I like the suburbs better.

Its a mixture of things. I love that I dress the way I do. People judge me before I open my mouth.
I want to be that CEO that drives a honda and wears sandals.

Edit: Oh, like that. well in that case - It's not where you're from but where you're at!

NYCers go hard for their city, but I would go out on a limb and say nobody reps their STATE harder than Texans and Californians.

Pac lived in Bmore most of his young life son, and I think its just where you feel like you were raised and came up at.. Like you can be a kid living somewhere and then move but once you move thats where you become the person you'l be the rest of your life.. That kinda thing

Honestly it's all about where you consider home. You can move from a city when your 5 but every time you go back it feels you visiting where you from.There's really no specific way to factor where your from, it's all about the individual and what he feels most connected too.

Where u feel more connected too, but I think the length of time plays a part too. I was born in Seattle, but moved to Houston
at 2 years old (24 now). So of course I'm definitely more connected to Houston, but since I have fam in Seattle, I still have a
pretty good connection there too. And I will claim both the Seahawks & Texans any day of the week.

Originally Posted by Tom Robinson

Pac lived in Bmore most of his young life son, and I think its just where you feel like you were raised and came up at.. Like you can be a kid living somewhere and then move but once you move thats where you become the person you'l be the rest of your life.. That kinda thing
Word to Big Mike from the Wood

Born in Miami, raised in Miami, still live in Miami to this day. So naturally I'm going to rep New York City.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Honestly it's all about where you consider home. You can move from a city when your 5 but every time you go back it feels you visiting where you from.There's really no specific way to factor where your from, it's all about the individual and what he feels most connected too.
Thats what Im thinking

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by JayHood23

I was born in Germany, lived in GA since I was 3 so I claim GA
So....U're not a citizen? 
It's more so about the place that shaped and developed the person who u are. 

For example. My boy was born in Detroit, spent most of his life in Ohio until his sr year when he moved to Pittsburgh. He says he's from Detroit tryin not to associate himself w/ Ohio but when he goes "home" to visit, he always goes to Columbus b/c that's where his connection is stronger too
I am, I was born on a military base which is considered US soil.

Back
Top Bottom