NT...REAL TALK, why do they call us African AMERICANS?

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Your hang up is with the wrong part, why they call us African? Nothing about me is African.
Yes black Americans have way more in common with white Americans than Africans, however

chimage.php

slave+ship.jpg

slaver.gif

its just to be politically correct. It both respects their equality as fellow Americans and acknowledges their heritage and roots. People are sensitive thesedays. If you call someone "African" they might say you don't consider them as American as any other. But you just call someone"American" they say you're not seeing the whole picture and forgetting where they came from.

Likewise, its for grouping people. Like the guy above said about calling a black guy "jamaican", the same happens for Hispanics. I'm Dominicanbut many people cannot just tell off the bat so I rather they say "Hispanic", "Hispanic American", "Latino", etc. instead of"Puerto Rican" or "Spanish". Some people really get offended when you call them the wrong thing. So its better to be general, hence"African-American" represents all blacks in America regardless of American, Carribean, of African heritage and Hispanic American representsDominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Peruvians, etc.

I feel as though people would like to use the term black american when they have no ties to africa as far as parents, grand parents great grandparents...etc.
Also some people may feel that african american may refer to your friend whos parents are from nigeria and he was born in america.
Because if you are born in america and have u.s. citizenship you are american. Like as for me I have no ties to African except when we were bought over acrossseas.
So I would see myself as being more Black American or just plain American. What only if youre white can you be considered American?..

If it matters, I prefer Black American.
Wonders if Asian Americans would prefer be called Yellow Americans. Because there is nothing Asian about them.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LoveMySneakers

its just to be politically correct. It both respects their equality as fellow Americans and acknowledges their heritage and roots. People are sensitive these days. If you call someone "African" they might say you don't consider them as American as any other. But you just call someone "American" they say you're not seeing the whole picture and forgetting where they came from.

Likewise, its for grouping people. Like the guy above said about calling a black guy "jamaican", the same happens for Hispanics. I'm Dominican but many people cannot just tell off the bat so I rather they say "Hispanic", "Hispanic American", "Latino", etc. instead of "Puerto Rican" or "Spanish". Some people really get offended when you call them the wrong thing. So its better to be general, hence "African-American" represents all blacks in America regardless of American, Carribean, of African heritage and Hispanic American represents Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Peruvians, etc.

Preach!

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Wonders if Asian Americans would prefer be called Yellow Americans. Because there is nothing Asian about them.
nerd.gif

You serious? Asian Americans parents are from Asia, or maybe they themselves are. There is def something Asian about them. If that was sarcasm FAIL.

nerd.gif

You serious? Asian Americans parents are from Asia, or maybe they themselves are. There is def something Asian about them. If that was sarcasm FAIL.

It absolutely wasn't failed sarcasm. There are many Asian families who have been here since the early 1900s (Japanese, chinese immigrants who worked on thebuilding the railroads, there is a significant number of Japanese who fought in both world wars...these people are just as American as the rest of us). Youassume that every person of Asian descent living in this country is second or third generation. Even then, do you think they would want to be called YellowAmericans? Think about that for a second. Do you think an Asian family who is very much as American as most of us would divorce that part of their heritage andchoose to be referred to as Yellow Americans?

nerd.gif

Just to play Devil's Advocate: You're not necessarily from Asia just because of that. I have cousin who lives, was born, and was raised,in Domincan Republic. His parents are both Dominicans and our Grandparents are also Dominican but he looks totally Asian. I guess somewhere down the linesomeone in his lineage had sex with an Asian guy/girl and hence his looks.

But to be more specific about that guys argument, he's saying the color thing doesn't pan out so easily with other groups. If African Americans areblack, Caucasian Americans are white, I guess Hispanics are Brown (even though my skin is really light), then the next "logical step" would be thatAsians are "yellow" and Native Americans are "red", and so on. So what are people from Indian Descent if Hispanics already called dibs onbrown?

nerd.gif

It absolutely wasn't failed sarcasm. There are many Asian families who have been here since the early 1900s (Japanese, chinese immigrants who worked on the building the railroads, there is a significant number of Japanese who fought in both world wars...these people are just as American as the rest of us). You assume that every person of Asian descent living in this country is second or third generation. Even then, do you think they would want to be called Yellow Americans? Think about that for a second. Do you think an Asian family who is very much as American as most of us would divorce that part of their heritage and choose to be referred to as Yellow Americans?

Not sure about the examples you posted. I am not Asian. I doubt they refer to themselves as Asian though.

nerd.gif

Just to play Devil's Advocate: You're not necessarily from Asia just because of that. I have cousin who lives, was born, and was raised, in Domincan Republic. His parents are both Dominicans and our Grandparents are also Dominican but he looks totally Asian. I guess somewhere down the line someone in his lineage had sex with an Asian guy/girl and hence his looks.

But to be more specific about that guys argument, he's saying the color thing doesn't pan out so easily with other groups. If African Americans are black, Caucasian Americans are white, I guess Hispanics are Brown (even though my skin is really light), then the next "logical step" would be that Asians are "yellow" and Native Americans are "red", and so on. So what are people from Indian Descent if Hispanics already called dibs on brown?
you kinda missed the point... it wasnt the color, it was the blatant disregard for their roots that he was refering to...

I consider myself african american. my grandmother's grandmother was most likely a decedent from African.

nerd.gif

It absolutely wasn't failed sarcasm. There are many Asian families who have been here since the early 1900s (Japanese, chinese immigrants who worked on the building the railroads, there is a significant number of Japanese who fought in both world wars...these people are just as American as the rest of us). You assume that every person of Asian descent living in this country is second or third generation. Even then, do you think they would want to be called Yellow Americans? Think about that for a second. Do you think an Asian family who is very much as American as most of us would divorce that part of their heritage and choose to be referred to as Yellow Americans?

Not sure about the examples you posted. I am not Asian. I doubt they refer to themselves as Asian though.

So they rather be called Yellow Americans?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by sn00pee

nerd.gif

Just to play Devil's Advocate: You're not necessarily from Asia just because of that. I have cousin who lives, was born, and was raised, in Domincan Republic. His parents are both Dominicans and our Grandparents are also Dominican but he looks totally Asian. I guess somewhere down the line someone in his lineage had sex with an Asian guy/girl and hence his looks.

But to be more specific about that guys argument, he's saying the color thing doesn't pan out so easily with other groups. If African Americans are black, Caucasian Americans are white, I guess Hispanics are Brown (even though my skin is really light), then the next "logical step" would be that Asians are "yellow" and Native Americans are "red", and so on. So what are people from Indian Descent if Hispanics already called dibs on brown?
you kinda missed the point... it wasnt the color, it was the blatant disregard for their roots that he was refering to...

I consider myself african american. my grandmother's grandmother was most likely a decedent from African.

With all do respect what does that have to do with you? How would not wanting to be called African American disregard my roots?
laugh.gif

They don't call you that, "African American" is a phrase i'm pretty sure was decided upon by "African Americans" asthe acceptable term. What you really need to be asking is why they are African Americans and not just Americans? How many African Americanshave even been to Africa? There is nothing African about them...

nerd.gif

So they rather be called Yellow Americans?
grin.gif

grin.gif
I am not sure what your point is I stated I don't know what they want to be called I am not Asian
laugh.gif
all my asian friends go by the country theyare from... Cambodian.....Vietnamese.... Japanese ect.....

Originally Posted by sn00pee

nerd.gif

Yeah I understand, but how far can the "roots argument go. I'll keep using personal examples to illustrate my point: If my friend is so called AfricanAmerican because of his great grandmother's African roots, then who's to say that I'm not African American also. My great grandmother was probablyalso from Africa and brought to the Dominican Republic to be a slave there and work on Platano plantatations. What's the difference between us then? Justbecause my family learned a new language and and intermarried into the Spanish families that colonized us, does that make me any less African American thanyou?

nerd.gif

Dont doubt what you dont know. Asian Americans proudly refer themselves as Asians in general and their respect ethnicity.

Originally Posted by J Burner

They don't call you that, "African American" is a phrase i'm pretty sure was decided upon by "African Americans" as the acceptable term. What you really need to be asking is why is they are African Americans and not just Americans? How many African Americans have even been to Africa? There is nothing African about them...

QFT........Which is essentially what I have been saying...Somebody gets it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by datdude87

^What do you mean? If you're black, your ancestors are from Africa right?
And if your white, that means your English American right? Or Irish American? Or German American..... I can go on. You may think I'm bugginbut this is just one of the raciest things that have just been accepted thru out the years. Blacks will never be 100% Americans lol.

i just call black dudes black, white dudes white, and everybody else in between, i call them by their nationality, unless asian, then i say asian.
grin.gif

i cant tell the difference anymore more and im not trying to play the nationality guessing game.

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

Originally Posted by datdude87

^What do you mean? If you're black, your ancestors are from Africa right?
And if your white, that means your English American right? Or Irish American? Or German American..... I can go on. You may think I'm buggin but this is just one of the raciest things that have just been accepted thru out the years. Blacks will never be 100% Americans lol.

What makes it worse is that there are black dudes in this thread who cosign this with the label of "forgetting ones roots" I am American is that acrime?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom