NT Legal Advice - Apartment Lease and roommate's dog

Hey guys. I just moved into a new place (for college) with a stranger (strike 1, I know).

The lease is signed with both of our names to a lady who lives in a nearby city. He is not my landlord although sometimes he acts like it.

Anyway, it's just over a week here and the dog has chewed up my rug (I was able to exchange for another) and has peed on my bed (comforter, sheets are clean now, and mattress has a small stain still). He offered to pay for the comforter and sheets but I haven't really acknowledged that.

Right now I want out of the lease. I'm trying to find a sublessor but I think the lady will let me out outright.

Question is: there's nothing in the lease either way about pet damage or a way I can get out of the lease for something like that. And should I or could I force him to pay me for a new mattress? I feel like a punk doing it but really all I want is to get out of this lease. I already paid for this month and the last month (which was a security deposit).

Hey guys. I just moved into a new place (for college) with a stranger (strike 1, I know).

The lease is signed with both of our names to a lady who lives in a nearby city. He is not my landlord although sometimes he acts like it.

Anyway, it's just over a week here and the dog has chewed up my rug (I was able to exchange for another) and has peed on my bed (comforter, sheets are clean now, and mattress has a small stain still). He offered to pay for the comforter and sheets but I haven't really acknowledged that.

Right now I want out of the lease. I'm trying to find a sublessor but I think the lady will let me out outright.

Question is: there's nothing in the lease either way about pet damage or a way I can get out of the lease for something like that. And should I or could I force him to pay me for a new mattress? I feel like a punk doing it but really all I want is to get out of this lease. I already paid for this month and the last month (which was a security deposit).

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

just bury the dog...
laugh.gif

but seriously though, why do you let the dog in your room?

I was in the shower. The door was closed but not all the way so it pushed the door open and went nuts.

The idiot offered to put up a gate or something to keep it out. But that's ridiculous.

It's getting old having to shut the door to take a leak back and forth, cause it'll get into my bathroom trash too, I'm sure it'd piss on my bathroom carpet if I let it in there.

I was in the shower. The door was closed but not all the way so it pushed the door open and went nuts.

The idiot offered to put up a gate or something to keep it out. But that's ridiculous.

It's getting old having to shut the door to take a leak back and forth, cause it'll get into my bathroom trash too, I'm sure it'd piss on my bathroom carpet if I let it in there.

Not really much effort to close your door anytime you leave your room. Once you get into the habit of it you will be good.

Not really much effort to close your door anytime you leave your room. Once you get into the habit of it you will be good.

just close your door and make him get the dog trained...

we dont even have any pets and i just close my door cuz i don't want anyone i dont know looking in my room when they come in our apt...my room is right by the door when you come in...

and make him pay for your stuff...its only right

just close your door and make him get the dog trained...

we dont even have any pets and i just close my door cuz i don't want anyone i dont know looking in my room when they come in our apt...my room is right by the door when you come in...

and make him pay for your stuff...its only right

I shouldn't have to do all that. Plus I have a place I want to move into already. Nicer and actually cheaper.

I shouldn't have to do all that. Plus I have a place I want to move into already. Nicer and actually cheaper.

Not really ALL THAT. It is just closing a door. If you don't move then you won't have a choice. Simple as that man. But if you can get out get out.

Not really ALL THAT. It is just closing a door. If you don't move then you won't have a choice. Simple as that man. But if you can get out get out.

break the lease... pay the penalty
but honestly.... sounds like you're using the dog as an excuse since you already have a new place in mind.

but honestly.... sounds like you're using the dog as an excuse since you already have a new place in mind.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Zing!

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Zing!

Back
Top Bottom