NT Republicans... Your Definition of AMERICA! Please Explain... Serious Discussion

I really would like to know how NT Republicans define America. When I watch McCain/Palin rallies I hear chants of AMERICA! As if we arenot all Americans.

McCain/Palin often make attempts to make distinctions between REAL AMERICA and what I can only assume is FAKE AMERICA. This bothers me as it tends to DIVIDE America even more.

When I watch the McCain/Palin rallies I see very closed minded individuals who's definition of America SEEMS to be a VERYCONSERVATIVE, CHRISTIAN, and WHITE AMERICA.

What really bothers me about the McCain/Palin campaign is that they seem to have embraced this divisiveness.

I ask. Am I seeing something that is not the case? What is the McCain/Palin Definition of America? Does this differfrom your definition of America.

Oh, you know what they mean. Read between the lines.
nerd.gif

I don't know any reasonable Republican who can defend the statement made by Palin that she likes to campaign in the "real" parts of America.

I guess she meant "real" to mean the parts of America that support her and Mccain.

There's no such thing as a "real" American. Everyone is a real American. This cultural uniqueness is what helps separate America from say China.

Try to find this same type of melting pot anywhere in the world...not hardly.

But then again, I'm no Republican.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Oh, you know what they mean. Read between the lines.
nerd.gif

^
nerd.gif

I know

I guess I am just hoping that there is more to it.

[Plays Trick Daddy - America]

i think republicans generally pride themselves on:

limited/small government (slashing a lot of social programs, curbing of federal power etc)
fiscally conservative
strong defense spending (if not a little hawkish)
free markets with limited/no government intervention.

^
That is a platform.

I am looking for a definition of AMERICA! What is the difference between real and fake America?

from what I have been getting from the videos is that real Americans are white, Christians and conservative

I wonder what native Americans are thinking bout this REAL AMERICAN stuff

Like seriously, this has been on my mind for a while now. A lot of these hardcore conservative throw around these terms so loosely. And two of those terms are'Muslim' and 'Islamic', which, unfortunately, has taken on a negative connotation. I mean, its very sad, the term Muslim have a direct negativeimpact when used in the context in which it has been.

..And to go back to the original question, no I do no consider myself a republican, nor a democrat for that matter; however, I am more than confident that I donot fit the description of a "Real American". You do not have to be an expert in semantics to identify the racial undertones being spread throughoutthe republican campaign. They (GOP) understand their demographic, and they definitely understand how to incite this target, consequently this approach willalienate a various other demographics in this country.

I would go out on a limb and say these videos are not representative of the majority of republicans. Everything they say are taglines that are spewed by SeanHannity and talk show shock jocks.

I live in Texas and go to school in an overwhelmingly red city. There are the real republicans, and the republicans who get their politics from talk radio.

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

^
That is a platform.

I am looking for a definition of AMERICA! What is the difference between real and fake America?
What kind of idiot would say a real or fake America? This thread sucks.

Stop with this Republican/Democrat $*#*.

Unless one is directly benefiting from the Republican/Democrat mafia syndicates than you can't really be a Republican or Democrat. You may think you arebut like Carlin said, "it's a big !%+@+% club and you ain't in it".
laugh.gif

ONE MORE TIME FOR EMPHASIS

Originally Posted by nnarum

October 21, 2008
"Real America" = "Two Americas"
Posted: 12:46 PM ET
Permalink | 200 Comments

John Avlon
Author, Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics

Back when this presidential election began, John Edwards was criticized by many conservatives for using the slogan "Two Americas." It was a vision of America divided between the haves and the have-nots - evidence, many said, of Democrats' instincts toward divisive class warfare.

But recently Republican surrogates have begun using their own equally divisive framing device: "real America".

A McCain adviser argued for their electoral edge in Virginia by saying their candidate would do well in "real Virginia" rather than northern parts of the state - unconsciously echoing former Virginia senator George Allen's infamous "Macaca" moment captured on YouTube when he invited a dark-skinned volunteer for the Webb campaign to visit the "real world of Virginia."

Then Sarah Palin got in the act: "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation." So if real America is pro-American, than there is an unreal America - by implication, the urban areas where most Americans now live - which is somehow inherently anti-American.

Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann helpfully tied it all together by saying that Obama "may have anti-American views" and calling for the media to investigate other Democrats with "anti-American" views in congress. [This would presumably require their removal from office, not just because they would be serving an institution they do not support, but because they all take an oath of office to uphold the constitution].

This is ugly and it has to stop. These may be just slips of the tongue, but they are evidence of an attitude that is just as divisive as John Edwards' "Two Americas" riff. It is an extension of the same analysis - an America that is fundamentally divided and mutually incomprehensible, by values if not economics. And it reinforces the subterranean attacks against Obama, questioning not just his patriotism but his essential American-ness.

As Colin Powell said this past weekend, "We've got to stop this kind of nonsense and pull ourselves together and remember that our great strength is in our unity and our diversity."

Dividing our politics into Real Americans and anti-Americans is not just insulting - especially to those urban Americans who were attacked on 9/11 - it draws on nativist and tribalist instincts that do not reflect the best of America, but the worst.

America is great in large part because patriotism and nationalism are not the same thing. We are not a tribal culture, we are a melting pot - being a fully evolved American requires transcending our tribalism.

Dividing America does not represent the politics that John McCain has fought for all his career. And it is not smart politics for the Republican Party in the long-run. Because the base that they are playing to is parts of the country that are less populated and less diverse. That is not betting on the future of America- it's betting on the past.

IMO, they used the term "Real America" as another word for the middle class, and in reference to those people you see in Chevy commercials. You know,farmers, steel workers, guys working in factories, etc, etc..

It's more of a "class" reference, than one about patriotism.

I mean, when Obama says that, "the middle-class is the backbone of America," does that mean he thinks less of the poor or rich?

In the end, it's just rhetoric, as a Real American, I like to focus on policies.
wink.gif

^

That is a platform.

I TOLD YOU IN THE OTHER THREAD...

LOG OFF
Why should I log off? Am I the spokesperson for McCain and Palin? NO.

i, a republican, real Americans is not a type of person....if i were to tell a group of athletes that they are real athletes then they would get a biggerego.....

macain and palin are trying to get votes...they are down in the polls....if they make the fewer republicans get the 100% vote for him (macain) then he has abetter shot at being president.

thats what i think...

Now that I see the video, it just seems like a misstep. She was even fumbling for words there and found "Pro-America."

It's campaign rhetoric. She's in a small town, and she wanted to make a good impression, so she did that by saying people in that small town were"more American."

Let's not get lost on the issues at hand folks.

Why should I log off? Am I the spokesperson for McCain and Palin? NO.

^
Cause every one of your posts is a FAIL
Why? Proof?
I'm still waiting. Just because you and I don't see eye to eye on political issues doesn't mean I fail. Or you fail either.

^
SINCE YOU KEEP INSISTING

I called you a failure because in your defense of McCain/Palin you ether your own candidate. It is clear that you lack an understanding of What The Heck It Isyour talking about.

Back
Top Bottom