NT Rappers....Know what must suck....Getting signed to a major/huge cosign and never dropping.

Lets say one(or many of yall) get signed to a major or even under a big name like shady/aftermath/gunit, rocafella, star trak,...wherever. i can only imaginehow it feel when you dream of something for SO LONG, get signed by Timbaland(example) and NEVER drop.I can only imagine how much you dream about beingrich/famous when you connected to a major name after being seen around parties and being heralded as that next dude.. You probably told moms you bout to copher a new house
embarassed.gif

Probably how the people signed under Jay-Z feel.

They can't drop, But he steady making moves and dropping his own albums.

its sucks, but its the artists' own fault at the end of the day. Like in the Godfather, act like a man. Go in the studio and create that banging music. Inthese times, semi ok to good records really are not going to neither the label or the artist any good.
Sure the label may not like it, but if the album is good enough it'll drop. If you a one single/Youtube wonder, don't expect to get the release day thesame as Wayne or Jay-z.
I mean even established artists have to fight to drop the album they want, John Mayer cried when his label first rejected Continum (sp?)

Originally Posted by Barack 0drama

It's their own fault for thinking just cause they get signed they are going to get a release date. Look at the state of the music industry, outisde of Jay,Kanye, Wayne and TI, there isn't anyone in rap who can consistantly get a solid release date.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

It's their own fault for thinking just cause they get signed they are going to get a release date. Look at the state of the music industry, outisde of Jay, Kanye, Wayne and TI, there isn't anyone in rap who can consistantly get a solid release date.
people been getting benched forever, %++@ aint new

So I guess this means no Jewels x Roc collabs coming down the pipe...
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Hypothetically would ya sign to Aftermath if there was a majority chance you would never drop???

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

So I guess this means no Jewels x Roc collabs coming down the pipe...
laugh.gif
frown.gif
I just look at Young Chris situation and smh.

But a lot of the times you have go out and get it like Kanye. If I was signed to Roc, I'd make the best out of those resources.

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

Hypothetically would ya sign to Aftermath if there was a majority chance you would never drop???

yeah, always work on you connections; pick up the loose change being thrown around, make sure Em/Dre/and 50 have their coffee and donuts in the morning
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
, pay ya dues, and make sure you don't leave on bad terms if you do split

if you good and have the work ethic,and patience, you'll drop. You can be good, but no work ethic (see Jadakiss), or a decent combination of both (Seewayne) (ignore most of fake NT
grin.gif
)

Originally Posted by EezyVeezy20

shouts outs to Curren$y lol

what could've been
smh.gif
how come wayne all over drake @+* and co-signing em all over tracks and interviews but dude not even really helping his own artistout?!?

From talking to a former head at Def Jam and then seeing how some independent and major (yet, undropped) artists work, it all makes sense to me very clearlynow.

If you don't put in the work, no one will put in the work for you, unless you're some musical prodigy or performance superstar that people see in themaking.

It's like, the first time you heard "through the wire" I think everyone could kind of feel there was something about Kanye... like he had thataura.

But take Lil Wayne and T.I. for example. Neither of those guys would be where they are if they wouldn't continue to put out music over their careers, theywent from guys who most probably thought would be in and out within 3 years to being in the Top 10 discussion all the time now.

Big Sean, he's gonna drop before any of those guys in that XXL freshmen list. Want to know why? Because he gets it. He's making himself relevant rightnow. He's trying to make music that a) people will feel and b) THE RADIO WILL PLAY.

So many artists forget that radio play = 90% of what's going to determine if you drop or not. I don't know how many of you have seen The Temptations(hopefully MOST of you) but the scene where Berry Gordy has the quality control sessions to determine if a record is a hit or not, I'm sure that'ssimilar to how it's still done for the most part.

Dre, 50, Timbo, Jay... none of these people are going to let you put out an album or even give you a release date if all you're doing is putting outsingles that can only play in satellite radio or freestyles over other people beats. A street single does not = radio single. And I hate to break it to most ofyou, but street singles don't sell records.

Believe this. Anyone who's got talent that isn't dropping, is because they aren't creating a big enough buzz for themselves or they aren'tmaking the music quality to producing a full-length album.

From talking to a former head at Def Jam and then seeing how some independent and major (yet, undropped) artists work, it all makes sense to me very clearly now.

If you don't put in the work, no one will put in the work for you, unless you're some musical prodigy or performance superstar that people see in the making.

It's like, the first time you heard "through the wire" I think everyone could kind of feel there was something about Kanye... like he had that aura.

But take Lil Wayne and T.I. for example. Neither of those guys would be where they are if they wouldn't continue to put out music over their careers, they went from guys who most probably thought would be in and out within 3 years to being in the Top 10 discussion all the time now.

Big Sean, he's gonna drop before any of those guys in that XXL freshmen list. Want to know why? Because he gets it. He's making himself relevant right now. He's trying to make music that a) people will feel and b) THE RADIO WILL PLAY.

So many artists forget that radio play = 90% of what's going to determine if you drop or not. I don't know how many of you have seen The Temptations (hopefully MOST of you) but the seen where Berry Gordy has the quality control sessions to determine if a record is a hit or not, I'm sure that's how it's still done for the most part.

Dre, 50, Timbo, Jay... none of these people are going to let you put out an album or even give you a release date if all you're doing is putting out singles that can only play in satellite radio. A street single does not = radio single. And I hate to break it to most of you, but street singles don't sell records.

Believe this. Anyone who's got talent that isn't dropping, is because they aren't creating a big enough buzz for themselves or they aren't making the music quality to producing a full-length album.

true story but emphasis on the bold......

as far as I've seen @ Def Jam they have this thing a friend of mine throws called "Foqus Forums" where tastemakers just get to business andcritique artists and say what they can do better...then you have listening sessions for bloggers and some for tastemakers.

All jokes aside, thinking about scenarios like the one OP and everyone else posted just make me want to work on my production that much more. Who knows,maybe I'll be able to step out as an artist years from now. I just know that there is a lot of work that goes into just getting your album out there... Not even looking at whether or not it actually does well.

I know this is gonna make me sound like a hater, but I'm tired of hearing Jay, Kanye, Wayne, TI and Jeezy... they're tryin to make it hard for otherrappers to get some shine.

I don't know whats worse, being a ill rapper with no deal, or being a ill rapper with a deal to sit on the shelf.

Peedi Crack
True Life
Uncle Murder
Hell Rell

etc

Anyone with some real insight, can you tell me how these cats eat?

I know this is gonna make me sound like a hater, but I'm tired of hearing Jay, Kanye, Wayne, TI and Jeezy... they're tryin to make it hard for other rappers to get some shine.
I don't think they intentionally trying to block shine...I question Jay-Z tho sometimes.

Approaching 40, Worth a billion damn near...Still trying to drop Blueprints every few years.

I feel like he should be developing younger guys and building brands. But I guess it's hard to let the glory/fame/accolades of being a performer go...Orthe "allure".

True Life
I feel like Jay-Z used him as an attack dog on Jim Jones...
laugh.gif

He was front and center when the Jay-Z vs. Jim thing was at it's peak, Then once he served his purpose, He was discarded.

He didn't even have his own Roc chain...
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm hoping Wale doesn't suffer this fate as well because uhh...that March Release Date obviously ain't happening.

I'm trying to figure why Interscope just scooped all the "new generation" talent given their track record.

They must be trying to snatch them all up in case one becomes a success, Then they can already have laid claim to that artist.

They must be trying to snatch them all up in case one becomes a success, Then they can already have laid claim to that artist.
thats exactly what that was..can u imagine if they missed out on wale...or asher..cuz asher was gettin a buzz goin b4 he signed to them..they justdont want egg on their face..but what they are doin isnt in the best interest of the artists. Just like Gemini..i heard_s had to literally make him loseweight..son had no idea the connections he had with FnF.

Like forreal if Lupe or Ye put me on id be grinding like a %@+#*...dudes like Really Doe aint doin nothin..came out with one song
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

From talking to a former head at Def Jam and then seeing how some independent and major (yet, undropped) artists work, it all makes sense to me very clearly now.

If you don't put in the work, no one will put in the work for you, unless you're some musical prodigy or performance superstar that people see in the making.

It's like, the first time you heard "through the wire" I think everyone could kind of feel there was something about Kanye... like he had that aura.

But take Lil Wayne and T.I. for example. Neither of those guys would be where they are if they wouldn't continue to put out music over their careers, they went from guys who most probably thought would be in and out within 3 years to being in the Top 10 discussion all the time now.

Big Sean, he's gonna drop before any of those guys in that XXL freshmen list. Want to know why? Because he gets it. He's making himself relevant right now. He's trying to make music that a) people will feel and b) THE RADIO WILL PLAY.

So many artists forget that radio play = 90% of what's going to determine if you drop or not. I don't know how many of you have seen The Temptations (hopefully MOST of you) but the seen where Berry Gordy has the quality control sessions to determine if a record is a hit or not, I'm sure that's how it's still done for the most part.

Dre, 50, Timbo, Jay... none of these people are going to let you put out an album or even give you a release date if all you're doing is putting out singles that can only play in satellite radio. A street single does not = radio single. And I hate to break it to most of you, but street singles don't sell records.

Believe this. Anyone who's got talent that isn't dropping, is because they aren't creating a big enough buzz for themselves or they aren't making the music quality to producing a full-length album.
true story but emphasis on the bold......

as far as I've seen @ Def Jam they have this thing a friend of mine throws called "Foqus Forums" where tastemakers just get to business and critique artists and say what they can do better...then you have listening sessions for bloggers and some for tastemakers.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. Best believe, before L.A. Reid, Lyor, or any of those guys give you the greenlight to put outsomething with their label's name stamped all over it, they're gonna ask the people who they believe opinion's matter whether or not you'reworth putting any REAL money into.

Back
Top Bottom