NT, Recommend Me A Good Book

Anne Frank the diary of a young girl. decided to read it again, its been a while.
Eckhert Tolle any of his
John grisham im trying to chill on reading fiction though
deon sanders power money and sex
Cplin powell my american journal its a boring read
Im reading this Dr. Wayne dyer book the 10 secrets for success and inner peace. Very insightful book, reading it with a tremendously open mind

Originally Posted by Knivesdesu

Some good suggestions in this thread overall though. A welcome change from the normal: "Invisible Monsters! Chuck Palahniuk is the greatest American author EVER!"
This is the second book thread that you've posted some pretentious bull %@!+ like this.
smh.gif
I can guarantee 100% that I read at the same, ifnot a higher reading level than you, and I enjoy reading Palahniuk. I find his books entertaining. So what?

Not all NTers are trying to read "Heart of Darkness" or "Lolita."

I also highly recommend "The Road," by the way.
pimp.gif

American Psycho.

the movie doesnt do the book justice.

bone chilling stuff.

Can someone tell me what Ravens and 'A million little pieces' are about?

Originally Posted by RedMan

I am currently reading "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey.

a_million_little_pieces-large.jpg

This is the list of books I have up to bat after "A Million Little Pieces"
didnt know it was a real book. Towelie's a Million Little Fibers
south-park22.jpg

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Some good suggestions in this thread overall though. A welcome change from the normal: "Invisible Monsters! Chuck Palahniuk is the greatest American author EVER!"
This is the second book thread that you've posted some pretentious bull %@!+ like this.
smh.gif
I can guarantee 100% that I read at the same, if not a higher reading level than you, and I enjoy reading Palahniuk. I find his books entertaining. So what?

I am in the process of getting my Ph.D. in English Lit. currently... So unless by some strange twist of fate you are in your 30's and are currently a publishing Literature professor at a respected university, I would highly doubt that. Feel free to keep reading the literary equivalent of reality television though, I wish you the best of luck with all that.

I am in the process of getting my Ph.D. in English Lit. currently... So unless by some strange twist of fate you are in your 30's and are currently a publishing Literature professor at a respected university, I would highly doubt that. Feel free to keep reading the literary equivalent of reality television though, I wish you the best of luck with all that.
Congratulations, you got me. You also seem like a huge d-bag, so good luck with that. Thank you for constantly reminding the common NTer thatyou're far more sophisticated than the rest of us.

smh.gif
I can guarantee 100% that I read at the same, if not a higher reading level than you, and I enjoy reading Palahniuk. I find his books entertaining. So what?

So you're recommending a more complex level of literature to NT, a board with the the average member in the age bracket of 18-21? When I wasin HS, I didn't even want to read any of the mandatory books.

Who cares what one is reading. As long as he/she is reading something to stimulate his/her mind.

Originally Posted by wj4

smh.gif

So you're recommending a more complex level of literature to NT, a board with the the average member in the age bracket of 18-21? When I was in HS, I didn't even want to read any of the mandatory books.

Who cares what one is reading. As long as he/she is reading something to stimulate his/her mind.
Seriously, and just because Chuck Palahniuk has a minimalistic approach he's an inadequate writer? Stop being a lunchbox.

Thread appreciated.
smokin.gif
I'm not much of a reader but I've beenwanting a book.

Originally Posted by SneakerLips

DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman. Probably the most insightful book I have ever read. Makes you think a lot about reality
I think imma check this out. Sounds intriguing.

Originally Posted by wj4

So you're recommending a more complex level of literature to NT, a board with the the average member in the age bracket of 18-21? When I was in HS, I didn't even want to read any of the mandatory books.

For the most part I would agree with what you are saying here, and since I respect you taking a moment to ask me to clairify my point in a reasonable manner rather than coming off overly emotional and reactionary, I will take a moment to explain.

I have no problem with reading Invisible Monsters, or even Harry Potter or Twilight for the most part. Granted, I think that if you are going to venture the intellectual energy that it takes to read a novel, you might as well go the whole nine and read something that is actually benificial to you as an individual. But if you want to read a book that takes no more than two hours and is not innovative either in style or content, that is really none of my business.

When these threads have historically came up on NT I have offered reasonable suggestions that I felt an 18-21 year old might enjoy reading. I'm not going to come in here to tell you to read Satre or T.S. Elliot for instance, because I don't even enjoy their work most of the time, and I already know it would not be an enjoyable experience for most teens. But I do take issue with the affection the average NTer has for authors like Palahniuk and Ellis (even though I have read multiple books by both authors). About a month ago this topic came up and one of the first responses was that Palahniuk was one of the great American authors, a claim which was rapidly "co-signed" by multiple other members. Now I understand if the most complex book you have read thus far is Catcher in the Rye, making this assertion might not seem so ludicrous, but in the light of a great American literary tradition, this is equivalent to a slap in the face of men that I both respect and admire. Much in the same way that andee51o is getting emotionally distraught because I insulted a man who's work he apparently greatly enjoys, I too might come off pretentious when defending America's great authors. Really my hope is that on a board that runs rampant with pseudo-intellectualism, at least a few people might be encouraged to read something at least a little more dense and worthwhile (this is why I refrained from offering my opinion on Eckhart Tolle for example). If Palahniuk or Ellis are going to comprise the majority of responses in every "Recommend me a book" thread on NT, I don't feel the least bit sorry when I come in and sarcastically tell you that both authors are hacks. If that offends anyone (as apparently it does), my response would be to expand your horizons and you will almost certainly come to agree with me.

Oh, and based an above response, apparently some 18-21 year old NTers ARE trying to read Nabokov, so maybe there is hope left.

Any Paul Coelho book is inspirational. Many lives, many masters - true story about a physchiatrist and his patient who has had other lives before.

Make It Happen by Kevin Liles. It's more of a motivational book rather than a novel but its a real good read

See you at the top
think and grow rich
how to win friends and influence people
million dollar experiment
magic of believing
law of success in 16 lessons
The secret....

Currently reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon...

my bro recommended it to me. Kinda slow in the beginning but picks up quickly.

Originally Posted by wj4

For the most part I would agree with what you are saying here, and since I respect you taking a moment to ask me to clairify my point in a reasonable manner rather than coming off overly emotional and reactionary, I will take a moment to explain.

I have no problem with reading Invisible Monsters, or even Harry Potter or Twilight for the most part. Granted, I think that if you are going to venture the intellectual energy that it takes to read a novel, you might as well go the whole nine and read something that is actually benificial to you as an individual. But if you want to read a book that takes no more than two hours and is not innovative either in style or content, that is really none of my business.

When these threads have historically came up on NT I have offered reasonable suggestions that I felt an 18-21 year old might enjoy reading. I'm not going to come in here to tell you to read Satre or T.S. Elliot for instance, because I don't even enjoy their work most of the time, and I already know it would not be an enjoyable experience for most teens. But I do take issue with the affection the average NTer has for authors like Palahniuk and Ellis (even though I have read multiple books by both authors). About a month ago this topic came up and one of the first responses was that Palahniuk was one of the great American authors, a claim which was rapidly "co-signed" by multiple other members. Now I understand if the most complex book you have read thus far is Catcher in the Rye, making this assertion might not seem so ludicrous, but in the light of a great American literary tradition, this is equivalent to a slap in the face of men that I both respect and admire. Much in the same way that andee51o is getting emotionally distraught because I insulted a man who's work he apparently greatly enjoys, I too might come off pretentious when defending America's great authors. Really my hope is that on a board that runs rampant with pseudo-intellectualism, at least a few people might be encouraged to read something at least a little more dense and worthwhile (this is why I refrained from offering my opinion on Eckhart Tolle for example). If Palahniuk or Ellis are going to comprise the majority of responses in every "Recommend me a book" thread on NT, I don't feel the least bit sorry when I come in and sarcastically tell you that both authors are hacks. If that offends anyone (as apparently it does), my response would be to expand your horizons and you will almost certainly come to agree with me.

Oh, and based an above response, apparently some 18-21 year old NTers ARE trying to read Nabokov, so maybe there is hope left.
I'll use myself as an example. I'm a 23 year old graduate student and I'm 99% certain I will get lost in the books you're into. My field is in science/engineering and when I read for leisure purposes..it's solely to scratch my curiosity in whatever that genre is about. You probablyhave a different perspective as you are an English lit major. The only book that I've never finished was a book that was given to me. I've tried toread it 3-4 times and each time, I found it to be such a boring and confusing book...much like reading an actual textbook.

Candide by Voltaire - it's really short but pretty funny too.
Jesus' Sun by Dennis Johnson - kind of short too but still a pretty good read imo.

i'll give you 3

the way to a peaceful warrior- dan millman
the sacred journey of the peaceful warrior- dan millman
and journey of socrates- dan millman

all great books, and will change your out look on life.

last three books i read:
still life with woodpecker by tom robbins
kitchen confidential by anthony bourdain
not a genuine black man by brian copeland

currently reading:
The Kite Runner by khaled hosseini
In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami

books on the to read list:
the lost symbol by dan brown
new tune, same key by Nick hornby
SAS survival handbook

Back