#NT Need Advice Vol. How to Tell Current Employer (Internship) I Have Other Opportunities

So I've been interning for one of the largest commercial real estate finance companies in the country since April, and I've been enjoying it. But there's no guarantees that it will turn into a full-time position at the end of the summer. I had several phone interviews with one of the largest banks in the country who also has one of the largest commercial real estate departments in the world, but didn't mention anything to my boss because I didn't think it was going to go anywhere really. Well, apparently they liked me and want to fly me out for a final interview next week. So now I've got to tell them the deal, and request a day off in order to fly up to Boston. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them in the past? I really like the people that I work with so I don't want to just keep them in the dark and then, should I get an offer tell them I'm leaving and put in my two-weeks. Also, should I not get the position I would like for the company I'm currently with to still keep me in the running for a F-T position when the summer is over.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

unless you get an offer dont speculate anything. request the day off and handle your business. should an offer come put in your two weeks and thank them for the opportunity. make sure you do all the remainder of your work, grab a few contacts of coworkers you were cool with and be on your way.

turn over is expected in the corporate world. best of luck.

Last edited:
you literally tell them thanks for the opportunity but i was offered another position. put in your two weeks make sure you do all the work you assigned before you leave and then be out.

turn overs happen all the time its expected, especially if an internship. congrats on the new gig.
all of this. if they take it any way other than professionally, thats on them

unless you get an offer dont speculate anything. request the day off and handle your business. should an offer come put in your two weeks and thank them for the opportunity. make sure you do all the remainder of your work, grab a few contacts of coworkers you were cool with and be on your way.

This was my initial train of thought, but if the place I'm interning at now were to make me a F-T offer, or if any of their offices were to, it's most definitely something I would have to consider. It would be kind of hard for that to happen though if I just showed up one day and told them I was leaving in two weeks.

it sounds like you want to stay where you, which is understandable, especially if you like it. 

on the other hand if the place you are currently at doesnt have a history of hiring from within or you dont think you are inline for an offer, a change might be best, if you are offered the spot in Boston.

i worked a job part time in college thinking it might lead to an opening with them and they didnt offer ****. not a waste of time per say because it was paid, but i could have looked at additional opportunities and to broaden my experience level.

This man knows. Corporate world is wild

I had an internship at one of the top 20 internships according to Yahoo and was in the same position you were in. I had an interview with another company for a full time offer after I graduated. I took two days off for the interview, eventually got the job and thats when I told them I'd be leaving at the end of the internship. I didn't want to burn any bridges before anything was finalized.

I had an internship at one of the top 20 internships according to Yahoo and was in the same position you were in. I had an interview with another company for a full time offer after I graduated. I took two days off for the interview, eventually got the job and thats when I told them I'd be leaving at the end of the internship. I didn't want to burn any bridges before anything was finalized.

I hear ya'. Although I feel like if I get this F-T offer they're going to want me to start before the end of the summer. So I'd have to cut my internship off early.

I'm in the same spot OP, I'm interviewing for other firms right now. This is my first corporate job and I feel bad leaving when they were the first people to give me a shot, but if I get a more lucrative offer then I have to walk. I've been thinking about it every day this week, I expect a large amount of awkwardness of putting in a two weeks and then finishing it out.

The problem is you have no guarantee from either company. Do what's best for you.

If after your interview the new place decides to make you an offer bring it up to one of your supervisors and ask for their advice.

Also, check to see how many of their internships actually turn into full-time jobs. Which staff members interned there first and how they went about transitioning over, etc.

First, you are not in a unique position. Second, when you have an internship you should always be on the look out for FT employment opportunities, either with the company you are currently interning or outside companies. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

NEVER disclose to any employer that you are interviewing for another position, internal or external. It serves no purpose, and can actually be detrimental to future opportunities internally.

That being said, if you land the FT gig in Boston, you can go to your manager and let him know that you have a FT offer from "_______________" and are considering taking the opportunity. They will give you feedback, possibly make you a counter offer to keep you on-board, or wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors. They should understand you are in the intern pool, and as much as they would like to keep that pool stocked with talent they have to understand that a full time offer trumps an internship and they will lose some of that talent. Nature of the beast.

Also, should I not get the position I would like for the company I'm currently with to still keep me in the running for a F-T position when the summer is over.

Don't mention that you are interviewing for other positions, don't mention that you are seeking other opportunities unless you have a concrete offer. Had to mention this twice.

Even though it's an internship, whether paid or unpaid, think of it as an entry level job, treat it as so. People move on all the time, do it cordially and professionally and you'll be fine.

Good Luck.

PS- Taking a day off shouldn't be difficult and you don't need to disclose why you are taking that day off. Just say "personal reasons".

Last edited:
I applied for a job internally at my firm and told my manager and director. Here they encourage it because the other department is going to email them anyway and they don't want you going behind their back. In fact on the phone interview they asked me if my supervisor was aware.

Back
Top Bottom